The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

Sounds great to me. No buzzing or fretting out. You could certainly go a little higher so you can dig in more, if that's your thing, but from these two clips it seems you use a softer touch?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sounds great to me. No buzzing or fretting out. You could certainly go a little higher so you can dig in more, if that's your thing, but from these two clips it seems you use a softer touch?
    funny you say that: after reading all the comments here I made a concerted effort to focus on a light touch, and it seems to have made a difference. I am considering recording into GB the slower version of Chestnuts I do on my acoustic for comparison.

thanks for your kind words.

User Info Menu

Teles are VERY touch responsive...they can go from a whisper to a scream just based on touch.

User Info Menu

Maybe I should marry one! ?

User Info Menu

Lol.

Definitely do the recording of the tune!

User Info Menu

Checked out your stuff on YouTube. Very nice and nice jazzy tone on the acoustic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Colonel
    I have fingernails for the acoustic, so I may have to lose those to get the proper touch with the Tele. I use a pick, too.

I added to my original post my first direct-to-Garageband effort using Lollar CC neck pick-up through Apogee Duet (no EQ, effects, nothing - just wanted opinions on the clean sound/tone). It's done finger style with no pick (but with a very helpful metronome that only I could hear). Just added a few seconds with flat pick, too. Pasting them here "for good measure' (cough):

Chestnuts by The Colonel | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Sounds fine to me.

User Info Menu

Thanks. We are always in search of that elusive "Jazz tone..."

User Info Menu

Here's what Julian Lage says about playing a Tele vs an acoustic guitar in the Guitar Player article, "Julian Lage on the Lure of the Telecaster".

(See entire article here: Julian Lage on the Lure of the Telecaster - GuitarPlayer.com )

Does playing the Telecaster require technical adjustments?
    Absolutely. My background is jazz alternate picking, which allows a great deal of flexibility and speed when needed, but, coupled with starting when I was really young, it means I have always had a very hard touch. I always had an image of pulling the sound out of the guitar, even though that’s not necessarily what happens. A lot of the things that are beneficial for pulling the sound out have a way of overpowering the Telecaster. Specifically, it’s the concept that the right hand is in the driver’s seat. There’s a sensuality with the Tele that I don’t hear when I focus on the right hand. When I don’t think about that hand as much, or I think about the left and the right hand together, there is a delicacy and a swiftness that is rewarded. You still want to resonate the body and the neck, but you’re going a shorter distance. You’re trying to make something impactful that will travel the half inch to the pickups, and from the pickups to the amp. I don’t feel like I’m driving a Telecaster the way I am driving an acoustic guitar. I’ve come to look at the Tele, the amp, and my technique as one instrument.

I’ve never heard or played through a Quilter that I liked. Sterile. And yeah I’ve heard all the nice things about them. Go tubes. Even for jazz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Wow, that's a serious case! Congrats on your recovery!

I feel relaxed now, did not destroy my economy, but i had to save with other things. I am not in debt, and never was, but it was kinda hard.

User Info Menu

I have fingernails for the acoustic, so I may have to lose those to get the proper touch with the Tele. I use a pick, too.

I added to my original post my first direct-to-Garageband effort using Lollar CC neck pick-up through Apogee Duet (no EQ, effects, nothing - just wanted opinions on the clean sound/tone). It's done finger style with no pick (but with a very helpful metronome that only I could hear). Just added a few seconds with flat pick, too. Pasting them here "for good measure' (cough):

That sounds good to me.

John

User Info Menu

Your tone sounds good to me. It is warm and clean, with healthy upper-midrange clarity. Very nice!

User Info Menu

I may just do that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Your tone sounds good to me. It is warm and clean, with healthy upper-midrange clarity. Very nice!
    Thank you so much. The playing -- like me -- is a work in progress.

User Info Menu

Thanks, John. I may have gotten ahead of myself with the up-tempo version, instead of the slower, ballad-like chord melody version I started with. I worked it out first on the piano last year and it migrated to the guitar.

User Info Menu

I think the sound is fine, and remarkably similar when playing with nails and the pick. We all use technique to arrive to the sound we have in our heads, no matter what the gear is. I personally had to find a compromising solution between electrics, acoustics, jazz guitars, etc, something that doesn't require too much of a different technique when changing instruments. So the electrics get the high action. It also has to do with the energy you have when playing live, where higher action definitely works better for me.

It is very easy to experiment with action and relief on a tele, so spending some time doing that will help. My ideal action suits my preferred attack, not the other way around. And I strongly agree with Julian Lages opinions on playing softly, I remember him saying that about acoustics too. I go after dynamics, I like the guitar to support both a whisper and a shout, and not all instruments can do that with a low action. I've found the factory proposed settings on Fender and Gibson to be a good start.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I think the sound is fine, and remarkably similar when playing with nails and the pick. We all use technique to arrive to the sound we have in our heads, no matter what the gear is. I personally had to find a compromising solution between electrics, acoustics, jazz guitars, etc, something that doesn't require too much of a different technique when changing instruments. So the electrics get the high action. It also has to do with the energy you have when playing live, where higher action definitely works better for me.

It is very easy to experiment with action and relief on a tele, so spending some time doing that will help. My ideal action suits my preferred attack, not the other way around. And I strongly agree with Julian Lages opinions on playing softly, I remember him saying that about acoustics too. I go after dynamics, I like the guitar to support both a whisper and a shout, and not all instruments can do that with a low action. I've found the factory proposed settings on Fender and Gibson to be a good start.
    Thank you and thanks for the sage words.

-Colonel

User Info Menu

I'd try raising the action first, then if you still feel the same way, put .12s on
    I have .11s on my '52 reissue, but the frets are tiny, and i use it for rock as well as jazz, so I'm gonna put bigger frets on one day soon, if you're not bending the strings, I'd try .12s with fairly low action, if there is no buzz, go low

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    I'd try raising the action first, then if you still feel the same way, put .12s on
    I have .11s on my '52 reissue, but the frets are tiny, and i use it for rock as well as jazz, so I'm gonna put bigger frets on one day soon, if you're not bending the strings, I'd try .12s with fairly low action, if there is no buzz, go low
    Thanks - will do.

User Info Menu

Aside. One thing that really bugs me is fret buzz. Some folks don't mind it if it isn't coming through the pickup, but still