The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I finally got my "dream" amp, well maybe a Fuchs ODS would be fun too, but I digress. I have a Katana Artist that I've enjoyed for its base tones as well as using as a pedal platform for the wide range of music I try and play. I had been feeling like I've been missing out on tubey goodness, even though the Katana is supposed to be one of the best at supplanting that type of feel and sound.

Needless to say, the Skylark is on a different level. I have a Archer Ikon in front of it too just for fun, but the amp is plenty robust by itself and I was getting an unbelievable range of tones with just the amp. My office/jam room is right below the bedroom with a sleeping wife, so the attenuator is appreciated as well.

Right now I have just two guitars, a AVRI Strat and a MIJ Tokai ESxxx, which is just like a 335. I loaded it with OX4's as well.

So I'm wondering if any of you have enjoyed the Skylark, and did you get some suitable jazz tones out of it? I'm wondering if I need either an EQ pedal or a true hollowbody to coax what I'm thinking about, you know, like Wes Montgomery sounds. I'm focusing on learning all these chords at the moment and Autumn Leaves as well, as I'm just starting out with jazz. I played jazz saxophone a long time ago, but haven't tried jazz guitar until now. I think sometimes it's easier to learn a style of music if the tone is there, or at least in the ball park.

Sorry for the long-winded, convoluted thread. The coffee is lacking at this point.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapthatplank
    So I'm wondering if any of you have enjoyed the Skylark, and did you get some suitable jazz tones out of it?:
    Yes. I love my Skylark!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapthatplank
    Sorry for the long-winded, convoluted thread. The coffee is lacking at this point.
    Sorry for the brief reply. Coffee is lacking here too.

User Info Menu

Congrats! Carr's are rare here in northern Europe, so I have zero experience.

But my fellow Finnish countryman Kari Antila does get a great jazz sound out of Skylark:

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your new Skylark!

User Info Menu

I have the 4 lb heavier Rambler which doesn't distort at all at room volumes. I am enjoying it a lot, Carr amps are great !

User Info Menu

Here ya go, this is what I'm working with these days. I really like the croc-style wrap on the amp too, it certainly adds to the atmosphere when you're diving into some swampy blues!

Carr Skylark Experiences-img_0757-jpg

User Info Menu

I had a Sportsman which was wonderful, but had to sell for $$$
    I would really love to try the Skylark... my favorite amp ever though, is the Carr Rambler... I love 6L6s

User Info Menu

I had one but I sold it. That's not to say it's not a great amp, just wasn't for me. In fact, when I listed it, it sold within a single day.

For anyone who wants to improve this amp for jazz, replace the Celestion A type speaker with a Cannabis Rex. Trust me.