Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Got to see Bill Frisell and Julian Lage perform together last night in small, maybe 300 seat, concert hall. Checked out the gear, of course.

The stage had a smallish 335ish Collins with small humbuckers in front of a Deluxe Reverb with one unidentifiable pedal. Didn’t get that close. There was also the expected Tele, never got close enough to see the pickups, connected to a large string of pedals into a Hot Rod Deluxe.

Had a laugh when they came out and Frisell grabbed the Collins and Lage the Tele. Julian never touched any of his pedals while Frisell constantly adjusted his one. Sounded like some kind of Delay Reverb combo.

The music was most excellent. Mostly American Songbook. Shenandoah had me in tears. Incredible sound.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ahhhh...I'm so jealous I'm searching for that gig on youtube everyday to see if I can hear just a single song. I'll keep waiting!

Did they play any of Lage songs?

User Info Menu

Hi Ted,

Bill's single pedal on these dates has been a Strymon Flint (reverb+tremolo in one pedal).

Julian's pedalboard comprises a mini Turbo Tuner, JHS Superbolt, JHS Morning Glory and a Strymon Flint.

Embarrassed to admit I’m not familiar with Lage’s discography, a situation I will begin to remedy today. There were a couple of songs with, choppy?, rhythms led by Lage that I assumed were his.

User Info Menu

If I am not mistaken, the Deluxe Reverb that JL uses onstage these days is a Magic Amplification Vibro Deluxe.

Might well have been. I could tell it was an odd deluxe and guessed a hot rod.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    The music was most excellent. Mostly American Songbook. Shenandoah had me in tears. Incredible sound.
    I was in the same concert yesterday. So great. I was in tears, too.

User Info Menu

I posted in this in another thread. From the show at UCLA last week. Looks like Julian has a P90 in his Tele.

Frisell Lage show gear report-frisell-lage-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I posted in this in another thread. From the show at UCLA last week. Looks like Julian has a P90 in his Tele.
    actually that might be a lollar p90 staple pickup...doesnt use screw pole pieces and bar magnets like a typical p90...uses rectangular alnico magnets as the actual pole pieces...

cheers

User Info Menu

You've got some kind of eyes, neatomic. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Bill was playing that Collings at a show at Jazz at Lincoln Center a few weeks back, I wasn't crazy about his tone that night, through a silverface princeton

User Info Menu

Frisell Lage show gear report-78365571_10156635020717623_6071525533819076608_o-jpg
    Frisell Lage show gear report-79000707_10156635020962623_1801233958805962752_o-jpg
    Frisell Lage show gear report-79731284_10156635020947623_2457803625070592_o-jpg

From the CAP UCLA facebook page. More pics here if you can see this link...

CAP UCLA - Photos | Facebook

User Info Menu

Caught them at the Ent Center in Colorado Springs Friday, Dec 6. Full house of around 300 and except during the applause, you could hear a pin drop during the whole performance. Songs ranged from Days of Wine and Roses, a couple of blues, Shenandoah, Seven Come Eleven, All the Things You Are, Someday My Prince Will Come and more that I can't recall or don't know by name.

I really hope they release a live recording from one of these shows during this short tour. It really was a very special evening!

User Info Menu

That Collings.... I-35?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Hi Ted,

Bill's single pedal on these dates has been a Strymon Flint (reverb+tremolo in one pedal).

Julian's pedalboard comprises a mini Turbo Tuner, JHS Superbolt, JHS Morning Glory and a Strymon Flint.
    I haven't seen the Superbolt on Lage's board in a while. It seems to have been replaced by a Shin-ei B1G and a Boss EQ-pedal.

User Info Menu

Both great players and guys...

Frisell plays with Lucinda Williams, and Lage plays with Wilco, and that's enough to vouch for them in my opinion...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Both great players and guys...

Frisell plays with Lucinda Williams, and Lage plays with Wilco, and that's enough to vouch for them in my opinion...
    LOL, perspectives differ... "Wilco plays with Lage? I should check them out..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat

Frisell Lage show gear report-frisell-lage-jpg
    Julian's Tele with a P90 is a new creation from Nacho Banos.

User Info Menu

FYI the Collings is a custom I-30 LC with humbuckers. Fully hollow with trestle bracing.