The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 112

User Info Menu

I really like my CP Thornton Improv. The craftsmanship is phenomenal. I've had mine a couple of years and it's still a joy to pick it up.

I replaced the Lollar Low Winds with underwound P92s. I'm happy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sorry to differ but the Bambino is not heavy unless you're comparing to a mandolin. Now a Les Paul that's heavy!

User Info Menu

I have a Cort M800 which I really like. It's a very versatile guitar but sounds great for jazz, it's very small and lite, a thinline fully hollow, except a small block glued to the top under the stop tailpiece and bridge.

"Best" Small Jazz Guitar (Archtop)-cort-m800-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I really like my CP Thornton Improv. The craftsmanship is phenomenal. I've had mine a couple of years and it's still a joy to pick it up.

That's Tony Gaboury, my neighbor. I've had the privilege of backing him (on upright bass) many times over the years. The last time I showed up at a jam session to play some guitar, well, there was Tony -- and I had to follow him!

Chuck Thornton builds a fine guitar but the fundamental fact is that Tony Gaboury can make a rubber band sound like the voice of the gods. Tony's mainstay is a Heritage 335. He plays low-line Telecasters a lot too. When we first met he had a 70s Ibanez double-cut LP model.

Tony is living proof of the oldest adage: "It's the ear, not the gear."

FWIW my #1 grab-and-go guitar is an Eastman El Rey 1 which, it turns out, once belonged to Tony. He told me he dug the neck but the fingerboard was too flat for his taste. I'm mighty happy with it, and all the more so having installed a Benedetto B6.
    Last edited by Sam Sherry; 01-31-2015 at 10:40 PM.

User Info Menu

While I didn't use my Eastman 905 archtop much since I (re-) discovered the telecaster like 10 years ago I feel the need to explore it more. I stopped using my beautiful hand carved, full body instrument due to the feedback issues it gave me. I also have an ibanez artcore – kind of the pedestrian version of the geaorge benson model – that doesn't really cut it for me. It plays nicely but the tone is a bit flat.
    I also gravitated away from jazz to blues and soul – but in the last couple of years we incorporated more and more jazz tunes in our repertoire. I am mostly playing the telecasters neck pickup into a clean fender amp – a tone that would inspire me for the rest of my musical life – but anyway ...

So now I would like to try a smaller archtop that's build for stage use and high volume without the "boooo". It should also be able to play some soul and funk but I think that's what these can do anyway ... Let's just say it should not sound too dark.
    I am also open to suggestion for semi hollows (the 335 would be an obvious choice)

What would you suggest:

Ibanez GB10 – the classic? (How about the new china made SE-version? Does it hold up or should I go for the made in Japan pricy version?)
    D'Angelico SS – is that an archtop or a semi hollow – I find the information a bit confusing on these.

Anything else you can suggest?

User Info Menu

15" PRS JA-15. JGF member Eric Rowland has one for sale with the coveted 53/10 pickups. PM him.

15" Collings Soco or Soco LC. 15" Collings Eastside Jazz LC. Maybe not the Eastside Jazz LC as it is a fully hollow body but worth checking out.

PRS Hollowbody 2 Singlecut.

I am looking at acquiring one of these at the moment.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-12-2017 at 03:10 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a ES 335 Dot in natural finish for sale too, should you decide its for you (that was subtle).

But seriously, what about a jazz-oriented Telecaster?

Or a thinline Tele with a CC or PAF h/bucker pickup?

You could still fall back on the bridge pickup for r 'n' r tunes.

Or a Jazzmaster with the neck pickup tone circuit. I'm in a covers band and I use a Jazzmaster with flats. It's surprising just how many genres it will cover comfortably with a tone tweak here and an o/drive pedal there.

User Info Menu

I like small body archie's too, my main guitar is a VB model 14. I have a GB10 and they are really versatile guitars especially if you put roundwound strings on them. Also if you look you can find Japanese made GB10's at good prices for early 2000's models.

User Info Menu

For a lower priced GB, see if anything is floating around Ebay as a GB10JS. They were made in Korea very briefly and are excellent guitars. They also have a charming acoustic quality that's missing from the Japanese big brothers, IMO. Sadowsky Jimmy Bruno fits the bill for a 15" with full size Humbuckers. And the cheap little Ibanez's with one pickup change can give you an amazing transformation for a very affordable investment, but make sure that you like the neck. That aforementioned GB10JS has a neck that's indistinguishable from the Japanese. I've got both. Love them both. Really usable professional quality instruments.

David

User Info Menu

Small bodied archtops have been around for a while...
    Keith
    "Best" Small Jazz Guitar (Archtop)-image-jpeg

User Info Menu

If you want to go the semi route, it would behoove you to check out the Carvin SH550. I've been using my SH575 (same guitar but with added piezo) in loud settings in lieu of my archtop, and it sounds great, better than any other semi I've used. Very "plucky" sound, very even freq response across the board, and none of that nasty peaky upper-midrange honk that you get from most semis. You can pick up used ones for very reasonable prices, under $2k, if you are patient and quick on the draw.

"Best" Small Jazz Guitar (Archtop)-carvin-sh550-jpg

User Info Menu

If you have the cash, a Benedetto Bambino should work. Very feedback resistant without f holes, and it can cover most sounds. I really like mine. They're occasionally available used for a reasonable price.

User Info Menu

I'd like to try a Carvin SH550 one day. Great concept and execution.

Also, loves me some GB10, or any of the small bodied 'GB' variants for their compact size, consistent high quality as well as durability.

Another small archtop is the full hollow, Gibson Johnny A. Signature. Its been discussed a bit around here. Now Gibson offers it with a Spruce top, making it more of a contender for jazz players desiring a smaller body instrument. JA's are incredibly lightweight and beautiful sounding instruments.

User Info Menu

Why, a lovely Hofner Jazzica would fit the bill perfectly - carved top, 15 7/8" wide, wedge shaped body, ebony soundhole plugs included, 16th fret neck/body joint, feedback resistant design, definitely not too dark...Coincidentally, I have a few for sale!

Here's one with a custom paint job and custom wiring:

This is what the wedge body shape looks like:

These will be ready to go at the end of the summer, wired up any way you want:

22 or 24 frets - your choice:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    D'Angelico SS – is that an archtop or a semi hollow – I find the information a bit confusing on these.
    My understanding is that there are now 2 versions of the EX-SS Standard:

- a traditional one with D'Angelico art deco trapeze tailpiece, which has only a small block of wood under the bridge. To me, while intermediate between full hollow and semi hollow constructions, it leans towards the hollow side (strong attack, short sustain...).

- a semi-hollow version with full center block and stop tailpiece, which I have not tried

It seems that not all finishes are available in both versions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    ...Another small archtop is the full hollow, Gibson Johnny A. Signature. Its been discussed a bit around here. Now Gibson offers it with a Spruce top, making it more of a contender for jazz players desiring a smaller body instrument. JA's are incredibly lightweight and beautiful sounding instruments.
    Fantastic guitars, IMO - I've played a bunch of them and was really impressed. They are mostly hollow, not fully hollow, however - the ones I have played were each built with a small integrated block connecting the back and top, underneath the bridge area.

User Info Menu

archtop.com has a couple of Schaefer Fred Hamilton models for sale right now. Full disclosure: the one that is $100 more expensive but in mint condition is mine. I was actually going to travel to pick it up this weekend (it has not sold during the consignment period) but I can't do that until later this month, so it's still available! It's as good as anything else you will ever find...Andersens, Buscarinos, Hopkins, etc (which I've either owned or still own), and a lot better than most.

"Best" Small Jazz Guitar (Archtop)-schaefer-fred-hamilton-jpg

User Info Menu

Full hollow, even with a small body, and semi-hollow are two different musical worlds. To me a hollow body guitar is a jazz guitar, it can sort of do other things but its voice will always be a jazz voice. A semi hollow, besides the feedback resistance, has a different bite and attack, less "weight" on the notes and voicings, etc. Maybe your first decision should be, semi or full hollow? From then on, i 'd start playing instruments and not get too hang up on brands. Or go with the classic and get a gibson 335 . D 'angelicos are fine guitars, and often a bargain when used.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Full hollow, even with a small body, and semi-hollow are two different musical worlds.
    There is a lot of differences in semi's too, not all have full center block, some various sizes of small blocks, even my 70's 335 the center block has opening from neck to just before bridge pickup. They there are the ones with a floating block and those vary in size from small block to hold bridge and stopbar, to bigger blocks that don't attack to the back of the guitar. Recently guitars being called semi the "block" is actually where the top of the guitar is CNC routed to have thicker block-like areas in the top.

The guitar like 335's with bridge and a stopbar the distance from bridge to stopbar varies. From what I heard Gibson has used at least three different distances over the years. Then semi's with brige and a trapese tailpieces.

So I agree need to make decision between fully hollow or semi, but if semi there is still a world of differences to investigate.

User Info Menu

I have been very pleased with my Gibson ES-275. Jazz, blues, R&B. It has a unique voice. Kind of between a 335 and a 175.

There is also a P90 version.

"Best" Small Jazz Guitar (Archtop)-gibson-es-275-jpg

User Info Menu

I have an D'Angelico EX-SS with the block under the bridge. I like it because it has less feedback than my EXL-1 and I typically use the ss for "loud" gigs and the exl for trio or duos. I used the ss for a funk/r&b gig last night and it sounded great. I had an Epi Sheraton II, but really like the fact that I can get a jazzier tone with SS and limited feedback. I've been really happy with D'Angelico.

"Best" Small Jazz Guitar (Archtop)-dangelico-ex-ss-jpg

User Info Menu

5 lb compact semi-hollow. Same voice as a full size heavier semi in part because of the high grade solid wood.

"Best" Small Jazz Guitar (Archtop)-grez-mendocino-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Guild M-75 Aristocrat, 13.5" full hollow laminated archtop without f-holes, approx. Les Paul sized but light as a feather and huge tone.

"Best" Small Jazz Guitar (Archtop)-guild-m-75-artistocrat-jpg

User Info Menu

An observation about larger vs smaller vintage archtops: it seems to me that the smaller archtops like the Epiphone Olympic favored by David Rawlings have a unique pronounced midrange tone that the larger boxes don't have. A similar flavor can apparently be replicated in the smaller high end archtops currently being produced by companies like Waterloo.

User Info Menu

Wich Archtop guitar would you recommend for somebody with small hands and a small posture?

My budget is around € 1000 to € 1500 ( $1100 to $1600)
    Last edited by Hellena; 12-09-2019 at 11:29 AM.