The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 62

User Info Menu

What do you think about the Eastman Romeo?

New Eastman Romeo, WDYT?-eastman-romeo-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's a new model, designed by Otto D'Ambrosio. Announced at Summer NAMM 2019 and just now beginning to appear in stores.

Review: Review: Eastman Romeo - Guitar.com | All Things Guitar

User Info Menu

Yeah, they came out earlier this year. Solid spruce top, but we don't know how it's braced.

User Info Menu

Guitars in this class depend a huge amount on all the variables that you cant see in a photo: interior design and engineering, neck construction, bridge seating, pickups etc. I'd have to hear a few reliable first hand reports before I'd consider it.

User Info Menu

I like that headstock design much more than the traditional Eastman design. I like a relatively straight string pull, and the normal Eastman design results in a strong bend at the nut. If I were in the market for a semi, and I'm not, I would certainly consider this model, given my previous Eastman experience.

User Info Menu

It looks a little like a Samick Greg Bennett Royale.
    Another semi-hollow thinline electric guitar. I guess it's good to have options....

Looks like an old harmony...

User Info Menu

Eastman is calling it "an original design"

I think Otto was influenced strongly by the Fret King John Etheridge except the FK has the controls more logically placed behind the bridge and it has a pickguard.

Also, The FK is about half the price of the Eastman.

User Info Menu

I like the overall concept, but it needs a pickguard.

User Info Menu

Looks pretty cool to me. I wonder how much of the interior is blocked.

User Info Menu

Looks too much like a Chuck P. Thornton guitar for my liking. I like CP Thornton and his guitars, and I hope Eastman does the right thing by the man.

Edit: I just read that it was designed by Otto D'Ambrosio. Oh well, still reminds me of a CP Thornton.

User Info Menu

The problem with the Eastmans is the price, they're too expensive

User Info Menu

The Romeo has a small block under the bridge. This model from the specs I've read uses a 1 11/16 nut width vs their usual 1 3/4". I like what Otto had done with the headstock. I wish my ElRey's had the same. Pickups are Lollar Imperials with a low wind and they sound pretty good to my ears.

User Info Menu

Not bad, a little generic looking. The f-holes look too "low" or something.

Not sure the world needed another semi hollow (or thinline hollow with a little block under the bridge) but here we are. I mean, they sell...see the 10,000 335 copies out there.

Personally, I wish Eastman would push ideas like the El Rey. That was a really cool design, with very little else out there like it.

User Info Menu

Looks like a bad copy of a Collings SoCo, IMO.
    Tragically wrong f-hole placement.
    I'll check it out at NAMM - I'm sure it will play and sound fine.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 12-10-2019 at 06:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Personally, I wish Eastman would push ideas like the El Rey. That was a really cool design, with very little else out there like it.
    Yeah. But the first ER's were 14"(?), then the ER4 is 16". I'd be awfully tempted at a 15" model.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately for everyone who likes innovation or something different there are 20 others who want the status quo. Guitar players are in general a hidebound and dogmatic bunch. And while guitar players say they want new and different ideas, they don't vote with their pocketbook.

User Info Menu

Kinda like this Scero:

New Eastman Romeo, WDYT?-scero-cavo-jpg

User Info Menu

Hmm.. when there are 5 different 'looks like one of these' does that mean it's an original design?

I do like it. Think it looks good in a conservative sort of way. I like slim hollow bodies with a block just under the bridge. And a solid spruce top. And the Lollar pickups. If I didn't have something similar would be looking into these. After all, a full block semi like the Gibson 335 is just a skinny Les Paul with wings.

User Info Menu

Hard crowd to please,lol! I like it,but have to play one before making a final judgement on it.
    I do wish that they would offer bigger neck shapes as an upgrade.

User Info Menu

I got the Romeo 10 days ago and I love it. It has all what I want:
    exquiste sound, less than 2,5 kg, 44 mm neck, looks beautiful and the price is ok.
    It is my favorite electric guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Looks like a bad copy of a Collings SoCo, IMO.
    Tragically wrong f-hole placement.
    Spot on, Hammer. Collings CL Jazz:

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I like that headstock design much more than the traditional Eastman design.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Agreed. One of the things I like about my ER4 is that it's not a knockoff of any particular instrument. You can see where Otto refers to elements of Steve Klein, Ken Parker and others but it's not "The xxx Model."

User Info Menu

Perhaps a bit more SoCo than CL (given the block/tune-o-matic/stop tp), but the intent is there.
    Great idea to knock off the Collings at a significantly lower price point:
    Attached Images Attached Images New Eastman Romeo, WDYT?-collings-soco-jpg 

User Info Menu

I’m wondering if anyone has a review to share about this? It seems to check many of the boxes I’m looking for, albeit in a slightly higher price bracket. I’ve heard that availability will become a little better come April/May.
    Last edited by telejw; 02-07-2020 at 04:15 PM.

User Info Menu

There is a review on Guitar Player and Premier magazines. Very favorable on both reviews!