The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 62

User Info Menu

I have not played a Romeo (which is what I think you mean!), but I love Eastman guitars. I have owned half a dozen over the past 5-6 years, most recently purchasing a T184MX. I know that doesn't help directly, but I almost always recommend Eastman to people.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Perhaps a bit more SoCo than CL (given the block/tune-o-matic/stop tp), but the intent is there.
    Great idea to knock off the Collings at a significantly lower price point:
    CL is carved spruce like Romeo right, SoCo seems like it's plywood maple.

User Info Menu

I played it a few weeks ago, the one with two humbuckers. I was there for a test drive on the Heritage 575 which I didn't like.

I thought the neck on the Romeo felt a little fatter than my T64 and SB59. Also a bit wider maybe. Not love at first feel for me. The tone was surprisingly airy, more than my T64, yet with more sustain than the T64, which all makes sense, considering the specs. Very good fret access, very light, very resonant. I considered buying it, but didn't, now I consider it again, but I already have too many guitars. There's also a clip somewhere of an Eastman sales rep saying that the Romeo makes for a complete new platform on which they will build different types of guitars, including bigger archtops.

You should try to play it. I liked the looks. The headstock is small, but it's a bit of a unique guitar.

User Info Menu

Ever since I got a Byrdland last year I've been fascinated by carved spruce top electrics. It's a got mellower attack, richer tone and more dynamics compared to my other guitars. But I don't prefer the 17 inch body (even though it's not very deep). I'm looking for a smaller, lighter guitar with similar characteristics. Romeo is a good candidate but I suppose they are not gonna be easy to come by.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    CL is carved spruce like Romeo right, SoCo seems like it's plywood maple.
    I was just commenting on the overall shape/look and hardware configuration.
    For clarity:
    -Romeo is carved (I bet that Eastman will introduce a laminated version if the model does well);
    -Collings CL Jazz is carved;
    -Collings Soco Deluxe is carved;
    -Collings Soco LC is laminated.

User Info Menu

Collings is also 3x more $$$ as well! Collings makes wonderful guitars, but you defi Italy pay for it. Eastman makes wonderful guitars as well a d the bo us is they player affordable.

Comes down to playing them and finding which fits you best. Ive ended up with both a reissue 1958 ES-335 and a CS ES-339 that suit me tastes and styles well.
    Although I do miss my Benedetto Bambino Std .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I was just commenting on the overall shape/look and hardware configuration.
    For clarity:
    -Romeo is carved (I bet that Eastman will introduce a laminated version if the model does well);
    -Collings CL Jazz is carved;
    -Collings Soco Deluxe is carved;
    -Collings Soco LC is laminated.
    Yeah Romeo is carved spruce though like CL Jazz. It's basically carved spruce archtop Tele. I can't wait to try one, carved spruce electric sound of 2 grands:

User Info Menu

Tele, except with two humbuckers, set neck, archtop, hollow body, etc. Just like a Tele, except entirely different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Tele, except with two humbuckers, set neck, archtop, hollow body, etc. Just like a Tele, except entirely different.
    You just need to look closer (I didn't say just like Tele BTW read again)
    Attached Images Attached Images New Eastman Romeo, WDYT?-romeo-sc_thinline__erb1_1219-jpg 
    Last edited by Tal_175; 06-05-2020 at 08:51 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't see that the body shape is all that much like a Tele, certainly no more than many others. But please do note the emoji.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I don't see that the body shape is all that much like a Tele, certainly no more than many others. But please do note the emoji.
    Interesting , I just found this. Apparently the designer of the guitar Otto D'Ambrosio started out this model with the question: “What would the Telecaster of the archtop-guitar world look and sound like?":

New Romantic
    Last edited by Tal_175; 12-30-2020 at 07:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Well, that's an interesting way to design a guitar, I guess. It has no attraction for me, but then a real Tele has little attraction. Yes, the body shape is vaguely similar, but no more than many others. If the object was to sound and look like a Tele, I think Otto missed the mark, but to me that's probably a good thing. I do wish Eastman luck with it, and I think they make excellent guitars for a reasonable price. I just don't see the Tele in it, but maybe my eyes are the problem.

User Info Menu

I bought a Romeo about two months ago - came with dual Bare Knuckle humbuckers - and wow - I love the sound and the feel of this guitar. It is super light and well balanced on my lap. I'll try to get a review up in the near future. Until then, +1 for this guitar.

User Info Menu

I like the look and specs for this guitar. If this came with the 1 3/4" nut width, I'd probably have picked this up. I like that they attempted to fix their head stock issue. That change is a direct result of Otto D'Ambrosio's influence. I use a String Butler on my ElRey to address the string pull. I look forward to your review.

User Info Menu

I bought mine in June (I think) and I have played it a lot. I started of with D'A chromes, switched to TI Swings and replaced the wound G with a plain G and now it sounds superb. It's very comfortable to play, seated and standing up. I really, really like the fact that the neck is so close to the center of your body. With a Tele, I need to reach more to the left, while with the Romeo, it's all very compact. Much like the difference between a 335 and 330 I guess.

While I find my T64 (330) a tad too large to play seated on a couch, the Romeo is just a bit smaller.

Sound wise, it can do a number of things. You can get almost strat like sounds, but also very dark jazz tones with the very responsive tone control. Mine has the Lollar pups. They're great. Bare Knuckles are great too, I haven't played them. The tone is very airy/hollow, yet far less susceptible to feedback than my T64.

I also like the look and the fact that the headstock provides excellent tuning stability.

If you think they're too expensive for 'a Chinese guitar' it's not for you. My 'made in USA' Telecaster which costs the same as the Romeo doesn't have the refinement in build quality this Eastman has. It might depreciate faster than a Tele, but maybe it won't. After all, they're very, very fine guitars that are not mass produced. Who knows what will happen. I won't be selling this one.

User Info Menu

The videos show two hum buckers, yet the picture (in the original post) show a strange kind of single-coil. Any more information on that?

User Info Menu

There are two versions: the Romeo SC (single coil) and the 'normal' Romeo. The Romeo came with Lollar Imperial hum buckers, but due to covid Eastman made a couple (I think only 20-30) with Bare Knuckles pups.

User Info Menu

There are not really any videos demonstrating jazz tones on the Romeo. I found this one though a while ago. My Thai is pretty rusty, but I get the impression they like it. Mine sounds a bit more 'airy' though. A lot depends on strings, amps, etc.

Tones start around 3:15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    I like the look and specs for this guitar. If this came with the 1 3/4" nut width, I'd probably have picked this up. I like that they attempted to fix their head stock issue. That change is a direct result of Otto D'Ambrosio's influence. I use a String Butler on my ElRey to address the string pull. I look forward to your review.
    I'd like a 1 3/4" nut AND a 25 1/2" scale length. I mean, if it's supposed to be the archtop answer to the Tele!

But I guess the only 25 1/2" scale length Eastman does is on their top archtops.

User Info Menu

As far as I know, all of Eastman's archtops including their high end have a 25" scale length. Their flatop acoustics have a 25.4 and their Romeo, ES 335 types and solid bodies have a 24 3/4" length.

User Info Menu

Looks like the first Eastman that kinda grabs me.
    To each his own but ... I`d do something with that big ol upper horn and put the pickup selector up there.
    And somehow I see a Bigsby on it (as I said ...to each his own)
    I guess it`d have to be a B5 like a Hamer Newport
    Look forward to playing one

User Info Menu

I picked one up last spring. Replaced the neck Lollar with a Fralin p92. It’s become my main guitar. When gigs return I plan to use it in my main band. It definitely has the uber compact feel of a 330, but sounds very different. Extremely light, great sustain thanks to the block under the bridge. Hangs well on a strap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D.G.
    I picked one up last spring. Replaced the neck Lollar with a Fralin p92. It’s become my main guitar. When gigs return I plan to use it in my main band. It definitely has the uber compact feel of a 330, but sounds very different. Extremely light, great sustain thanks to the block under the bridge. Hangs well on a strap.
    Can you describe the difference between the Lollar and the Fralin? You have a sound clip maybe somewhere?
    It does sound different than the ES330, just like you said. And very compact indeed, but with much better fret access than the 330.

I tried this Duesberg Les Trem on my Romeo, but it wasn't stable enough for me. It didn't fit straight out of the box though. I had to slightly modify it.
    New Eastman Romeo, WDYT?-img_5744-jpg

User Info Menu

I think it would sound MUCH better if 2.25" or more deep and 15.5 inch wide .

'Big Romeo'.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 01-08-2021 at 05:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    Can you describe the difference between the Lollar and the Fralin?
    I don’t get along with standard neck humbuckers, I always swap them out. The Fralin p92 is bright, kinda like an underwound p90, but with a bit more compression. Pretty firm on the wound strings.