The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Just wanted to give a shout out to Geoff Felsher of Raezer's Edge. I have spent a couple months auditioning SS heads and have chosen the Luna.

It's a great sounding head in the tradition of the Acoustic Image Clarus but has tone controls that are much closer to what you'd get out of a fender amp. Having a working treble control is important to me because many of the other "jazz" heads have either a treble control placed too high (above the speaker range) or too low (upper mids). This means if you want to vary your tone from Metheny to Benson, it's impossible to do. Not so on the Luna. All 3 tone controls are placed perfectly and you can go from dark metheny to rock tones. There is no overdrive but it takes pedals just fine. The model I have is the basic model without reverb since I always travel with my digitech RV-7 but they make a head with reverb as well as a 700w version. I'm probably going to get the 700w version so I can use it for bass as well.

Look for some demos soon. If you check my youtube page, there are clips of some gigs using the luna and also using the Raezer's Edge Sol amplifiers. The Sol is also fantastic but I'll highlight that later!

Luna 200 - Raezer's Edge

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

While I've been aware of these amps and cabs for a decade at least, looks like finding them anywhere in Europe is a needle-in-a-haystack exercise. Of the three European resellers listed on RE's website, the one serving "Continental Europe" just doesn't seem to exist, another - specializing in classical instruments - promises something on their website shortly, and the third isn't any more convincing. Direct ordering is OK, but then you have to go through the rigmarole of customs clearance and VAT, based on the retail price you pay. This way, a Luna becomes prohibitively expensive. Any suggestions out there?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Direct ordering is OK, but then you have to go through the rigmarole of customs clearance and VAT, based on the retail price you pay. This way, a Luna becomes prohibitively expensive. Any suggestions out there?
    Yes, but probably less expensive than after a Euro re-seller takes their cut. I'd suggest an email to the maker if you're interested; I'm considering it, and I got a very positive response from him.

User Info Menu

Jack -- you did a demo of the "Skoter" amp, too, earlier this year; I realize that is the SeQuel design, but any thoughts of that compared to the Sol/Luna?

BTW, Raezer's Edge will make "head" versions of their tube amps, too -- to use with their Stealth cabs, of course!

I love them both. The sol is a bit more like a black face bassman head. More aggressive and louder. The sequel is a bit to low in wattage for my gigs but if I were doing a lot of duo gigs or trio gigs with drummer on brushes it'd probably be my favorite amp!

User Info Menu

I'm really interested in the Luna - I'd be pairing it with a JBL D130 but I'm a bit nervous that I'll accidentally fry the speaker with 200 watts of power on tap...
    Sounds like the amp is voiced perfectly for what I play.

I've used it on a bunch of gigs with a single 12" celestion alnico 90 with no issue. Of course I don't crank it in that situation.

User Info Menu

Jack--would you mind posting a couple clips (or directing me towards one), where I can hear both the Benson sounds and the Metheny sounds?

Thanks!

Here's a more bensonesque clip

and here's a more methenyesque clip. I was using a sol amp in stereo but the sol was turned way down so you're hearing mostly the luna.

User Info Menu

Awesome! thanks for that. Very helpful.

How would you say it compares to the Skoter? I love the sound you got on your Kessel here:

Seems like a very versatile amp as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I've used it on a bunch of gigs with a single 12" celestion alnico 90 with no issue. Of course I don't crank it in that situation.
    Sounds great to me - that's great to know , thank Jack
    the other amp I was interested was the Quilter TB 202 but I feel like the Luna has the edge on it as far as a pure jazz tone goes.

The skoter is a bit sweeter sounding. I'm not sure if ultimately, a 10" combo would work for me at the volumes I play at but it's a very sweet little package. I wish he made a 40w version! I originally thought it was class A but I'm not sure now. It may be based on the Gibson amp. I'll ask.

also a j rockett blue note for some slight tubey grit and of course my trusty seventy seven exrubato.

User Info Menu

Excellent playing and tone! Really nice! Fat, yet clear. Reminds me a bit of Pat Martinos tone on El Hombre - which I love.

Thanks brother, as a former student of Pat's, that makes me happy!

User Info Menu

That's the kind of tone I like...you can hear every note, but theres some "edge" to it...and it sounds touch responsive too.

thanks guys, i love the RE amps. and thanks Mr. matz, the rockett blue note is an (almost) always on pedal for me

Thanks for the clips. I play a SS head from another manufacturer, and I feel like I can get a tube-like (non solid state) tone. That head is underpowered, and I am thinking the 200 watts of the Luna 200R would make up that power gap.

Do you think you could describe the Luna as tube-like, warm, round, etc.?