The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

As you may recall from my "hollow Body and Semi-Hollowbody Guitars - Ugh!!! I'm Stuck" thread, lately I've expressed the desire for a 17" hollowbody with a chunky neck. Since I've also been a longtime player of ES-335-style semi-hollows, I've also decided to once again include them in my search for a non-solidbody with a chunky neck - IF it is a decent guitar (sorry, Fireflys and Harley Bentons need not apply - I could never justify spending the $350-$450 a refret job costs, in order to install the hypoallergenic fret wire I need to have on my guitars, no thanks to my severe nickel allergy). Yamaha SA guitars have been a part of my search since Day 1. They are very well made, and many cases, criminally underrated guitars (I remember the Yamaha Superstrat one of my bandmates played back in 1990 - it was a great guitar, on a par with anything that Gibson, Fender, or Ibanez made at that time). The only problem - specs are hard to find for Yamaha SAs. I've done a fair amount of searching online, but with regards to SA necks, they seem to fall into two extremes:

1. The necks are quite thin (like the SA1100, and the SA2200).
    2. The necks are nice and chunky, and reminiscent of a 50s Gibson neck profile (like the relatively hard to find SA700, and the SA500 [which has the weird looking sound holes]).

I have a line on an SA800 from the early 80s, and I can't find any info at all about what their necks are like. I messaged the seller twice (the second time to ask for clarification), but the most information I'm able to get out of him, is that the neck is a bit thinner than the neck his ES-335 (which has a 50s neck profile), but not how much thinner it is. I'd hate to pester the guy for the third time, so I decided I ask here.

Does anybody have any experience with Yamaha SA800s, and as a result, know what their necks are like? Also, from what I've read online, some early to mid 1980s SAs (for instance, the SA1000) have issues with the finish lifting off of the guitar (visually, it looks like cloudy spots on the guitar). I didn't notice any finish issues in the photos of the guitar I'm looking into, but I'd still like to know, if this would be a concern down the road. Is finish lifting a problem with SA800s?

Once again, thanks for any information you can provide,

Ellen - who is waaay too tired from participating in a ham radio contest, in the wee hours of the morning (it's 4:30am - my 4 hour nap did me no good - back to be for me!)
    Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 12-08-2019 at 06:50 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ellen, every SA I've played had / has what Gibson would call a "slim taper" neck on a 335. If that's not your cup of tea you may not want to take a chance with one that hopefully has a thicker neck. Maybe others here have a different experience with the model you are interested in.Also the finish is not lifting or peeling, it (AFAIK) was more cosmetic, and not limited to Yamaha. PRS had a long spell where it was a problem for them.

From what I read it was caused by either:

A. The wood not being properly seasoned / dried before the finish was appliedorB. Incorrect mixing of the finish / colors There are builders and luthiers here who have more than anecdotal info on the issue but since the SA's are still pretty respectable gits in many cases owners / users generally just live with it.

User Info Menu

Why my reply got truncated I do not know but...The other issue may have been in the mixing of the finish. There are builders / luthiers here who have more than anecdotal info on this.

User Info Menu

Hi Ellen. I have a Yamaha SA800 which I play regularly, and I used to have a SA700 'Super Axe' (now sold). I have also tried the SA2200 in a music shop. The neck dimensions were pretty much the same on all of them. The SA neck is a little wider than most ES335-type guitars. On mine, it is 43mm+ at the nut and 58mm at fret 22 (including the binding). It certainly feels wider than my other guitars, probably because the fretboard is flatter than normal. This makes it good for classical-style fingering. The profile is fairly thin, like any 335, but I find it comfortable for my thumb on the back because it has a wide flattish area.
    For comparison, my Heritage H535 (essentially an ES335) is 42mm at the nut, 56mm at fret 22, with a very curved radius on the fretboard (great for bending notes, but perhaps not what you want). The neck profile is deeper than normal; almost what you might call chunky, but still comfortable. I think that the Yamaha neck might suit you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A440
    Hi Ellen. I have a Yamaha SA800 which I play regularly, and I used to have a SA700 'Super Axe' (now sold). I have also tried the SA2200 in a music shop. The neck dimensions were pretty much the same on all of them. The SA neck is a little wider than most ES335-type guitars. On mine, it is 43mm+ at the nut and 58mm at fret 22 (including the binding). It certainly feels wider than my other guitars, probably because the fretboard is flatter than normal. This makes it good for classical-style fingering. The profile is fairly thin, like any 335, but I find it comfortable for my thumb on the back because it has a wide flattish area.
    For comparison, my Heritage H535 (essentially an ES335) is 42mm at the nut, 56mm at fret 22, with a very curved radius on the fretboard (great for bending notes, but perhaps not what you want). The neck profile is deeper than normal; almost what you might call chunky, but still comfortable. I think that the Yamaha neck might suit you.
    Sounds very intriguing. The lowest limit thckness-wise I put up with for a neck, was my Fender 60s Baja Telecaster. It was about 22mm thick at the first thread. Is the SA800 about that thick at the first fret? Neck width will help quite a bit, but only to a point - my PRS SESeven, 7-string had a wide neck, but I found it to be too thin for my taste. I want to avoid having that happen again.

Ellen

User Info Menu

Yes, the SA800 neck is about 22mm at the first fret. I have stoned the frets a little, so it's impossible to be absolutely accurate, even if I had a fancy measuring gauge (which I don't!).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A440
    Yes, the SA800 neck is about 22mm at the first fret. I have stoned the frets a little, so it's impossible to be absolutely accurate, even if I had a fancy measuring gauge (which I don't!).
    Hmmmm, 22mm I can probably live with. I'll sleep on it overnight. I just my end up buying the guitar tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl
    Hmmmm, 22mm I can probably live with. I'll sleep on it overnight. I just my end up buying the guitar tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
    So you know my 80's SA-2100 is .840" (~21.3mm) at the 5th fret where my 335 "slim taper" is .832" (~21.1mm) wood to wood, not counting fret height. If you've played a slim taper you'll know what the SA will play like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    So you know my 80's SA-2100 is .840" (~21.3mm) at the 5th fret where my 335 "slim taper" is .832" (~21.1mm) wood to wood, not counting fret height. If you've played a slim taper you'll know what the SA will play like.
    Thanks for the info Gary. I'm still debating getting the SA800, or a 17" hollowbody (the desire reared its ugly head up again this morning). Semis are great for ye olde John Schofield tones, but by the same token, I do like the playing feel of 17" hollowbodies (it comes from playing Gretsch Country Clubs for several years). My main problem - while I have a line on a 17" hollowbody with a thicker neck, it only has 1 pickup, and I'm not a fan of 1 pickup guitars. I prefer my guitars to have 2 pickups, because of a desire to use my guitars for multiple genres of music. So, I've shied away from neck pickup only, and bridge pickup only guitars in the past (when I've had them, they've only lasted in my ownership for a few months).

I'd like to put the whole hollow and semi-hollow issue to bed today if possible. I'm on vacation, due to a desire to be in my apartment, when they replace the refrigerator and stove (my refrigerator started dying a week plus ago and due its age, it was decided to just replace it and the stove [which is also getting up in age]). So, I may do some serious online surfing of guitars, before I make a choice.

Ellen

User Info Menu

Ellen, I'm pretty sure you'll LOVE the Epiphone Johnny A. model.

Yours very truly,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    Ellen, I'm pretty sure you'll LOVE the Epiphone Johnny A. model.

Yours very truly,
    I didn't consider that one. They are cool. I'm just not sure if I want a small semi-hollow. I'll have to think about it.