Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

This is awesome, but do I really need one?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No thanks. For several reasons. Some preference, some health. I'm not a fan of earbuds either (I use them occasionally, only when necessary, but I prefer "open-air" listening)

User Info Menu

I wouldn’t need them right now, but I could see them being useful on a tour bus or at home if you have young kids or spouse who would be woken up / annoyed by guitar sounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Kind of neat, but not for me. After beating my ears up with many hours of listening to static while wearing headphones during ham radio contests for most of the 90s (I have had a ham radio license [my callsign is AF9J] even longer than I've been playing guitar [I've had a ham radio license since Feb. 1978, when I was 14 years old - I started playing guitar in earnest in Feb. 1979 at age 15]), which definitely contributed more to what hearing loss I've had, than all of my guitar related activities (even gigging oftentimes at high volume) over the years, I prefer to only sparingly wear headphones (mainly while using some of dinky, handheld, very low power, battery powered, portable ham radios, that lack speakers). Luckily, though I have had some hearing loss, my hearing is still within the normal range (verified by a work required annual hearing test a few months ago). I'd prefer to keep it that way - so much so, that since hearing loss is not only due to volume, but exposure time, I'm not wearing headphones while participating in a ham radio contest that is taking place this weekend (the ARRL 160 Meter [ham radio band] Contest), due to the fact that I'm putting some serious participation time into it.

I'm burned out from a lack of sleep (I was on the radio, contesting into the wee hours of the morning), but I'd better get going with doing some guitar practice, so I'm at least semi-ready to do my weekly 12-string guitar, church gig at 5 o-clock mass today.

Ellen
    Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 12-07-2019 at 05:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Getting a little bored with sound of the Katana. No interest in Ver. 2 nor in a headphone model.

User Info Menu

Even in my teen years I never practiced with an amp. I think getting as much of your sound with as little gear possible yields the best results.

And this plays right I to you can be a Rock Star in your own little world B.S. I can't stand as a professional musician.

User Info Menu

I don't even like headphones when recording in a studio.

User Info Menu

The stereophonic trickery of "amp in the room" is a flawed premise; one feels the air pressure of an amp in the room as much as one hears it. You can't model that air pressure in a set of cans. It is also a reason why listening to hifi through the best electrostatic headphones is never satisfying; you don't feel the air pressure. But we do it as a concession to others cohabiting in our space.

Just plug a pair of headphones into any of your practice tabletop amps and be done with it. This is gimmicky and I hate $399 gimmicks.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 12-08-2019 at 06:27 AM.

User Info Menu

I’m not a fan of headphone practicing, but Rockman Guitar Ace is a great headphone amp. It’s not often I’m using it, maybe just a few times a year. There aren’t any plans to gig with it yet, but it’s great just for practicing without being heard outside my headphones.

User Info Menu

I don’t care about the amp in a room bit but wireless practice headphones fit my needs perfectly. When will they be released in Europe?

Will it be possible to record the signal?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    I don’t care about the amp in a room bit but wireless practice headphones fit my needs perfectly. When will they be released in Europe?

Will it be possible to record the signal?
    Andertons UK already have them for sale since they made the promotional video. Brexit hasn't happened yet, so yeah, the UK is still part of the EU.

PS I have been using the VOX Amphone Clean for years now. That itsy bitsy tangle of wire does not get in my way so essentially, it is wireless to me.