The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Hello

Would like your precious help
    I want to buy a combo to study and to play a little bit at low volumes. I want to connect phones and aux in (must have these two) to study at night, but on weekends mainly I would like to play at low volumes, clean sounds and/or a little breakup (Julian Lage fanboy here ).
    I have an old tube amp if I want to play louder, so this new one doesn't need to have a lot of power.
    Was looking at a Fender Champion 20, what do you guys think? Any feedback or others options?
    Could be a 5w tube amp, but can't find one with phones and aux in, don't think that exists.

Thank you!
    Last edited by guga7; 12-05-2019 at 06:37 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Laney L5 Studio is a 5W amp with both phones and aux connections. It includes a dummy load for reduced power or silent playing. I have the head version and like it a lot. It is quite pricey, but quality kit!

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thank you, but I was looking for a combo, not head+cabinet.

User Info Menu

Blackstar ID:Core BEAM is a good practice amp.

User Info Menu

Bugera V5 Infinium

Great for that price, 5W unbelievable tube sound. Optionally you can go lower with the built in attenuator to 1W and 0.1 W but I settled to use it without the attenuator.

Bugera V5 Infinium – Thomann United States

Google Image Result for https://www.thomann.de/pics/bdb/341359/8833568_800.jpg

User Info Menu

There are many that would fill your needs, since you aren't especially looking for tone or volume. ANY modeler would, even the little Roland Microcube, which has an Aux in and phones. You should probably just get the one that LOOKS the best to you, lol. If you like the look of Fenders, just get the Fender and be done with it. I bought the Roland because I can take it out on the patio and on vacation (it can run on batteries)

Here's our own mr. beaumont with a tele and a microcube:

User Info Menu

I don't think you'll get a better small amp than the Yamaha THR 10C. Lots of tone variation as well as clean to heavy distortion. I use mine in teaching - one for me, one for the student - from smokey jazz tones to Lage-style breakup, to rock.

User Info Menu

Yes it does.

User Info Menu

Just a thought:

I believe the Boss Katana 50 has the 'ins & outs' you require.

It is relatively cheap and possesses the virtues of having a 12" speaker (should you ever want to use it)
    and now, with the Mark II model, two acoustic voicings. It offers a lot of other potential, also.

I don't have one and have not tried one but that acoustic potential might be nice for an archtop if you have one.

If the KGB wasn't watching me I'd try to get out & try one just for laughs.

Best of luck to you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Bugera V5 Infinium

Great for that price, 5W unbelievable tube sound. Optionally you can go lower with the built in attenuator to 1W and 0.1 W but I settled to use it without the attenuator.

Doesn't have aux in

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    There are many that would fill your needs, since you aren't especially looking for tone or volume. ANY modeler would, even the little Roland Microcube, which has an Aux in and phones. You should probably just get the one that LOOKS the best to you, lol. If you like the look of Fenders, just get the Fender and be done with it. I bought the Roland because I can take it out on the patio and on vacation (it can run on batteries)
    I'll check it

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I don't think you'll get a better small amp than the Yamaha THR 10C. Lots of tone variation as well as clean to heavy distortion. I use mine in teaching - one for me, one for the student - from smokey jazz tones to Lage-style breakup, to rock.
    Nice tip!

Yes it does.
    Was talking about the bugera, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    Just a thought:

I believe the Boss Katana 50 has the 'ins & outs' you require.

It is relatively cheap and possesses the virtues of having a 12" speaker (should you ever want to use it)
    and now, with the Mark II model, two acoustic voicings. It offers a lot of other potential, also.

I don't have one and have not tried one but that acoustic potential might be nice for an archtop if you have one.

If the KGB wasn't watching me I'd try to get out & try one just for laughs.

Best of luck to you!
    Too big for my needs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    Blackstar ID:Core BEAM is a good practice amp.
    The ID:Core BEAM is also a good alternative if you can play more instruments than just guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guga7
    I'll check it

I've added a video of our mr. beaumont playing a tele into the microbe, above.

User Info Menu

I own both the Yamaha THR10 (older version, Access to this page has been denied.) and the Boss Katana 50 (older version, Access to this page has been denied.), there are new versions of both amps out this year which are presumably even better than the older ones.

As 'Rob MacKillop' and 'Rabbit' mentioned above these are both fine amps and will do what you need.

I used to have a Roland MicroCube but let that go as I preferred the sound and form factor of the Yamaha THR10. I also used to have a Fender Champ 600 and a Gretsch G5222 (same amp, different cabs), they both sounded great for such small tube amps (5w), unfortunately they had neither aux in, nor headphone out (plus they were lacking reverb and I need that in a small portable practice amp) so I ended up letting them go.

Since you already have a larger tube amp my vote would be for the Yamaha THR10 for the smaller form factor and portability (can run off batteries) - would be best to try both out at a store if you can, ultimately it comes down to personal preference

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by v281
    I also used to have a Fender Champ 600 and a Gretsch G5222 (same amp, different cabs), they both sounded great for such small tube amps (5w), unfortunately they had neither aux in, nor headphone out (plus they were lacking reverb and I need that in a small portable practice amp) so I ended up letting them go.
    I would love to have one of those but I have no use for them

User Info Menu

Aux In, Phones out, battery or mains.

User Info Menu

My vote also goes to the Yamaha THR range. One of them maybe fit your needs.
    The new wireless are very desirable but more expensively.

User Info Menu

Perhaps you should consider a good quality mix through headphones. I recommend the iRig Mix: IK Multimedia - iRig Mix. You can run you phone and aux into it and get quality amp samples with the Amplitube app. I practice in the early morning a lot, and I can run my guitar, iPhone, and iPad Pro through the iRig mix to play along with iReal Pro tracks, get a good mix with a safe volume and with a quality guitar tone.

User Info Menu

NU:X Mighty Lite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    Perhaps you should consider a good quality mix through headphones. I recommend the iRig Mix: IK Multimedia - iRig Mix. You can run you phone and aux into it and get quality amp samples with the Amplitube app. I practice in the early morning a lot, and I can run my guitar, iPhone, and iPad Pro through the iRig mix to play along with iReal Pro tracks, get a good mix with a safe volume and with a quality guitar tone.
    But I would like to use the combo without phones on weekends, so I don't need to turn on the big-tube-beast

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    NU:X Mighty Lite.
    3W with 3" speaker...does that sound good? don't know that amp, need to check..

User Info Menu

I saw that I got mentioned here, so I thought I'd chime in.

I love my little microcube, I take it everywhere, but for home practice I am upgrading to a THR soon. I got to mess around with one that belonged to a student, and I was blown away by how good it sounded playing along with a backing track that was played through it. Overall, the sound was much more hi-fi.

I think for running out and jamming at the park or something, it's tough to beat the microcube. The 6 AA batteries last a really long time, it's small, light, rugged. The sound is pretty good, though--and this probably seems weird as few amps work this way--it sounds much better in the recordings I make with it through my phone than it does to me in person while I'm doing it.

I think for practicing, recording ideas, jamming with tracks the options on the THR are better. I'll report back once I get it (going to be a Christmas present) but my guess is the THR will reside in my living room and I won't be getting rid of the microcube either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Bugera V5 Infinium

this will fit your needs, but they almost all develop tube rattle with the factory tubes. I had one and returned it because Guitar Center would replace the tubes or give me a discount to buy upgrades, they would only replace only the whole amp. I can confirm the attenuators works, but it does shape the tone. So if you find a tone you like at 5W, don’t expect it to sound the same, only at a lower volume if you switch to a lower wattage setting.

User Info Menu

I know you want a combo, but depending on your budget and if you have pedals on hand that you use, a Quilter Microblock or Interblock might fit the bill. You even could use the speaker in your existing combo pretty simply.

I ended up going this route after giving up on the Bugera V5 and a 1954 Magnatone Varsity (sounded great, but lous with single cool pickups and had no effects loop). I can tell you that the tone you get at low volumes is the same tone you get at high volumes (except for any speaker breakup inherent in the speaker design).
    Last edited by zcostilla; 12-06-2019 at 07:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guga7
    Hello

Would like your precious help
    I want to buy a combo to study and to play a little bit at low volumes. I want to connect phones and aux in (must have these two) to study at night, but on weekends mainly I would like to play at low volumes, clean sounds and/or a little breakup (Julian Lage fanboy here ).
    I have an old tube amp if I want to play louder, so this new one doesn't need to have a lot of power.
    Was looking at a Fender Champion 20, what do you guys think? Any feedback or others options?
    Could be a 5w tube amp, but can't find one with phones and aux in, don't think that exists.

Thank you!
    I have a Fender Champion 20. I think it's a great amp, very useful. I also have a Roland MicroCube GX. The older version of the MicroCube (the one without the "GX" suffix) has a headphone output, but does not have an aux input; the GX version has both. The Fender can go much, much louder than the Roland (loud enough to be used wit bands), is cheaper, and IMO sounds a lot better. But the Roland is smaller/lighter and can run on batteries and has a built-in tuner. Either would do the trick for the purposes you're describing.

John

User Info Menu

$99.00 5 watt tube Monoprice amp in my studio. I changed the loud Chinese tubes to a G.G. 12ay7 ($20) and a 6v6 ($20)... and the speaker to a Weber ($70) . So now it' has a warm Fenderish tweed tone.

User Info Menu

i just got a used vox pathfinder, that sounds pretty good for jazz at low volume.... it was cheap as hell, and sounds really good