The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Hello

I play a custom tele Mahogany body, Rosewood top (hollowbody, no f-holes) with two Seymour Duncan sh1N . Amp is a deluxe Reverb Clone. I am very satisfied with the tone. The first string however could be a little warmer, less thin. (Ar higher volumes, sound is perfect though)
    I use 011 daddario pure nickel RW.
    Could some pedal help me out or should I put 012? (Thomastik?)
    Any suggestions are welcome.

Greetings,

Stefaan

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

First thing to try would be to replace your current first string with a .012.

Quote Originally Posted by gitaarklas
    Hello

I play a custom tele Mahogany body, Rosewood top (hollowbody, no f-holes) with two Seymour Duncan sh1N . Amp is a deluxe Reverb Clone. I am very satisfied with the tone. The first string however could be a little warmer, less thin. (Ar higher volumes, sound is perfect though)
    I use 011 daddario pure nickel RW.
    Could some pedal help me out or should I put 012? (Thomastik?)
    Any suggestions are welcome.

Greetings,

Stefaan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    First thing to try would be to replace your current first string with a .012.
    I agree. I also play a custom Tele with a Mahogany body and maple top, hollow with an offset soundhole. I think the perfect string set for me is a set of 11s with the .015 and .011 srings replaced with .016 and .012. This takes out that thin sounding tone of the high strings and gives a nice string feel overall.
    Bill

User Info Menu

On almost every set of strings I've used I think the high E and B can benefit from being bumped up a gauge to better balance things. This would definitely be my first line of attack. If they made a "Jeff Matz" string set, it'd be heavy top lighter bottom.

User Info Menu

sounds like a nice guitar..try raising the pole piece under the string a tad...can even raise the whole pup a bit on that end if you like experimenting

could also put some graphite in strings nut and saddle slot

cheers

User Info Menu

Not sure if you know, but the "bright" capacitor is present on the Fender Deluxe Reverb even though it does not have the switch for it like the bigger Fenders. In the Fender Deluxe Reverb the circuit has the cap hard wired to be "on" at the volume potentiometer, but in both the big amps that have the switch and those that don't, the circuit itself is designed so that its effect rolls off the brightness as the amp's volume control approaches the half way point of rotation and beyond that it has no effect.

If your clone is the same as the Fender (and I think it may be the same because you note that at higher volume the sound is perfect), your bright circuit is always "switched on", but you can set the amp volume control up around "6-7" so the bright effect is gone, then set your playing level from your guitar... might be all you need to do?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Not sure if you know, but the "bright" capacitor is present on the Fender Deluxe Reverb even though it does not have the switch for it like the bigger Fenders. In the Fender Deluxe Reverb the circuit has the cap hard wired to be "on" at the volume potentiometer, but in both the big amps that have the switch and those that don't, the circuit itself is designed so that its effect rolls off the brightness as the amp's volume control approaches the half way point of rotation and beyond that it has no effect.
    Excellent points. But note that on an Blackface Deluxe Reverb the bright cap is only present in the “Vibrato” channel. There’s no bright switch in the Normal channel.
    http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/s...a763_schem.gif

User Info Menu

I use Elixir's nanoweb strings. To my ears, they are all good but in time, the 1st string will get tinny. In a really bad way. Changing strings cures this problem for a few months... I wonder maybe that could be OPs real problem also. But the idea of switching it for a thicker one hasn't occurred to me yet. Cool, thx.

User Info Menu

you guys always amaze me with your when in doubt, go heavier string thing!! haha...jazz macho..a holdover from prehistoric days when a jazzer needed heavy strings and high action to cut thru the big band..without an amp...i.e. freddie green era...once they invented the electric pickup, the game changed!
    and how many are playing in big bands!!?

be like if you you had bad traction due to bald tires.. and said well, just put some concrete blocks in the trunk!! haha

todays teles come standard with 9 or 10's...some of the greatest tele players of all time used 08's!!!...if there's a problem take care of it...don't just weigh it down!...you are only gonna make more trouble for yourself if you ever want/need to go lighter!

not the ops deal, but- almost everyday we have a post about someone with finger pain...but holding on to the myth that jazz means heavy strings... but, the one and only solution is...lighter strings!!!..let the pickup and amp work for you...& feel better!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    If they made a "Jeff Matz" string set, it'd be heavy top lighter bottom.
    For me, there is something Eternal & Profound in this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    you guys always amaze me with your when in doubt, go heavier string thing!! haha...jazz macho..a holdover from prehistoric days when a jazzer needed heavy strings and high action to cut thru the big band..without an amp...i.e. freddie green era...once they invented the electric pickup, the game changed!

be like if you you had bad traction due to bald tires.. and said well, just put some concrete blocks in the trunk!! haha

todays teles come standard with 9 or 10's...some of the greatest tele players of all time used 08's!!!...if there's a problem take care of it...don't just weigh it down!...you are only gonna make more trouble for yourself if you ever want/need to go lighter!

not the ops deal, but- almost everyday we have a post about someone with finger pain...but holding on to the myth that jazz means heavy strings... but, the one and only solution is...lighter strings!!!..let the pickup and amp work for you...& feel better!

cheers
    I hate anything thinner than .012 (for 24.75” necks, on 25.5” I can get around with .011). Thinner strings: can’t do sh!t with those! Nothing to do with sound, but feel. They feel too thin, I can’t play fast on them, can’t use my heavy picks and I break them all the time...... maybe because I started out as a classical guitarist on thick nylon strings? I use too much force? I think my touch is light enough... I dunno.... but .012 for me! And trust me, I am no Schwarzenegger....

User Info Menu

The bright mod had already been done by the amp tech. Much better since!
    But I Will try the 012 strings for the final touch.

Stefaan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitaarklas
    The bright mod had already been done by the amp tech. Much better since!
    But I Will try the 012 strings for the final touch.

Stefaan
    Don’t change the whole set, just the high E.

User Info Menu

cheers
    That is not the reason I play heavy string sets. I started out performing as an acoustic fingerstyle guitarist. I still play fingerstyle and I want my guitars to “feel” the same while I play. Acoustic .012s are a medium light set for acoustic players. I feel the heavier strings on an electric solid body or hollow gives me the string tension I need for fingerstyle technique as well as a big step up in tone. Of course if you are bending strings a lot the heavier tension can be a problem, but my playing works fine on heavy strings. BTW I’m 67 and I’ve been playing for more than 50 years. Just about every other part of my body is fading, but my hands are fine.
    Bill

User Info Menu

you guys always amaze me with your when in doubt, go heavier string thing!!
    Heavier strings on my 575 allow me to have a LOWER action. It's the easiest playing guitar I own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    For me, there is something Eternal & Profound in this.
    Well, it was my nickname in high school.

User Info Menu

sorry if i came off snarky...but if you like heavy strings that's fine...i was mainly advising against using it as a cure all...heavy strings may cover up the problems, but not cure them...with the right setup, a tele can sound great with 08's...maybe not the sound you prefer...but it can still be a good quality non problematic sound..i.e. no buzzing, dead notes, sitaring effects etc etc

if a guitar is having problems with 11's...fix the problem..don't just go to 12's

hope that's clearer

cheers

User Info Menu

sorry if i came off snarky...but if you like heavy strings that's fine...

if a guitar is having problems with 11's...fix the problem..don't just go to 12's

hope that's clearer

cheers
    Didn't take it as "snarky"...thought it was well put.

And here's another reason we should consider although not take as absolute truth...TORQUE.

While I put 11's on my L-4 strings 3-6 and swap out the B and E for .17 .13 that is a SET NECK.

I won't do that on my strat which is a BOLT ON neck.

User Info Menu

Didn't take it as snarky at all! I'm just saying my use of heavy strings is the opposite of any machismo thing...it actually allows my guitar to play easier and sound fatter with an even lighter touch.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 12-05-2019 at 09:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Didn't take it as snarky at all! I'm just saying my use of heavy strings is the opposite of any machismo thing...it actually allows my guitar to play easier and sound fatter with an even lighter touch.

ok cool..cheers guys..but there's no reason why lighter strings can't ring as true..with proper setup...slap some dunlop billy gibbons 07's on that guitar and learn all about a lighter touch!! haha..true!

let the amp pump

as i writ ^ , most modern teles come with 9's or 10's standard..nickel plated steel (bright) rounds! they are set up to handle that these days

cheers