The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    What can I say? I'm built for comfort, not for speed.

John

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Were all the 350t's short scale?
    the original 50's 350T's were 23.5 scale...but gibby did a reissue in 1977..with a 25.5 scale!!! (& with humbuckers. not original p-90's)

cheers

User Info Menu

yeah I was thinking the one in the pic above might be one of the long scale 70s models but by '77 when it was introduced most Gibson models had a volute and the one in the pic doesn't. I thought I knew most of the guitars he played, but never seen him w/a thinline.
    I think his dad gave him the blonde full depth 350 he's often pictured with and Jimmy started playing a 175 [both shown in neatomics pic above] I believe he had a sunburst 350 as well.
    Jimmy was playing a custom guitar by a European builder at the end though I can't remember the maker.
    It was one of the ones Doug wound up with, though I've never seen him playing it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the original 50's 350T's were 23.5 scale...but gibby did a reissue in 1977..with a 25.5 scale!!! (& with humbuckers. not original p-90's)

cheers
    The 1977 ES-350T reissue has a 5-piece neck, a volute, is a Thinline and has the split-parallellogram inlays. I think it’s the most likely candidate for the guitar Doug is holding in the picture!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    The 1977 ES-350T reissue has a 5-piece neck, a volute, is a Thinline and has the split-parallellogram inlays. I think it’s the most likely candidate for the guitar Doug is holding in the picture!
    Jay, don't believe the one in the pic has a volute....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Jimmy was playing a custom guitar by a European builder at the end though I can't remember the maker.
    It was one of the ones Doug wound up with, though I've never seen him playing it.

wm- that's a hofner az..he got it thru his association with attila zoller

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Walt Frazier - - no punk / hot-dog attitude - -nothing but talent and cool !!

User Info Menu

Turned 40 this year...
    ****** young'uns.

User Info Menu

Were all the 350t's short scale?

I wonder if there could be a bit of an optical illusion going on? Doug was definitely pictured with this guitar a few times.

Attachment 66961
    I believe that is a Gibson L7 rather than an ES 350. I think his brother mentioned that in a blog once. It had several different pickups over the years and I think was the longest held guitar that he had. A fine sounding instrument although he seemed to sound equally good with whatever instrument he was playing at any given time. Interestingly, I've been listening to his album "You Go To My Head" and there are moments where I would swear his guitar sounds almost exactly like Ed Bickert's Telecaster on "Out Of The Past."

User Info Menu

Yeah I lost the CT's before high school, you couldn't get chicks looking like a nerd back then.
    Still can't. Ask me how I know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I believe that is a Gibson L7 rather than an ES 350. I think his brother mentioned that in a blog once. It had several different pickups over the years and I think was the longest held guitar that he had. A fine sounding instrument although he seemed to sound equally good with whatever instrument he was playing at any given time. Interestingly, I've been listening to his album "You Go To My Head" and there are moments where I would swear his guitar sounds almost exactly like Ed Bickert's Telecaster on "Out Of The Past."
    I think you're right, one of them was a 350, the other an L7, probably the blonde one, heard about the multiple pu's before as well.
    No matter, you're right, the greats sound so on just about anything they played.

User Info Menu

Jay, don't believe the one in the pic has a volute....
    I *think* I see a round edge of the black backside of the headstock and not a stinger, so I concluded it must be a volute. But it’s difficult to see, I could be wrong of course....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I *think* I see a round edge of the black backside of the headstock and not a stinger, so I concluded it must be a volute. But it’s difficult to see, I could be wrong of course....
    I *think* the 70's 350T's in natural were *not* black on the back of the headstock. Only the original short scale versions.

*Update: found this example of the natural reissue:

Vintage 1978 Gibson ES-350T Electric Guitar Natural Finish | Reverb
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 12-05-2019 at 11:01 AM.