The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

I am fortunate to be able to own a great, full-sized, carved-body archtop guitar with a floating pickup, and a couple of full-sized, (one carved, one laminate) archtop CES guitars. I enjoy all of them. They scratch different itches, as it were.

When I want a full, jazzy, wood and strings tone for solo work or when playing in small combo settings, I go for the archtop with floater. If the music is going to be more brisk, more volume, more instruments, I grab one of the CES guitars.

I suppose that if I were to sell off everything and choose to play with a single guitar, it would be a Gibson L-5CES. It will cover a _lot_ of territory.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

...Even in LA. I’ve played Jimmy Bruno’s 7 string Benedetto at Norm’s and remember being amazed (before noticing that the tailpiece said Jimmy Bruno Lol) but I can’t remember exactly how it sounded (and it was a bit different than a Manhattan...

Ironically it was Jimmy Bruno that introduced me to Bob's instruments when I took some lessons from him in Philly in the the mid-90's. I did get a chance to play one of his 7 string Benedetto's. It was like a bolt of lightning hit me and I knew I had to have one of Bob's guitars. As I recall he had two of them.

Good luck on your quest!

Attached Images Attached Images First world prob: Benedetto Manhattan Or L5-g-m-dv-5-19-jpg 

Hi Guys (and gal? lol), coming back for a quick follow up question if anyone might be able to help/point me in the right direction. While i'm not necessarily in a rush, there are hardly any old L5 CESs available online these days it seems.

Does anyone have a 64 (or earlier) L5 CES in moderate+ condition that they're willing/looking to sell? And or does anyone have anyone in mind who might?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ReedAmbedastam
    ...L5 (Update 12/3: *im reffering to the CES*...) ...I have another opportunity at a 63' L5. ...
    The L-5CES guitars from this timeframe typically have:
    -Florentine (pointy) cutaways;
    -small necks @1 9/16" nut width;
    -laminated backs.
    Is the guitar that you have an opportunity to get one of these or something different?
    Last edited by Hammertone; 12-19-2019 at 11:12 AM.

User Info Menu

I’m biased, as I have a ‘97 Wesmo that I love, but a local shop had a Fratello and a ‘64 CES at the same time, (rare for these parts) and I had a chance to play both for a few minutes a month ago. I agree that the Fratello was immaculately constructed, played well and reminded me very much of my Sadowsky Jim Hall, with more volume, acoustic overtones and more rapid note decay, but the L5, even with round wounds, just had that right mix of richness to my ears, like hitting the “loudness” button.

If it hadn’t had an eyelet screw twisted into the neck to clip in some kind of dog leash guitar strap and subsequent unfortunate wear over the upper bout (hillbilly owner, I guess) I might have been thinking about how to scrounge up the scratch, but luckily, I have my limits when it comes to mojo tolerance and it was sold. Short of a Bravo, that’s the only high end Benedetto I’ve played and it confirmed what I have heard in recordings. Nice stuff, but I’m a Gibson guy.

User Info Menu

Hi Guys (and gal? lol), coming back for a quick follow up question if anyone might be able to help/point me in the right direction. While i'm not necessarily in a rush, there are hardly any old L5 CESs available online these days it seems.

Does anyone have a 64 (or earlier) L5 CES in moderate+ condition that they're willing/looking to sell? And or does anyone have anyone in mind who might?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!
    I actually think Gibson L5's from the 1990s and after are probably better guitars. I would never be looking for a 60's one based on what I have played from Gibson in in the most recent years. I think think the QC was much better. I have a Hutch 2005 Super 400ces that was set up perfect as good as they get and I have played many guitars from many makers.

Hammertone, the L5CES im considering is a 63 with a venetian as you say but I believe it to have a wider nut width

Yebdox, much appreciated thoughts and feedback. Pretty sure I was there at the time and played that same L5 if it was the 64' cherry burst at emerald city and thought it sounded great too (and that the eyelet thing was hillbilly/janky too) lol!

Hey Deacon, thanks for that. I guess I havent given the new ones enough thought because i always lean vintage mainly being a solid body player who personally feels gibsons solid bodies dont come near their 50's and early 60's stuff (yes, even the high dollar stuff ive played). I'll have to play some newer archtops/CES's! Thanks.

User Info Menu

If it is a 63' it will have a 1 11/16" , as the 1 9/16 nut comes along in 1965 and continues to 1969.
    There are some early 1965s that still had a 1 11/16" nut, I've seen a few ES175s like that.
    Where do you even find a 63' L5CES? And, all of the ones I've seen are 15-18k.
    PD

User Info Menu

Reed (OP),
    After reviewing your posts including the question of installing a built-in pickup into a (acoustic) S-400, I was wondering-what are you seeking? How are you going to use the instrument? Are you gigging with it, or playing at home with friends?

It seems you are focused on Vintage L-5 CES guitars due to your solidbody experience with Gibson products. I have to agree with the Deacon, Gibson produced some outstanding archtops starting in the 90's. They may not have the vintage vibe however they can be lifetime voice guitars.

As a professional player, I stopped collecting many years ago and have 4 guitars that cover what I do to generate income-the Cremona, a 53 Epi Triumph Regent with no pickup, a Dupont MC 30-14 fret and a Eastman John Pisano 880.

Once again, wishing you the best on your quest.
    Attached Images Attached Images First world prob: Benedetto Manhattan Or L5-pvm-gig-jpg First world prob: Benedetto Manhattan Or L5-epiatsprings-jpg First world prob: Benedetto Manhattan Or L5-mc30-3-jpg 

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I am not a fan of pointed cutaways and those are pretty pricey guitars. I am quite sure I could find many guitars that would fit the bill at the price of those L5's. I suppose people buy them but I bet they don't sell too many and never fast. Otherwise they look nice but just cannot believe anyone is paying those prices.
    s

User Info Menu

"I actually think Gibson L5's from the 1990s and after are probably better guitars. I would never be looking for a 60's one based on what I have played from Gibson in in the most recent years."

while the newer L-5's and Super 400's are outstanding and built just as well as the earlier models, I've never played any modern L-5 or Super 400 that comes close in sound to most early/mid 60s models.
    aged woods, having been played in, the magic of PAF and early patent number pickups contribute to this.
    you can't base this on having owned or played a couple of each,
    I've owned multiple examples of all and played countless others, and I almost always come to this conclusion.
    again, no offense to modern Gibson owners, but it is what it is....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I am not a fan of pointed cutaways and those are pretty pricey guitars. I am quite sure I could find many guitars that would fit the bill at the price of those L5's. I suppose people buy them but I bet they don't sell too many and never fast. Otherwise they look nice but just cannot believe anyone is paying those prices.
    s
    sorry, that post wasn't for you Deacon, the OP asked .
    and yes, they ARE paying those prices, not that many around for sale at any given time.

User Info Menu

Yebdox, much appreciated thoughts and feedback. Pretty sure I was there at the time and played that same L5 if it was the 64' cherry burst at emerald city and thought it sounded great too (and that the eyelet thing was hillbilly/janky too) lol!
    Funny, that's definitely the guitar, but it was in Spokane at River City Guitars just 3 weeks ago. Sounded great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PDeville
    If it is a 63' it will have a 1 11/16" , as the 1 9/16 nut comes along in 1965 and continues to 1969.
    There are some early 1965s that still had a 1 11/16" nut, I've seen a few ES175s like that.
    Where do you even find a 63' L5CES? And, all of the ones I've seen are 15-18k.
    PD
    My 1963 L5C has a nut width of 1 5/8”. That falls right in the middle, 1/16 wider than the very narrow nut and 1/16 narrower than the standard nut. Perhaps CES models are different.
    Keith

User Info Menu

My 1966 L5CES has a 1-5/8" nut width.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop Tom
    My 1966 L5CES has a 1-5/8" nut width.
    ...and I find that size isn’t hard to get used to.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I have expressed this opinion before, but it might also be relevant to this conversation...An L5 from the early Norlin era is a less expensive option worth considering. My main gigging guitar is a ‘75 L5CESN. At that time, they had returned to the 1 11/16” nut and hadn’t added the volute yet. They had those nice big Kluson tuners and decent patent-stamped t-top humbuckers. They came standard with ebony saddles, which many players prefer over tune-o-matics. Guitars of this era were still made in the legendary Kalamazoo factory and I don’t believe the quality suffered significantly on the high-end hand-carved archtops during that period. The only downside, is the plain maple that was used on the backs and sides, but that probably has little or no effect on tone. I also don’t really like the look of witch-hat knobs, so I put reflector knobs on mine. I believe these guitars are a good buy in today’s market.
    Keith
    First world prob: Benedetto Manhattan Or L5-1cafb336-dc27-471a-9bd8-69ce3c0745e4-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    ...and I find that size isn’t hard to get used to.
    Keith
    I too find that size hard to get used to. I can handle it but not my favorite. Your are pretty spot on with the Norlin era stuff. I have a friend I did some work on his Super 400ces from 1976 and it has tremendous sound and great neck. It is a fantastic guitar and I believe he may have it for sale in the section. I made a new pickguard for the guitar but otherwise this is guitar is wonderful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I made a new pickguard for the guitar but otherwise this is guitar is wonderful.
    You're too humble. I'm sure your pickguard is wonderful too.

User Info Menu

The L5CES is just the right size