The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46
    Hi All,

Having built a reputation of being overly wordy and priming friends in favor of my leaning before I ask gear-dilemma related questions, I figured i'd keep short for a change.

*While i'm eager for all opinions, This post is directed to those who have experience with both guitars (the L5 and the Benedetto Manhattan [certainly those who've played the Cremona, Fratello, and any other carved solid wood Benedetto models would have good insights as well])*

I have been saving up for a real deal archtop for a while. I've lusted after the big, clear, non-tinny, buoyant and round sound of the L5 (Update 12/3: *im reffering to the CES*, a very different sound) and on the other hand, I have a great appreciation for the radically more acoustically sensitive (at least to me) and more acoustic sounding (when plugged in as well) solid wood Benedetto designs.

While the Savannah GA team make incredible guitars, I have a rare opportunity to acquire a friend's Benedetto Manhattan made by Bob Benedetto himself in the 90's. I have another opportunity at a 63' L5.

Both guitars are exactly the same price, so if we could assess pros and cons/express opinions with price being out of the debate, that would be great!

Please let me know what you guys think of the pros/cons of these two guitars, which you'd rather own, and why. I know there are many factors involved but thats fine. Go! And thank you all so kindly in advance!!

Does anyone have a pre 64' L5 CES for sale or know of someone who may want to sell theirs? If So, Please message me!

Best,
    Reed
    Last edited by ReedAmbedastam; 12-04-2019 at 02:06 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have played a friends Benedetto La Venezia on a few gigs, I have played at least a dozen other carved Benedettos and I own a couple of L-5's (and have played at least 20 others). Now each guitar is different and I have played some L-5's (well a couple to be exact) that were dogs, but on balance, I would suggest the L-5.

For jazz guitar, a good L-5 cannot be beat.

User Info Menu

I like Benedettos a lot. I'm not a Gibson fan. I would take the Manhattan without much hesitation. But they are very different guitars, and it's entirely a matter of taste, and which sound you prefer. Your taste is your own, and there is no need to apologize for it. Play both guitars, and make your choice solely on your preference, not on those of strangers on the internet.

Not sure when gibson made those 1 9/16th neck widths I think that was early 60s though. That would be a deal breaker for me. Are you able to play both?

User Info Menu

Very different guitars. Bob makes a fine guitar and a good 1963 L5 ranks up with finest.

Which one I liked better playing would be the one I choose. Normally boutique guitars don’t hold with Gibsons with some exceptions. A Benedetto made by Bob himself would be an exception. That said if the L5 felt better in my hands and played better that would be my choice.

I have played a fair number of Benedetto from earliest to later years. Tons of L5s for sure. It is what the ears hear so you got work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by rhoadsscholar
    Not sure when gibson made those 1 9/16th neck widths I think that was early 60s though. That would be a deal breaker for me. Are you able to play both?
    Great point, Rhoads. I’m not positive but will check - it’s surely a good point to keep in mind! Thankfully I’ve been comfortable on the early 60’s neck widths and dare I say it, even on the thinner profiles (although the 60/61 profiles aren’t ideal for me).

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Very different guitars. Bob makes a fine guitar and a good 1963 L5 ranks up with finest.

Which one I liked better playing would be the one I choose. Normally boutique guitars don’t hold with Gibsons with some exceptions. A Benedetto made by Bob himself would be an exception. That said if the L5 felt better in my hands and played better that would be my choice.

I have played a fair number of Benedetto from earliest to later years. Tons of L5s for sure. It is what the ears hear so you got work to do.
    Thanks! I absolutely agree - after all, you play how you feel and it’s whats most tonally and musically inspiring + what feels great that I’ll want to keep - thing is, it’s hard to get my hands on a Manhattan. Even in LA. I’ve played Jimmy Bruno’s 7 string Benedetto at Norm’s and remember being amazed (before noticing that the tailpiece said Jimmy Bruno Lol) but I can’t remember exactly how it sounded (and it was a bit different than a Manhattan).

How would you compare your experiences and tonal/feel perceptions with the Bob built benedettos you’ve played vs the vintage L5s? I have my understanding from what little experience I’ve had with my hands on benedettos (despite listening to tens and tens of clips), but I’m interested in what you all have to say.

User Info Menu

I own a 1989 Benedetto Fratello (built by Bob) and a 1963 L5C. Both have floating pickups. The Benedetto is a better guitar in my opinion. It has a perfectly balanced, warm acoustic tone. The L5 is brighter. The Benedetto has a 1 3/4” nut and 25” scale. The neck is not too deep front-to-back, so the extra nut width doesn’t make it feel big at all. The L5 has a 1 5/8” nut, which is still ok (only 1/16” narrower than a modern L5). The Benedetto is a different body size, slightly thinner, like a Johnny Smith. Amplified, both guitars perform equally well. The Benedetto has a tone control on the pickguard, which I prefer over the L5’s Johnny Smith setup. If I could only keep one, it would be the Benedetto.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I was the lucky owner of a Fratello that was built in Florida and I never owned an acoustic L5 but a '62 Johnny Smith and a '62 Super-400C.
    All three were very nice examples of the type but as far as fit and finish and playabilty was concerned the Fratello was the clear winner, followed closely by the Super-400C (which still had the somewhat beefier 3-piece neck). The plugged-in tone of the Fratello was balanced, warm and had not much "character" whereas the Super with a vintage DeArmond Rhythm Chief pickup (including the original control-box) was "IT" for the traditional/old school fat and warm but still clear Jazz Guitar Sound. Unfortunately the guitar was much too prone to feedback so I could not really use it on stage, it was sold again. The Fratello left in order to finance my new home (in parts....) and the Johnny Smith was sold to finance an electric Super-400 which is the better guitar for my needs.
    When you play your guitar only at home and mostly un-plugged then I'd say the Benedetto would be the "better" choice for it's balanced acoustic tone. When plugged in a vintage Gibson (with the "right" pickup) is hard to beat.
    As far as resale value is concerned it's a toss-up in my view. Benedetto has a following , especially with the older models and a vintage L5 in good/excellent condition will also hold it's value - the market is weak though so don't expect a fast return ...

User Info Menu

I have not personally owned at Bennedetto and no real desire to own one, but has mostly to do with my association with other guitar builders. I have played many though and the last Bennedetto that Bob made that I spent some time with was the one he made for Chinery Blue collection. It was an 18 inch guitar with very good sound. Nice round deeper bass that I like and played otherwise fine. Was it better than than the Chinery Blue Super 400? I do not remember and probably could not tell.

My guess is Bob's guitars would be consistent as long as they were not modifications for the guitar built specifically for the person. Gibson's could be very consistent within the same era they are made. Gibson L5's from the late 1930's thru probably the mid 50's acoustically are fine guitars. They compete well with even D'angelico's and Strombergs. The difference being at least with a Dangelico the player was getting a guitar made exact to what they wanted in terms of neck size, scale length and even the sound they were going after to a degree. Gibson could not really do that and so D'a s are held as the standard. From all I have read and studied John D'angelico was a very nice man and had a personality that went along with his guitars. His guitars were his work and creation so to me he simply had more skin in the game than maybe anyone else.

I would assume to some degree Bob Bennedetto equally manage the same reputation. That said Gibson still built the guitars largely by hand and things fairly consistent until after the early 1960's. Any given acoustic L5 from that period in my view has the potential to be some one of the finest archtop guitars for sound and playability. At some point a guitar from each of the best sources becomes what a player prefers so everyone is different. My 18 inch Hollenbeck plays and has more sound than almost any L5 if have ever touched. Acoustically I would hard pressed say I ever played and L5 that was better but we could be splitting hairs too. The 17 inch Hollenbeck that is not mine I have in the shop equally has the sound of any L5. That said it is not a L5 and unless lighting strikes they will never be worth what an L5 is.

Bennedetto's sit bit higher up on the food chain for possible resale for sure but that might not be till we are long dead and forgotten. At this stage in the archtop game a standard Gibson L5 acoustic that is a good guitar is the winner. It is the winner in terms of recognition and quality. Just to also mention I just bought a 2005 Gibson Super 400 CES Hutchinson signed. While this guitar is not a complete acoustic the quality control is second to none. Believe me I repair and see many guitars and this S400 is amazing. The fret work and finish are as good as I have seen on any guitar bar none. In fact I would put the QC level above most all boutique guitars I have played. My first impression playing the neck and going across the frets was WOW, they did a better fret job than I can do. I do think I can make a neck and frets play great on a guitar and Gibson humbled me completely.

So what about the Bennedetto. Unless the Benny was a clear winner from all the aspects I would say stick with a Gibson. I don't know the price of these guitar you are looking at but if they come close to a Dangelico then you might just bypass and get a D'a.

User Info Menu

So if acoustic tone is what your after, may I suggest a Buscarino 17" archtop. Of all of the acoustic Archtops I've ever played,that one stood out to my ears.
    They should be available used with different levels of appointments.

But only you can decide which builder or model speaks to you!

User Info Menu

Looks like Benedetto's inspiration came from early, acoustic Gibson L-5's. I think the same is true for Campellone as well.

"It's doubtful any of today’s archtop guitar makers would deny Gibson’s overwhelming contribution to the guitar’s design. Although I have never made a carbon copy of the original 16-inch L-5, I have enjoyed making variations on that model using both traditional and alternative woods, a variety of soundhole designs, inlays, bindings and of course colors. While the most obvious differences have been aesthetic, variations also included top and back graduations and bracing designs." Bob Benedetto, 2013

Benedetto - Gibson L-5

User Info Menu

Jazz guitarist Royce Campbell owns and plays both a Benedetto Manhattan and a Gibson L5CES. When I first met Royce, he was performing with the Benedetto. However, Royce has owned the L5 going back to when he purchased it to perform with Henry Mancini (which he did for almost 20 years). These days, Royce uses the L5 again.

I like the sound he gets from either guitar. They are both tremendous instruments. I probably prefer the L5 sound that Campbell gets.

User Info Menu

My bad...Campbell's Benedetto is a Fratello.

User Info Menu

Are we talking about acoustic guitars w/floating pickups or set in?
    Makes all the difference imo.
    Really depends on the sound/application you're going for.

User Info Menu

Well...it's sorta apples and oranges in that the Benny has a floating pickup and the L5CES has set in pickup(s)--one for the Wes Montgomery model and two for the CES.

_Both_ guitars are superb archtops, each in its own way.

User Info Menu

I didn't see a CES reference in the OPs post, he mentioned a 63 L5 but didn't say it was an electric model unless I missed something, hence my question.

User Info Menu

Here's Campbell playing Dindi on his L5:

Here's Campbell playing The Christmas Song on his Benedetto:

Both sound really good, but you can hear the differences, no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Here's Campbell playing Dindi on his L5:

Here's Campbell playing The Christmas Song on his Benedetto:

Both sound really good, but you can hear the differences, no?
    Very clearly. Benedetto has a more acoustic sound. A littler brighter and airier (thinner in a good way). L5 has a more full and electric sound (comparatively). One thing always noticeable about L5's is that they often sound like they are operating at the 10% of their volume potential. Like an exotic sports car cruising on small roads. You can feel L5's dynamic potential even when it's played relatively quietly. Like it's ready to make explosive sounds as soon as you dig in. I guess that's because of the very deep body construction.

User Info Menu

My assumption in all the post is the OP is looking an acoustic archtop not built in. I did throw in a reference to S400ces just to talk about QC at Gibson, but it clearly think the OP is looking for sound acoustically first. Yes a built in is apples and oranges.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Are we talking about acoustic guitars w/floating pickups or set in?
    Makes all the difference imo.
    Really depends on the sound/application you're going for.
    I agree. I've owned both and preferred the L5 w/mounted pickups because I played them amplified. The amplified sound on the L5 pleased me more than the Benedetto / floater. No other reason. Both are wonderful instruments.

Cincy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Very clearly. Benedetto has a more acoustic sound. A littler brighter and airier (thinner in a good way). L5 has a more full and electric sound (comparatively). One thing always noticeable about L5's is that they often sound like they are operating at the 10% of their volume potential. Like an exotic sports car cruising on small roads. You can feel L5's dynamic potential even when it's played relatively quietly. Like it's ready to make explosive sounds as soon as you dig in. I guess that's because of the very deep body construction.
    Royce’s L5 is a CES, which is why it sounds more “electric” compared to his Fratello, which has a floating pickup. My earlier comments were about my L5C with a floating pickup, compared to my Benedetto which also has a floating pickup. I agree that Royce’s L5CES sounds very different, but that is really a different instrument than either of those. I am a big fan of built in pickups too. I play an L5CES on most of my gigs because you can always count on that type of guitar sounding great, regardless of the type of room, the volume, etc. The built in pickups are also typically warmer, which I like. I thought the OP was asking about a Benedetto vs. an L5C.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Lots of excellent advice from the esteemed members of the forum. I own and gig on a regular basis with my 1990 Bob built Benedetto Cremona. It has a Bartolini floater. It is a very special, exquisite instrument. I owned a L-5 CES back in the 80's and never bonded with it. I've played some very fine L-5 and S400's over the years,none of them touched my heartstrings like my Cremona.

That being said, it is not a Swiss Army knife instrument. I gig in a duo format with a Trumpet/Flugel player doing ASB material and Jazz Standards. I plug the BC directly into a Evans JE200, no effects other than a smidge of Reverb. We play at low volume so I don't have any feedback issues.

In summary, I don't have much to contribute or advice to offer. I am totally biased. It all comes down to which instrument flips your switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images First world prob: Benedetto Manhattan Or L5-bspring-jpg 

Wow.. thank you. Im overwhelmed by all the care and really helpful responses. Really grateful for all of your thoughts!!

@floatingpickup @gitman @wintermoon @deacon mark (and everyone else!!) im really sorry for not being more clear.. this post is definitely a debate about an apple and an orange - This thread is Benedetto Manhattan w/ Floating pickup v. pre norlin L5 CES (probably a 63' i have in mind). I'm debating whether or not which of the two guitars i've lusted after for years makes the most sense for me to buy as far as function and priority at the current moment, funds aside as both are close in price.

I know its rather odd as these guitars are so different but i'd love to hear some pros and cons about each. I love the idea and the sounds of both lol but frankly, the benedetto sounds much less big and round - its got an even more traditional sound to me than the L5 CES - I love it (not having played the exact guitar model but having played a similar 7 str) but based on my limited experience and on soundclips, of course, the L5 CES carries much more weight when it comes to linear playing.

@deaconmark, wonderful insights.. thanks so much. I need to hip myself to Hollenbeck too, it sounds like. No, unfortunately the price range im looking at doesnt quite come close to a real D'A from the grail days. Really appreciate you discussing.

@greentone, you're spot on with the apples v oranges. they are.
    And thank you kindly for the great comparison clips!

@sierratango, Wow.. that cremona is to die for. I can only imagine how awesome that thing sounds.. beautiful instrument! Even biased insights are welcomed lol you're well experienced on a Bob built guitar and that is super helpful!
    Last edited by ReedAmbedastam; 12-04-2019 at 04:54 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm partial to built in pickup guitars, so the L-5 would be an absolute no brainer for me.