The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Anybody have experience with the newer models? A student of mine bought one (an older, simpler model used)and I got to play thru it yesterday...thought it was great. Probably a whole bunch of features I'd never use, but sounded way better than my old microcube.

The new ones have bluetooth and (at an upcharge) wireless too...anybody have one? Thinking it might be my Christmas present this year...even if its "to myself."

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Because of the new models THR10C is going on sale which you may like as well as the new ones. It's a great portable amp with modeling that rivals the fancier devices.

Access to this page has been denied.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    ... sounded way better than my old microcube.
    You don't say?!

I love the tone from my trusty microcube and have often said "yup" to myself when reading your praise of the battery-powered little gem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    You don't say?!

I love the tone from my trusty microcube and have often said "yup" to myself when reading your praise of the battery-powered little gem.
    Definitely better, and "bigger" sounding. The microcube is great for what it is, and it records incredibly well through my phone...the bass response and dirty tones are better thru the yamaha, at least from what I gathered in a half hour of messing around.

The coolest part though was using the bluetooth and playing an Aebersold off my phone. Sounded just great, and independent guitar/aux controls.

User Info Menu

I have the earlier THR10C and I like it OK. Nice build, good "hi-fi" sound.
    My gripe about it is the reverb goes from zero to too-much in the smallest twitch of the dial. Not cool.
    I've thought about selling it, but . . . it makes a really nice aux speaker too.

User Info Menu

haven't tried the newer ones but I bought the 100w head a couple years ago and didn't like it. I thought it was grainy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    I have the earlier THR10C and I like it OK. Nice build, good "hi-fi" sound.
    My gripe about it is the reverb goes from zero to too-much in the smallest twitch of the dial. Not cool.
    I've thought about selling it, but . . . it makes a really nice aux speaker too.
    Yes, I had to make jazz presets using the software which allows for very small increments on the reverb and other controls.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Yes, I had to make jazz presets using the software which allows for very small increments on the reverb and other controls.
    Maybe this is the key? I plugged a standard Telecaster into a couple of these tabletop amps over the weekend and was unable to find a compelling tone. I chose an in-stock Tele because that's what I play at home.

One was a $150 model and the other was $400-ish model 30 something.

User Info Menu

I also had the older (non-bluetooth) one, I guess the new ones are basically the same unit with some cosmetic changes and the bluetooth upgrade.

I sold it because I got a 57 Champ and didn't need two small amps. Yamaha sounds big for it's size and some of the overdriven tones are good unless you go for the extremes. They also make nice computer speakers since they are stereo and sound good. Much better than most computer speakers. The new ones are effectively also bluetooth speakers. Two in one deal.

There is a particular sound when they design small speaker systems to have a big bass response. The bass is there but has different qualities than the same amount of bass response coming from bigger cabinets. I hear that even when I play a Henriksen Blu. My Bose bluetooth speaker also has that sound. That's my only criticism but you can't have both portable size and rich bass.

User Info Menu

The local shops carried only the 5 or the high gain models so I took a chance and bought a used THR10C online. I set it on Deluxe, adjusted a few knobs and thought about music, not the amp, while I played. Which is to say... I'm a believer, this is an amazing bit of technology. I doubt I'll ever wander from the Deluxe option but I will look into editing a patch to bring down the reverb a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Anybody have experience with the newer models? A student of mine bought one (an older, simpler model used)and I got to play thru it yesterday...thought it was great. Probably a whole bunch of features I'd never use, but sounded way better than my old microcube.

The new ones have bluetooth and (at an upcharge) wireless too...anybody have one? Thinking it might be my Christmas present this year...even if its "to myself."
    Playing iRealPro tracks from my iPhone via Bluetooth on my Yamaha THR10 II is a dream. Best practice setup ever. Individual volume controls for Guitar and Audio. Great effects. It’s the perfect living room or practice studio amp and it tucks away easily. I love mine.

User Info Menu

FYI, editing the patch settings was simple and straight forward after installing the software from Yamaha. I've tamed the reverb and saved the edit to a preset on the amp.