The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 300

User Info Menu

FWIW, this thread and some of the replies in it is part of the reason I acquired my L7N this summer...lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My '44 L7 has a richness in tone and a smooth action and vibe that makes me want to play it. Those Gibson Girls had to be really something special to keep the operations going during WWII. The women made some fabulous instruments. Mine sure is.

User Info Menu

Just wondering, is this bridge the original one? Looks like Brazilian rosewood...'40s Gibson L-7-img_2031-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Its a nice looking original Gibson bridge, but I'm pretty sure a '48 wouldn't have had a double footed base

I have a '49 L-7c, '50 L-4c and '52 ES-150, all having original bridges with single foot bases.
    Its likely mid to later 50's, but don't recall the exact year the double foot began to be used.

All that said, if it were me I would be quite happy to use the one that you have!

User Info Menu

53 I think is when they switched. But that still looks like a Gibson bridge so I wouldn’t complain.

Also if you want to get really anal, those knobs are not authentic.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I see! Still wondering why a post-1953 bridge would be put on a 1948 Gibson? Anyway, I'm curious how a different bridge would affect tone as it is the main transfer of freqs from strings to top...

Knobs are MXR's for practical reasons. I keep the original ones of course.

User Info Menu

From my experience its pretty common for old guitars to have acquired swapped out or misplaced parts for all sorts of practical or mysterious reasons.

My '50 L-4c came to me with a Harmony bridge that had a very narrow string spacing and was "just plain wrong" of course.
    So first I put a late 50's two footed Gibson bridge on and it served me well until later I found a nice original.

I noticed no change in the guitar's tone between the two Gibson bridges. (maybe someone else might)
    My L-4c still had a middling but adequate acoustic tone but remained just fine amplified.
    So for me, getting it back to the original part had not much to do with tone or use, but is just something I like to do with old guitars.

I'm sure some previous owner had a good practical reason to put that bridge on there.
    Unless restoration is important to you, your bridge looks and likely works right and it makes sense to leave it alone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jpb
    Thanks, I see! Still wondering why a post-1953 bridge would be put on a 1948 Gibson? Anyway, I'm curious how a different bridge would affect tone as it is the main transfer of freqs from strings to top...

Knobs are MXR's for practical reasons. I keep the original ones of course.
    FWIW my '52 L-7 acoustic has a double foot and I'm pretty sure it's original.

As far as a bridge change affecting tone, it'll depend what you have to start with and what you change to. I changed my Wesmo TOM to ebony and that was noticeable. I believe a rosewood to ebony swap will usually darken the tone, but not sure how much.
    Rosewood single to double foot probably won't be that significant.
    All in all, that bridge looks like it belongs, and if it sounds ok, I'd leave it.

Just MHO

User Info Menu

IMO changing between solid and two-foot bases does affect the sound, but in ways I find unpredictable. It depends on the guitar. Some sound better to me with one style base, some with another, and I've found no way of knowing without doing the change and listening.

User Info Menu

I had a 36 L7 that sounded way better with a cheapo stew mac 2-foot bridge than it did with the original.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    FWIW my '52 L-7 acoustic has a double foot and I'm pretty sure it's original. ...All in all, that bridge looks like it belongs, and if it sounds ok, I'd leave it. Just MHO
    In my notes I have '52-'53 for the changeover, but I've never been OCD enough to nail down anything more specific.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your replies. I have no plans of changing the bridge. Guitar sounds fine!

User Info Menu

Purchased this recently from a shop up in the far NE. A reputable dealer judging from their reviews, etc.
    Unfortunately, I believe it was an anomaly, they did not pack the guitar inside the case very well and the pickguard broke off.
    They apologized and said they would make good on the repair which has already been done. That inconvenience aside, I am very happy with the guitar so far.
    I had a Dearmond pickup I've been holding onto installed when they were doing the repair. The strings don't line up perfectly with the pickup perfectly without having to cut a notch in the PG which I didn't want to do. The guys who did the repair thought the sound was still even.

Anyway, the main reason I posted the guitar was to try and date it. The shop labeled it a "50's L-7", but the serial number had been scrubbed away when they received it from the consignee. There is a FON# (I believe that is what it is), but the results of my search using that number have been confusing.

Can anyone help me with dating this based on other criteria??????

Thanks for any help!

'40s Gibson L-7-l7-front-jpg'40s Gibson L-7-l7-back-jpg'40s Gibson L-7-l7-tuners-jpg'40s Gibson L-7-l7-serial-num-jpg'40s Gibson L-7-l7-fon-jpg

User Info Menu

I think that FON fits with 1949. I’ll take a closer look at the rest of the pics too though.

Edit: The white label fits with that era too. I’m going to stick with 1949.

User Info Menu

Looks like a 1949

• Gibson Factory Order Numbers, 1942 to 1951.

• Serial numbers are seldon found on instruments made during WW2. But most (not all) have Factory Order Numbers (FON). These contain a four digit batch number stamped in ink, followed by a two digit sequence number written in red pencil (during WW2 only). After the war, the red pencil wasn't used (and on instruments made during the war, sometimes it's really hard to see the red penciled sequence number). Usually there is no more than 46 instruments (sequence numbers) per batch. Also no batch number with a "1" as the first digit was used during WW2. The FON is usually located on the neck block. The war-time list that follows is not definative but includes FONs that I have seen. Unfortunately I don't have every range of FON's during this period.Year Factory Order Number
        ---- --------------------
        1941 G (letter code sometimes seen after FON, i.e. 2586G).
        1942 907, 910, 923, 2004, 2005, 7000ish (i.e. 7119) - all 'Banner' logo.
        1942 H (letter code sometimes seen after FON, i.e. 7116H). Range 5xxxH to 8xxxH
        1943 Range generally 9xx to 22xx, depending on the model.
        1944 Range generally 22xx to 29XX, depending on the model, some with no FON.
        1945 1xx to 10xx, but many with no FON.
        1946 n/a ('Banner' logo no longer used, now script logo with no banner).
        1947 700s to 1000s
        1948 1100s to 3700s ('Script' logo no longer used, block logo used.)
        1949 2000s
        1950 3000s to 5000s
        1951 6000s to 9000s

Source

User Info Menu

More importantly, congrats on an amazing guitar. L7 with a Guitar Mike, it really doesn't get better than that.

User Info Menu

Don't mean to rain on your NGD but typically a destroyed serial number unfortunatey indicates a stolen instrument, but who knows how long ago it could have been.
    Anyway, that guard is offgassing and should be removed.
    Congrats and good luck w it!

User Info Menu

Why would somebody scrub off the serial number? A factory reject? The same number issued twice? There's been a purpose. A lovely guitar, IMHO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Don't mean to rain on your NGD but typically a destroyed serial number unfortunatey indicates a stolen instrument, but who knows how long ago it could have been.
    Anyway, that guard is offgassing and should be removed.
    Congrats and good luck w it!
    Yes, the guys at Lark Street mentioned that. I said that I never put my guitars in the case and they said that it will continue just slower. I am going to have a replacement made up with possibly a notch cut for pickup to hang unfettered. Still deciding.
    Thanks for the well wishes!

User Info Menu

Obviously the tuners are replacements judging from the previous holes. What would be the original style of tuners for this era?
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Probably these, which yours look to be reproductions of. So they have the right look.

Less likely these, since these are less common by ‘49 and these have a larger base which would probably have left an imprint.

User Info Menu

Nice score! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Great score! Jeff Healey played an L7 with a Johnny Smith pickup with the Jazz Wizards just before he passed away. He used it both acoustic and electric.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Nice looking L-7 DMgolf66!
    Hope you love it...

I've been enjoying my '45 L-7 and '49 L-7c for years now.....

This topic got me looking at the serial number and FON on my '49.
    According to a variety of sources, the serial number tells me its a '49 but the FON indicates it was built in '48.
    I'd never bothered looking at the FON before or even thinking about it, but now I've got new information and have come to a new understanding.
    My best guess is they began building it in '48 (hence the FON)......
    ....and completed it and attached the oval label serial number in '49.

For certain people (me for sure) thats interesting to know....a minuscule bit of the guitar's history...a very slight game changer perhaps!

I'd agree with the others to declare yours a '49 and move on, because even with all the numbers, opinions and uncertainty dating Gibson serial numbers and FON's, sometimes you just don't know for sure.

Anyway now that its out of the case, its a good time to be playing the thing....

z

User Info Menu

Mine is a 1948, number A1513.
    Attached Images Attached Images '40s Gibson L-7-img_1285-jpg '40s Gibson L-7-two-guitars-jpg '40s Gibson L-7-img_1284-jpg