The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 186

User Info Menu

I can easily be wrong cause I've not used etsy, but I think reverb has some advantages for selling? Smaller commission, free posting where Etsy charges to renew, paypal so no unauthorized transactions can occur, can charge for shipping (wouldn't like that to change), better customer service, search engine.

I hope Etsy doesn't shut reverb off, the way I read they did with other smaller competitors they bought.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had previously posted concerning Ebay fees and the cost if you use the "Reserve" option.

Now on to Reverb.
    I sold my 1965 Fender Deluxe nonreverb amp recently. The buyer did not want the early 1966 Utah speaker that was in it. So I pulled it. Among other places, I put it on Reverb. The speaker had been reconed and tested. Good to go. My intital asking price was $199. But I ran a 15% discount promotion. The price became $169.15.
    The speaker sold. The Reverb fees are based on the orginal selling price, not the sale price.
    1. Processing fee $5.23 (2.6%)
    2. Selling fee $6.97 (3.5%)
    3. Bump Advertisement fee $9.96
    (5%)
    The processing and selling fees are mandatory. The Bump fee is a percentage sliding scale. The seller decides what percentage is used in the sale. The higher the percentage, the greater the expose your item gets.
    Last edited by Wildcat; 11-26-2019 at 03:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Damn - That's 13%! A consignment will get you the exposure for not much more money and significantly less headache. I'm considering moving all my listings to consignment. I live close enough to Gryphon that I might just drop everything there. People in Palo Alto love paying premiums.

User Info Menu

I find it interesting that the fees were based on the original price rather than the actual sale price.

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Damn - That's 13%! A consignment will get you the exposure for not much more money and significantly less headache. I'm considering moving all my listings to consignment. I live close enough to Gryphon that I might just drop everything there. People in Palo Alto love paying premiums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I find it interesting that the fees were based on the original price rather than the actual sale price.
    Yes, that's not right imo.
    If it's 13% isn't that more than ebay + PayPal?

User Info Menu

I think their strategy has modified now that they have reached massive scale. I haven't looked at their financials but I would bet you they took on massive losses to acquire customers and now they're trying to increase margins to make the unit economics work. Who knows what other directions they might take since their recent acquisition by Etsy.

User Info Menu

You know, another thought I've considered is Retrofret. They tend to price at the top of the market, but their gear always seems to move. Even with consignment fees and cost of shipping to NY, it might not be much worse than Reverb is today.

User Info Menu

I am starting to feel that EBay/Reverb fees plus paypal fees can result in a lower net to a seller than paying a 20 percent consignment fee with an established dealer. The dealer will get (in most cases) a higher price (there is usually a "private party" discount expected by most buyers).

A free Craigslist ad with a face to face cash deal is best, but not always possible. When selling online, there is risk (shipping damage and fraud ) to consider. I have read horror stories on this forum.

I have had auctions not bring what I had hoped for, shipping cost more than I assumed and had a few items show up with undisclosed defects with online sales and purchases.

With local stuff, I have had flaky buyers and sellers both waste my time.

If you consign to a store and it does not sell for a price you can live with, you may get it back with play wear (dings and scratches that were not there when you consigned it).

Probably the best move for most of us is to quit while we are ahead and be happy with what we have. But we are guitar players. We want more. At least one more.

User Info Menu

I'm not seeing any indication of these rates. The site still claims 3.5% selling fee, and then a payment processing fee of 2.7 or 2.9.
    What am I missing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    I'm not seeing any indication of these rates. The site still claims 3.5% selling fee, and then a payment processing fee of 2.7 or 2.9.
    What am I missing?
    Bump fee

User Info Menu

Okay.
    Processing fee 2.6%
    Selling fee 3.5 %
    Total 6.1%

The Bump fee is voluntary at a sliding scale of 0% to 5%.

So 6.1% to 11.1%

However, as a seller if you have an item that is not a common item, ie., 1966 Vintage Fender speaker, or wanted to sell in a timely manner, I felt a need to Bump it to get the visibility needed to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    What am I missing?

User Info Menu

This is a "snapshot" of an item that you all can relate to. The purpose if your contemplating selling an item to explore your options at this time.

The big take away is that the percentages for fees was based not on the actual sale price, (discounted), but the original listed price.

User Info Menu

That seems unfair. If you agree to do one of their 15% sales, they should discount the fees by 15%. I would call them and complain if I were you. I'll bet that they do an adjustment/refund.

User Info Menu

Doesn't Gryphon charge 20%-30% for consignments?

User Info Menu

FWIW, I just "chatted" with someone from Reverb -- she said the selling fee is based on the "sold" price (with shipping, etc.), and not the "listed" price (if these are different).

User Info Menu

The selling fee is a standard 3.5%.
    The math on this says.
    $199.00 (orginal price) x 3.5 = $6.97
    $169.15 (sale price) x 3.5 = $5.92
    They charged me $6.97.

The processing fee is the one I had no idea about. I was like doesn't the selling fee include this?

User Info Menu

So I got it figured out.
    1. Orginal price $199 + shipping estimate listed $30 =$229
    2. Sale price $169.15 + shipping $30 = 199.15
    3. All fees are based on the combined sale price and shipping fees.
    Call me stupid but I had no idea they charged a processing fee and the fees are based on the combined sale price and shipping costs in your sale.

Buying on Reverb-20191127_093159-jpg

Buying on Reverb-20191127_094113-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Am I right - - -they're charging a fee on shipping because it's part of the money they are also collecting ?
    That is because a long time ago someone gamed ebay by selling the product for $1 and tacking on a shipping fee which was the actual selling price of the item. ebay levied a fee based on the selling price and not the shipping fee back then. As an example, a $1 Hasselblad Carl Zeiss lens and $999 shipping fee. You can't run a company collecting a 10 cents fee.

ebay soon caught on and revised its fee to include the shipping charge. Reverb is just following suit and a good thing, too.

User Info Menu

I am still trying to wrap my head around the following,
    1. They have a fee for "charge processing ".
    2. The final total inwhich the fees apply includes the shipping cost that you show on your sale.
    3. From the buyers side they are adding state sale taxes on a weekly basis. Pennsylvania my state is included now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    That seems unfair. If you agree to do one of their 15% sales, they should discount the fees by 15%. I would call them and complain if I were you. I'll bet that they do an adjustment/refund.

User Info Menu

At the one store I looked into for consigning something they asked for 20%. Seemed like a lot to me at the time, but with this info maybe not an unreasonable premium for their legwork and display space.

John

User Info Menu

Consignment fees:
    -15% was the old normal.
    -20% is the new normal.
    -Some retailers are now pushing it to 25%.

User Info Menu

...From the buyers side they are adding state sale taxes on a weekly basis. Pennsylvania my state is included now.
    IMO, one significant reason for the success of various online retail enterprises has been the ability for consumers to avoid paying sales taxes on items purchased out of state. The feds/state officials have finally, mostly, closed this loophole (and that is exactly what it was) by leaning on Paypal/Reverb/ebay etceteras. I believe this will put a noticeable dent in transaction revenue for many online sellers as consumers adjust their spending accordingly.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-28-2019 at 02:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Mandolin Brothers and Gruhn were charging 25% back in the day.

User Info Menu

I wonder if you can pull an ad and then relist it at a lower price without having to do all the work again.

User Info Menu

I buy and sell on Reverb quite a bit. I've never used the Bump feature, though. The fees seem reasonable compared to the 20% local shops charge for consignment, and I don't risk the wear and tear (or breakage) from everyone that wants to try it out in that store. The upside of the shop is that you don't have to deal with shipping.