The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 65

User Info Menu

I’m curious what people think something like this would do do the value of an otherwise perfect late fifties Gibson. Do you see the letters (you can make out “Y” upside down but there are a couple more by the switch)? Unimportant? Critical? The seller hasn’t mentioned this in the listing but I spotted it in the photos. I think someone put a couple of decals on this at one point and left them on too long, permanently marring the nitro.

Attachment 66703
    Attached Images Attached Images Nitro blemish on a vintage Gibson - value?-ef4ba010-1b19-4b11-ac02-77ecccaa512b-jpg 
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 11-26-2019 at 12:35 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I see at least 3, definitely reduces the value a bit.

User Info Menu

It is just like any usual wear and tear and what you can live with. Value is always thought of from the standpoint to mint original and sometimes I think that works against everyone. Sure it would better not to be there but has no negative structural issue, might be able to buff it out or clean up easily. The guitar is over 60 years old and does it play well and sound good? If so then frankly just buy it for what it is worth to you guitars are horrible investments really.

Mark, I get you. In fact, I prefer a player over a collectible piece for sure. I can live with the imperfections because it makes it easier on the conscience to take the guitar out to rehearsals and gigs. I just don't want to pay collectible price for a player. I appreciate your perspective. Nonetheless, I think this is a bit off topic. My question was very specific.

User Info Menu

Maybe 10-15% discount from a VG value. What is the guitar and what is the ask$?

1957 Gibson ES-175DN. $10k.

My stomach churns as I read that aloud, lol.

User Info Menu

My 1,000,000 cents:

If you had held it and said, "With this, I am Retired From Buying* " then the barely visible "Johnny Nerd" decal residue wouldn't matter.

If you're buying online, there will be pictures of other $10,000 ES-175s.

Good luck and give thanks for the InterWebz!

I've held it. Hence the dilemma!

User Info Menu

Price reduction - perhaps $2.50 per letter.

In my world, there's no 60-year-old plywood guitar that's worth $10,000.
    Maybe if the Pope owned it and Jim Hall and Joe Pass played it simultaneously.

User Info Menu

I wonder if that can just be sanded out and buffed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I wonder if that can just be sanded out and buffed.
    If the finish is original over the entirety of the instrument, sanding and buffing will reduce the value more than leaving the shadows of the letters present.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    If the finish is original over the entirety of the instrument, sanding and buffing will reduce the value more than leaving the shadows of the letters present.
    I would personally find a vintage guitar with random letter shaped marks on it less desirable than one with minor local cosmetic finish repair. But then the vintage market is weird, clearly there are some out there who'd rather have those letter marks on their guitar than to know that the guitar had a local cosmetic finish repair.

I would personally find a vintage guitar with random letter shaped marks on it less desirable than one with minor local cosmetic finish repair. But then the vintage market is weird, clearly there are some out there who'd rather have those letter marks on their guitar than to know that the guitar had a local cosmetic finish repair.
    I *personally* would, too. However it's the position of the majority (or at least the influential minority) that sets prices. Disagreeing with prices can work in your favor. The problem is, arbitrage strategies carry higher risk.

Anyway. Spoke to the seller and they were reasonable. Deal made. NGD.

User Info Menu

Strange thing is, a typical several million dollars worth "original" Stradivari violin would have gone through more intrusive repairs many times during it's life time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I *personally* would, too. However it's the position of the majority (or at least the influential minority) that sets prices. Disagreeing with prices can work in your favor. The problem is, arbitrage strategies carry higher risk.

Anyway. Spoke to the seller and they were reasonable. Deal made. NGD.
    Yes, I was referring to the collector crowd.

Congratulations, enjoy it.

User Info Menu

$10,000? That is a lot of money!

User Info Menu

Congratulations. Looking forward to the pics...Nitro blemish on a vintage Gibson - value?

User Info Menu

Yes, I was referring to the collector crowd.

Congratulations, enjoy it.
    FYI, it's not just the collector crowd. Finish abnormalities reduce the price. Original finish is desirable. Touch-ups. Overspray, etc. diminish the price whether you're a collector or a player or a combination of both.

Oh, and congratulations to Omphalopsychos!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    FYI, it's not just the collector crowd. Finish abnormalities reduce the price. Original finish is desirable. Touch-ups. Overspray, etc. diminish the price whether you're a collector or a player or a combination of both.
    Of course it does. Why wouldn't it. I guess you missed the context of that response.
    The context was my statement:
    "I would personally find a vintage guitar with random letter shaped marks on it less desirable than one with minor local cosmetic finish repair."

User Info Menu

really depends on your negotiating skills...if you want to turn it into a big deal..then certainly you could get a price reduction for a "marred" guitar...seller obviously knows its there, and doesn't mention it..so that shows he's sensitive to it

good chance that some naptha on cloth would wipe it away without affecting nitro..but don't tell seller!! haha

haggle on

of course it could also turn out from the letters, that the guitar belonged to a famous player, and jack the price up!!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    really depends on your negotiating skills...if you want to turn it into a big deal..then certainly you could get a price reduction for a "marred" guitar...seller obviously knows its there, and doesn't mention it..so that shows he's sensitive to it

good chance that some naptha on cloth would wipe it away without affecting nitro..but don't tell seller!! haha

haggle on

of course it could also turn out from the letters, that the guitar belonged to a famous player, and jack the price up!!! haha

cheers
    Doubt naptha's taking them off, that's not surface adhesive, it reacted w the nitro, seen it many times. I'd certainly try it though!

User Info Menu

If I had to bet (and I don't), that finish could be wet sanded, resprayed with a touch of antique natural tint if needed, and resprayed with clear. In 5-10 years of sun exposure you may not even see any difference where the touch up was. I have personal experience with this!

The other goofball who put a sticker on his guitar is this guy. Sheesh.

Nitro blemish on a vintage Gibson - value?-wes-montgomery-david-redfern-e1551889226651-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    If I had to bet (and I don't), that finish could be wet sanded, resprayed with a touch of antique natural tint if needed, and resprayed with clear. In 5-10 years of sun exposure you may not even see any difference where the touch up was. I have personal experience with this!

Nitro blemish on a vintage Gibson - value?-wes-montgomery-david-redfern-e1551889226651-jpg
    Sticker, really? News to me,
    I know Gibson made him a couple L-5s w/pearl inlaid in that spot as his old Alnico model had wear from his finger there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass

I wonder how much discount one would be able to get due to the damage to the finish of that guitar.

User Info Menu

yes, that was there to circumvent wes wearing a hole thru the archtop...no vanity involved!!! haha

till later-

cheers