Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 65 of 65

User Info Menu

As always, great stuff MG.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    Can't be Biily's. I am blessed to have his '64 ES-175 SP!
    Attachment 66727
    “Well, it is not mutual, said the 175 in herself”

I thought the essence of the 175 character is the PU placement (besides of the extra body depth and the wood).
    Maybe I was wrong, but regardless of the tone, this seems to me a bit disrespect.

User Info Menu

Yeah, my 1950 ES-125 also had some blemishes when I bought it:

Glad it did.... who wants to pay $10,000 for a guitar that you will take on the road and that you will play at concerts, bars, pubs, whatever... ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    Can't be Biily's. I am blessed to have his '64 ES-175 SP!
    Attachment 66727
    So does that ES 175 sound noticeably different than ones with standard pickup placement?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! You moved the neck pickup???

I love it.
    Billy had the pickup moved because he didn't like it being under his preferred picking position on his guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    So does that ES 175 sound noticeably different than ones with standard pickup placement?
    This is difficult to quantify firstly due to the nature of ES175's all sounding slightly unique, and Billy's guitar being very resonant perhaps from all the extra glue when it was put back together after he crushed it when he fell with it in the later years of his life. Also he had a different neck put on it in the 1960's (another drunken accident?) and it became 25 1/2 inch scale.
    Nitro blemish on a vintage Gibson - value?-billybean1-jpgNitro blemish on a vintage Gibson - value?-billybean3-jpgNitro blemish on a vintage Gibson - value?-billybean6-jpgNitro blemish on a vintage Gibson - value?-billybean5-jpgNitro blemish on a vintage Gibson - value?-billybean4-jpgNitro blemish on a vintage Gibson - value?-billybean2-jpg

User Info Menu

I have to ask...Who is/was "Billy" ?

I assume he was a famous jazz guitarist?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    I have to ask...Who is/was "Billy" ?

I assume he was a famous jazz guitarist?

Thanks
    Billy Bauer

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....BL._SY355_.jpg
    Last edited by Little Jay; 11-30-2019 at 08:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    This is the least I can do to contribute. Apologies to the OP for the derail.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    that's Bucky Pizzarelli, Howard Alden, Herb Ellis, and Billy Bauer playing his D'Angelico Excel
    Easy's guitar is Billy Bean's old 175

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    This is the least I can do to contribute. Apologies to the OP for the derail.

What derail? I only come here for the music.

User Info Menu

Just for the record Jonathan Kreisberg also plays the 175

User Info Menu

Billy Bean gets his guitar back after Seth Greenberg had it repaired for him. Billy Bean (musician) - WikipediaNitro blemish on a vintage Gibson - value?-billy-gibson3-jpgNitro blemish on a vintage Gibson - value?-fullsizeoutput_c61-jpgNitro blemish on a vintage Gibson - value?-fullsizeoutput_c63-jpgNitro blemish on a vintage Gibson - value?-fullsizeoutput_3b8-jpg
    And with Charlie Ventura playing bebop on his Epi Zephyr. Sorry to hi-jack the thread Omph. Just had to let more peeps know about Billy Bean (undoubtedly influenced by Billy Bauer). You have a super bad-ass guitar. Long live Es-175 enthusiasts!

User Info Menu

Oops, I mixed up Billy Bean with Billy Bauer, sorry.....

I have this album, very nice:

https://dgwh4hty77sxy.cloudfront.net...crop/image.jpg

User Info Menu

Ouch! that brace broken right at the weak kerfed point...