The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

I've came across a Heritage H550 sale, and played with the thought as a (big) Christmas present, despite of the fact it is a bit out of my league.

Seeing the bridge, I can not decide have this guitar a solid center block (the fixed bridge indicates it), but the same time it seems almost a full deep body?
    I've tried to find info in the Heritage web site, but H550 is not listed...

My more general question, if anyone has experience this instrument tone-wise please share what do you think.

Heritage H-550?-89498123121-1-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've never seen one in person, but they sure are a gorgeous guitar. I think of it as the Tal Farlow for those who don't dig the scroll. But maybe not, because I like both.

Personally, I'd like a traditional bridge as I think it'd "thunk" harder with one, but having never met one in person I can't say for sure. Definitely doesn't seem to be too many of them out there, nor do I see them for sale very often, which probably means they're good

User Info Menu

I believe the top is reinforced under the bridge, but not a full depth block. Similar to an ES-330(?) I used to have a picture, but now I can't find it.

User Info Menu

The H550 is no longer produced by Heritage, which is why you won't find it on the Heritage website.

User Info Menu

I owned one of these many years ago. It does have a ~3/4 inch thick block that is glued to the top under the pickups and the bridge. (It has been a long time so not sure of exact thickness).

I found the tone was very thick but not woody or resonant enough for me. I blamed this on the block. I sold it.

User Info Menu

The top is reinforced with a block that is thicker towards the bridge than neck.

Heritage H-550?-heritageh550_block-2-jpgHeritage H-550?-heritageh550_block-1-jpg

I'm not a fan of the Shaller roller bridge, the lower mass Gibson ABR-1 style bridge sounds better to me. I was able to mount an ABR-1 style bridge by using 'Nashville to ABR-1' adapter posts and an aftermarket ABR-1 bridge. Philadelphia Luthier Supply has the posts, Gotoh and Kluson make nice ABR-1 style bridges. Kluson makes one with nylon saddles that will soften the sound a bit. Here are some pics before notching the saddles, I need to try the nylon saddles on this guitar - with the block it's not quite the sound of a Tal Farlow (nylon saddles should get a little closer) but the neck and playability are much nicer than a Gibson.

Heritage H-550?-2001_heritage_h-550-1-jpgHeritage H-550?-2001_heritage_h-550-2-jpgHeritage H-550?-2001_heritage_h-550-4-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Heritage H-550?-2001_heritage_h-550-3-jpg 

User Info Menu

Those are great guitars and you can fiddle with the bridge to get the response you want. If is was me I would actually go with a n ebony saddle and set the puppy right down.

User Info Menu

Severson talks a little about the wood piece here:

User Info Menu

This is a beautiful instrument that plays well and has a great electric jazz tone. It won't cost as much as a carved top.

It's easy to switch out the bridges. I like the Schaller well enough for fingerstyle. I can increase the string spacing.

User Info Menu

Rich does a great job in his video review like Woody says. I have one similar to the one in your picture. I do have a replacement bridge and a Lollar Imperial in the neck. If the price is right I think you'll be very happy. I play in a large group with horns and no issues with feedback. Mine has a ton of road rash and I love it. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Heritage H550's are great jazz guitars. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I miss mine and may replace it if the right one comes along.

User Info Menu

Used to own one just like the one pictured in OP. Definitely an excellent guitar that can cover a lot of sonic ground. The only real drawback for me was the 17" x 3" body size which was a bit too large for me.

Probably one of the best deals in the used market for sure!

User Info Menu

I think the 550 was Heritage's take on the iconic ES-350. (And I STILL don't understand why Gibson never released a reissue.)

User Info Menu

Still enjoy my 550 after many years. Seems to me they make a great gigging guitar for those with an L5 or similar and want the familiarty of a 17" body and 25.5 scale length. I think the body may be a little shallower though.

I had a gibson style ABR bridge installed on mine but I went back to the Schaller as I did not find any real improvement in tone.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all input.

Supposing it is very good condition, no playability issues, but costs around $2000 it is a bit on the high limit, and no one can call it bargain, am I correct?

User Info Menu

I'm definitely not an expert in this sort of guitar but the price seems pretty good based on my memory.

User Info Menu

Sold H550's listed on Reverb give a good idea of the market for this guitar...

"heritage h550 " Gear | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I think the 550 was Heritage's take on the iconic ES-350. (And I STILL don't understand why Gibson never released a reissue.)
    Most likely because of the 2 big names who played one in Jazz, one has already a reissue of his 350 based signature instrument and the other one never really played his signature and even taped the Gibson logo on his 350...
    I guess the reason only the 350T got reissued is because its a thin line which tend to be more popular and Chuck Berry associated with it

User Info Menu

$2000 seems fair to me, especially if in very good condition and with OHSC.

User Info Menu

@MaxTwang, I'm looking at acquiring a Heritage H-550 as a workhorse and was wondering if you think it's worth the effort to replace the Shaller roller bridge with the lower mass Gibson ABR-1??

• Was there a significant tone change going to ABR? I must admit the roller bridge doesn't look as good IMO.
    • Did you ever try nylon saddles, any results you can share on that? I put some on my L-5ces and really like the sound.
    • Are you using the stock pickups?

Thanks in advance for any H-550 mod advice!

User Info Menu

I have an H550 (and an H575 and H530). Love the 550 and would agree with most of the comments about tone. It is an interesting guitar, in that, it is highly finished. One example is the edges of the F-holes are finished. I don't have that on my H575 OR my Gibson ES 175. It is a beautiful guitar and great for electric jazz tones.

User Info Menu

Hello all, I just acquired a 1995 H550 and it's freaking awesome!! I have a L5ces and Super 400ces and wanted a 25 1/2 laminate workhorse.

Like most, I'm not too excited about the Schaller roller bridge and pickups

• Can anyone provide insights on the impacts of converting to an ABR? I was thinking of going ABR with Nylon saddles, as i have em on my L5 and love the combo.
    • Thinking of putting in some gibson 57's or Lollar Imperials. -A big improvement from the stock Schallers?

Thanks in Advance!
    Heritage H-550?-1995-heritage-h550-guitar-body-front-full-jpg

User Info Menu

Congrats on the 550. It looks very nice.

I have one from a few years later and kept it stock. I did lower the neck pickup alot to get the sound I like. I don't bother with the bridge pickup. Traditional TOM bridges have cause me issues with strings breaking in the past so I have gown to appreciate and even prefer the Schaller roller bridge.

User Info Menu

That is a very beautiful instrument. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

I've had roller bridges on a couple of archtops, and never experience any difficulties, provided the strings are properly stretched in. But by all means, try the nylon saddles, which have a mellow character of their own.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input guys!
    Just to appease my curiosity, I ordered the Faber conversion kit and will A/B with the Schaller Roller & a standard TOM to start. I'm very curious to see what the results are
    #3051 NSWKIT™ Gloss Nickel, conversion posts for Gibson(R) with Nashville and Heritage(R) with Schaller bridges - Corsa-FaberUSA

I finally got to crank up the Schaller Pups a bit in the studio and did indeed need to lower them, thanks for the tip @wavygravy They are pretty hot and decent sounding, but not much character I felt. I'm def going to go with a Lollar Imperial in the bridge and still researching a neck pup. -I'll keep you guys posted on testing results...