The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Actually, many tune-o-matic bridges will simply pop right onto the existing Schaller posts, since Schaller provided the same posts and "Nashville" bridges as used on several million Gibson guitars from the '70s through the '00s. Schaller was in disarray for a few yars after Schaller Jr. drove his Porsche into a brick wall, and his mom ran the company for while, during which time they lost that contract to Ping. There are now some incompatibilites between current Gibson tuneomatic bridges and older Schaller ones.

The Faber conversion stuff is great. Another cool, more recent thing is this type of widely available replacement bridge, which looks traditional but offers the benefits of a roller bridge. Unlike the Schaller, these do not offer the ability to alter string spacing:
    Attached Images Attached Images Heritage H-550?-tuneomatic-roller-bridge-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-24-2020 at 08:18 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Argh, I didn't even test a drop in with an old tune-O, as I assumed the Schaller roller I had was a different width when looking at the specs on their site: STM | Bridges | Schaller Webshop

Overall the guitar has amazing sustain, but kinda pingy and bright acoustically (no mids). I'm playing carved top Gibsons (L5ces/400ces), so I suppose it could also be just the 550 model and being laminate. I was thinking going ABR it might have a bit more direct pull over the saddle and tighten up the sound? Also was thinking of trying the TonePros G Nylon Saddles to see if it balances the tone overall? I guess I'll start with an ABR with brass saddles and go from there >>>Thanks!!

User Info Menu

The spacing between the posts is the same, but the Schaller posts for their roller bridge are shorter above the knurled adjusters, because the posts do not go through the body of that particular bridge. The posts for the Schaller Nashville bridge are longer, because they extend through the bridge body. This means that one can use the Schaller roller bridge posts with other bridges so long as the diameter of the holes in the bridge body is big enough to accommodate them. One cannot use a Schaller roller bridge with Schaller Nashville posts unless one trims down the posts above the knurled adjusters, or gets correct matching posts.

Folks use the Faber kit mainly reduce the number of contact points between the saddle and the body. This applies mostly to Les Paul and ES-3x5 weenies who are concerned with losing their haunting mids, or losing sustain. On a hollow-body jazz box, the differences are trivial, IMO. But tune-o-matics definitely look way cooler.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-15-2020 at 06:51 PM.

User Info Menu

AH hah, that helps greatly, I was assuming it was a post width conversion!
    The adjustable string width on the Schaller Roller is cool, but I kind of hate how easy it is to roll them when you are changing strings. I'm just too curious now to see how the ABR with the nylons sound on it, so have to go forward and try lol. Thanks so much!!

User Info Menu

Ok wow, my Luthier just installed the tonepros ABR with the Nylon G Saddles and it totally balanced out the 550! It tamed the pingy highs and it's way warmer overall. It def brought it a bit closer into the carved top realm. It did seem to reduce the overall sustain a bit, but the change did exactly what I wanted it to do It was a direct drop in:

AVR2G – TonePros Replacement ABR-1 Tuneomatic with “G Formula” saddles | TonePros

My takeaway for Heritage H550 bridge mods is go with the TonePros ABR with Nylon G Saddles, if your'e looking for more of a Wes type of sound and play with the tone & vol rolled back a bit on the neck PuP. If you want a brighter, ringy acoustic sound I'd go with a regular ABR with metal saddles, or just keep the Schaller.

Thanks again guys, appreciate the guidance - Shes Rockin now!!!

Heritage H-550?-new-tonepros-abr-bridge-nylon-g-saddles-jpg

User Info Menu

I found one used in the early 90's. Great sound and the playability is second to none. It doesn't sound as bright as a carved top, but I changed that with some TI Jazz BeBops. Not many are around and I get asked all the time what is that guitar, it sounds so smooth and warm. It's a keeper for me and no need to have multiple guitars because it is also pretty versatile. Well, may be I do use a Strat for some things.

User Info Menu

Hi to all there,

I have been searching one of these, quite pretty indeed, H-550 and recently found a nice one at Carter Vintage in Nashville, but.... the time to get the money available (selling another guitar ...of course) giving them a call yesterday and -really bad luck for me- it was already sold the day before.

I put here a picture of this one, seems more (quite nice)"tobaco burst" than any other I've seen but that's maybe due to the way the picture came out,
    as far as I have seen all from these years, end 90's, are more as on previous pictures in this thread, a natural sunburst.

Ok, so, anyway why I'm here is to ask if ever someone would have a H-550 that wants to find another home, I still search one indeed. Here I am.
    All the best, take care, ... and play guitar !

Heritage H-550?-heritage-h-550-1997-jpeg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmsimon
    Hi to all there,

I have been searching one of these, quite pretty indeed, H-550 and recently found a nice one at Carter Vintage in Nashville, but.... the time to get the money available (selling another guitar ...of course) giving them a call yesterday and -really bad luck for me- it was already sold the day before.

I put here a picture of this one, seems more (quite nice)"tobaco burst" than any other I've seen but that's maybe due to the way the picture came out,
    as far as I have seen all from these years, end 90's, are more as on previous pictures in this thread, a natural sunburst.

Ok, so, anyway why I'm here is to ask if ever someone would have a H-550 that wants to find another home, I still search one indeed. Here I am.
    All the best, take care, ... and play guitar !

Heritage H-550?-heritage-h-550-1997-jpeg
    and good luck in your quest !

User Info Menu

Hi there !
    thanks for your help
    Indeed I had already seen these ones.
    But none of these will be "the good one"

at bassNguitar it had the back of the neck sanded... weird
    plus indeed the tailpiece that seems not original and the wood is not that nice
    3200€

the one in Greece (Athens Music) is nice anyway
    but ...3500€

the one in Japan, black is black - nice wood prefered...
    3000€ at least to import

and ...gosh... the one is USA at "Adirondack Guitar' is defintely so expensive
    5800 € !

The one from the picture I posted here desperately missed at "Carter Vintage" was 2000€

well, patience, wait and see !
    Talk soon & all the best !

User Info Menu

Wow, prices for H-550’s have gone through the roof. If an H-550 can sell for $3800 what is the price of a beautiful Golden Eagle?

User Info Menu

Hello, here are photos of the 2011 heritage H-550 which was for sale at bassnguitar. she was at the luthier, the varnish of the handle has just been redone.

It's rare but the tailpiece is original, it was offered on several archtop heritage in 2011. The guitar is very precise and the construction is perfect.

Heritage H-550?-df9582c4-b0a7-44a7-9be3-540c2bd13a07-jpeg

Heritage H-550?-be8f3d64-b6de-430f-9e84-8ba444ee709d-jpeg

Heritage H-550?-d879a359-5ceb-4bbd-b6cc-041acd11c08d-jpeg

Heritage H-550?-495247b7-f98a-4b7a-bdb4-eb6956125ff9-jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images Heritage H-550?-214c32ca-bd9f-47af-b518-7b2faf02e66a-jpeg