The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 78

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing Joe, as always. I love the guitar too.
    Keith

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow! Joe, this guitar sounds so good in your capable hands, and looks just so fine! At a certain level, Craft becomes Art. This guitar is a piece of Art. Your playing is from the heart. It is Art. Always be You, man.

And kudos and to you, Big! And many more... Ya done good, fella!

Vinnie, keep doin' what you're doin' 'cause you're doin' good!

And Mark, if you're reading this - your guitars are second to none! None!

To all:

User Info Menu

Always nice to see your vids. The campy sounds super. Defiantly seems to suite your style.

User Info Menu

ps- hey Joe D..been re-listening...think it could take one gauge higher thoms string setup...think it'd really make it sing..it's got a very lively top..if the fingers don't mind! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Joe, Congratulations on your new guitar and more importantly for finding a good friend. Happy Birthday Big Mike. May you have many more.
    Thank you Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    another great jazz guitar forum story!!...beautiful all around in every way...love the multi camera shoot...and of course the guitar and playing...wonderful stuff...rich tones from top to bottom..notes ring beautifully
    & happy b-day to bm!
    congrats & enjoy Joe D
    cheers
    Thanks Neatomic. You are always a classy person.

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I never got to see Johnny Smith perform, but I got to meet him at s NAMM show one time. I told him that my father saw him perform in Toronto in the late 1950’s and it was a life-changing experience for my father. I told Johnny that my father talked about that evening for the rest of his life, and was absolutely blown away by Johnny’s playing. Johnny actually remembered the gig, which was cool (I don’t imagine that he travelled to Toronto too many times). He was a very nice, humble guy. Fortunately, I got to see Joe Pass many times from his days with Oscar Peterson and NHOP right through to the last year of his life. I even had a chance to spend an entire day with Joe, talking about music, family and life in general. I told him how much of an impact his playing had on me. I will never forget that day.
    Keith
    Wow Keith. It’s good to know my idols were so approachable. Great info. Joe is buried near my home. I want to do a video by his gravesite one day.
    Thanks buddy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Beautiful playing Joe, as always. I love the guitar too.
    Keith
    Thanks again buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Wow! Joe, this guitar sounds so good in your capable hands, and looks just so fine! At a certain level, Craft becomes Art. This guitar is a piece of Art. Your playing is from the heart. It is Art. Always be You, man.
    And kudos and to you, Big! And many more... Ya done good, fella!

Vinnie, keep doin' what you're doin' 'cause you're doin' good!
    And Mark, if you're reading this - your guitars are second to none! None!
    To all:
    C74, thank you very much my good man.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Always nice to see your vids. The campy sounds super. Defiantly seems to suite your style.
    Ski boy, the pleasure is all mine!
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ps- hey Joe D..been re-listening...think it could take one gauge higher thoms string setup...think it'd really make it sing..it's got a very lively top..if the fingers don't mind! hah
    cheers
    N, Believe it or not, I am using 13’s. I could probably go higher, but I’d lose some fluidity. And my little hands will struggle with the stretchies for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    One of the great regrets in my life was not reaching out to Johnny when he was alive. I really wanted to tell him what he meant to me. Joe Pass too.

Deacon, thanks for you beautiful words and your meaningful and gracious contributions on this forum. You are a good guy.
    Joe D
    I did reach out to Joe Pass and never regretted it. That year of letters is a life treasure and attending his funeral was a privilege I’ve never gotten over.

Joe, Vinny, Mike, thanks for showing us what friendship is all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

wow..i figured your 12's!! amazing clarity for 13's...that's some guitar!

you could get your pat martino (15's) on with that axe!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Yeah, I ran out of 12’s.
    I actually like the 13’s. I might switch.

User Info Menu

Very nice! There is a lot to like.

First, I find it appealing on an intangible level to know the builder and to respect him. There's an inexplicable value to that- call it a good vibe. That can't be found in a sweat shop factory piece.

I like also that the ebony board isn't dyed black and isn't naturally jet black. Solid black looks great but requires depleting more ebony trees to find it, and the absence of brown streaking does not improve quality. I don't think it looks better, not any more.

F hole binding guilds the lily. As long as the buffing compound is removed from the edges, I'm good.

Fretboard inlays can be nice, but they are unnecessary. Andres Segovia did well without them. Adequate practice obviates them.

I notice the neck looks to be on the thin side. I find that very helpful with a wider nut.

It looks and sounds great. The heavier strings give a little more fullness to the sound.

I hope you keep this, Joe. There really is no need to move on to another full body archtop. When I was a pup I wish my teacher would have given me this one piece of advice: wear your guitar out. So Joe, I hope you play this until this neck finish is gone and you're on your third refret.

I know you have wandering eyes. Stop it!

(Maybe I'm projecting a bit!)

User Info Menu

Joe you are one-of-a-kind just like that guitar. You and your playing are such an inspiration and encouragement to me.

I like the guitar too. It deserves you, but without you playing it, that guitar is just lovely furniture.

The player makes the guitar. You are the best thing that ever happened to that one.

User Info Menu

I don't know what the chain is for those videos, but I find the tone fabulous. The more I am exposed to the Campellone sound and build quality, the more impressed I am.

User Info Menu

I could listen to you play all day Joe. The Campellone suits you very nicely. The tone is great and all factors contribute, from the gear to your sensitive technique.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Very nice! There is a lot to like.
    First, I find it appealing on an intangible level to know the builder and to respect him. There's an inexplicable value to that- call it a good vibe. That can't be found in a sweat shop factory piece.
    I like also that the ebony board isn't dyed black and isn't naturally jet black. Solid black looks great but requires depleting more ebony trees to find it, and the absence of brown streaking does not improve quality. I don't think it looks better, not any more.
    F hole binding guilds the lily. As long as the buffing compound is removed from the edges, I'm good.
    Fretboard inlays can be nice, but they are unnecessary. Andres Segovia did well without them. Adequate practice obviates them.
    I notice the neck looks to be on the thin side. I find that very helpful with a wider nut.
    It looks and sounds great. The heavier strings give a little more fullness to the sound.
    I hope you keep this, Joe. There really is no need to move on to another full body archtop. When I was a pup I wish my teacher would have given me this one piece of advice: wear your guitar out. So Joe, I hope you play this until this neck finish is gone and you're on your third refret.
    I know you have wandering eyes. Stop it!
    (Maybe I'm projecting a bit!)
    MG, That was a great post!
    You are right. The financial burden of caring for my in-laws and the sale (and devistating financial loss) of my house really put us in a terrible financial position. We are working our way out of it. I went from almost 10 guitars, most them expensive, to a couple. The good thing is, we are living again. My goal is to get to 3 or maybe 4. I think I know what they are now. I didnt plan on the Campellone being in the mix. But it worked its way in and I've grown attached to it. Its an eye opener.
    The prospect of wearing out a Guitar scares me to death! I like my stuff to be kept in perfect condition. So having a couple (that make sense) sort of stretches out the wear and tear aspect a bit. I am gonna play them all, and care for them lovingly.
    I know what I want now. I am not going to deviate. I know which of the two I will settle in with. The question is, will there be three? And if so, what will three be? The good thing is, I know what to choose from.
    And... If you are projecting, I am glad to help!!
    Thanks MG.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Joe you are one-of-a-kind just like that guitar. You and your playing are such an inspiration and encouragement to me.
    I like the guitar too. It deserves you, but without you playing it, that guitar is just lovely furniture.
    The player makes the guitar. You are the best thing that ever happened to that one.
    Thank you. You are one of a kind too Lawson. And one of the great friendships I've made here along the way.
    I am glad I can help! And thanks for being my pal.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I could listen to you play all day Joe. The Campellone suits you very nicely. The tone is great and all factors contribute, from the gear to your sensitive technique.
    Omph, Thank you buddy. And my wife says the same thing. Except she turns "I could listen to you play all day long" into "Do I have to listen to you play all day long", and she adds a question mark onto the end (???). Mind you, she does have to listen to all the out-takes, that fortunately, you guys dont have to listen too!!
    Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    I don't know what the chain is for those videos, but I find the tone fabulous. The more I am exposed to the Campellone sound and build quality, the more impressed I am.
    Wengr,
    Thank you very much!
    The chain is getting more and more complicated.
    1st, The Guitar - Campellone Standard
    2nd, Effects/Digital Interface - Boss GT-001 using a very simple effect chain. Amp Fender Twin, Pre Amp Fender Twin (both with flat EQ), No compression and Only Reverb.
    3rd, Computer - Toshiba Qosmio, with Core i7 and 20 gigs of RAM (was my sons old Gaming Computer)
    4rd Software - Corel VideoStudio Pro, with Multi Cam Capture (up to 4 cameras)
    Cameras - 3 Logitech C920's. My wife just bought me a C930e, which will take the place of the middle camera. It has a wider field of view, so I can move it closer and it will be sharper and need less light as a result.
    I hope that helps.
    JD

Just lovely, along with beautiful tone and pretty playing! Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!

User Info Menu

nice post, JD - been so busy here lately I haven't had time to check in on the forum, so thanks to VK for forwarding me the link to your post - anyway, happy to hear you're so pleased with the Standard - and congrats to Big Mike on his 73rd!

User Info Menu

Happy birthday, Big Mike!

User Info Menu

Joe,
    it’s all been said already so I won’t add to the profusion of delight this post has instigated
    We both know that Vinny’s
    recommendations are to be taken seriously. All Kudos to him, and Big Mike’s Birthday and generosity.
    This forum is the best ,
    members genuinely pleased for others and their acquisitions and good fortune.
    Let’s hope the bad times are behind you and you can look forward to many years of entertaining others with your excellent videos.
    We have a unique group of special friends , long may it continue.

User Info Menu

A second thank you and a rousing Hey Man to all of you.

Big

Campellone Standard-b1d2d345-7b0a-4145-ae71-a6064a7c9345-jpgCampellone Standard-49ffc4c4-8103-4a78-a141-3da0d426a9b5-jpgCampellone Standard-f999799e-ad2a-4c49-90b6-09516899988d-jpgCampellone Standard-99a2e57e-c299-411b-9f27-f70ce8c1bec4-jpgCampellone Standard-a9a2c8dd-2ab2-45c6-bd31-6fb99dea4469-jpg

User Info Menu

Joe, I have been away from the forum for a while. I just want to say WOW what a great guitar! In your hands she sounds like a million dollars, but then again so do the guitars in all your videos. Seeing and hearing you play this model masterpiece makes me happy, VERY happy! I can't add much to what has already been said except more videos please

Congratulations! Sounds like a perfect match to me

User Info Menu

Dougie my man!
    Thanks for doing us proud, and thank you very much for coming on and giving your buddy a little love.
    A million dollars? Nice. We’ve come a long way. Waaayy back when our parents weren’t even in their parents plans yet, Gibson ran an ad that said, “not even a thousand dollars can build a guitar with better sound”.. can you imagine?
    Always great seeing you Dougie. And thank you for always being a gentleman.
    Joe D
    Attached Images Attached Images Campellone Standard-97fb5e36-1585-4bc2-abf7-fd447aebc413-jpg 

User Info Menu

Nice story guys! Beautiful guitar and nice playing. Happy Happy!