The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 78

User Info Menu

Thank you very much.

Here are some more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images Campellone Standard-96474678-4bc3-45fe-911e-5a78f72e75b4-jpg 
    Last edited by Max405; 11-26-2019 at 10:01 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    nice post, JD - been so busy here lately I haven't had time to check in on the forum, so thanks to VK for forwarding me the link to your post - anyway, happy to hear you're so pleased with the Standard - and congrats to Big Mike on his 73rd!
    Hi Mark, I'm sorry I missed this.
    I appreciate you coming on. The guitar is very Special. In fact they should all be called "Special". You might want to re-arrange your naming conventions to "Special", "Special +", "Special Deluxe" and "Every once in a while I make one of these because its ridiculously special, Special"!
    Kidding aside, I sincerely hope you are doing this for at least a couple more years, because I will be reaching out to you (and Matt Cushman) for some help at some point in the next 2 years.. I am sold on your guitars and I think it would be wise for me to get my own before you decide to give those unbelievably talented hands of yours a break..
    Thank you, Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe,
    it’s all been said already so I won’t add to the profusion of delight this post has instigated. We both know that Vinny’s recommendations are to be taken seriously. All Kudos to him, and Big Mike’s Birthday and generosity.
    This forum is the best, members genuinely pleased for others and their acquisitions and good fortune.
    Let’s hope the bad times are behind you and you can look forward to many years of entertaining others with your excellent videos.
    We have a unique group of special friends , long may it continue.
    Foxman, I am sorry I missed your post brother.
    I look forward to making music. My videos allow me to do what I was really cut out to do, that is entertain people. Once its in you, You need to find a way to satisfy it and this is what its come down to for me. It makes me happier than than it makes anyone else.
    Thank for always being there buddy. JD
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    Just lovely, along with beautiful tone and pretty playing! Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!
    Thank You Midnight Blues. The guitar is really incredible. I am glad I got to experience it. It is nice to actually see how someone can take a design and not really alter it that much and make it the way it was made during its hay day. Mark has done just that. He managed to capture the essence of what made the L5 the Master Guitar. People still love beautiful looking, playing and sounding guitars. Mark has isolated a magic in the L5 that was prevalent during a time when it wasnt so important to amplify a guitar. And he builds that into his guitars. I can hear it and feel it. And I really enjoy it. And it sounds really good amplified too!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

You guys this sort of thing is exactly what makes this forum a unique little oasis of goodness in the parched desert of the internet. I feel privileged to witness this whole event and conversation.

User Info Menu

Thank you Lawson.
    Like I always say, the pleasure is all mine. I am luckier I have you guys than you guys are to have me.
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe D, where would you describe it, between a lightly built guitar with a good acoustic voice - or a more solid build guitar intended to be always plugged in and somewhat feedback resistant?
    When I read that they are heavily influenced by the L-5, I assume the latter, but I would appreciate your input.

User Info Menu

It’s a light guitar, that is very solidly built. It excels both acoustically and plugged in. I know, impossible right?
    The one I have is a 5.9 lb guitar. So it’s pretty light. But here is the twist. The top is not thin. It’s actually perfect.
    The guitar sustains well. It feels light, but it also feels like it is built efficiently and well braced so it will last a long time. It is a lively acoustic guitar that is extremely solid. Like Marvin Hagler in his prime. The workmanship on this guitar is extraordinary. No detail was overlooked. Even the unbound f holes are finished off with a nice bevel and they are smoothly polished.
    When Mike got this guitar, I commented that it looks like a guitar that you will play, play and then play some more. Well, that’s EXACTLY what is happening now that I have it. I play it CONSTANTLY. For hours at a time. Both acoustically and amplified. Vinny told me these guitars take action really well. He wasn’t kidding.
    The only downside so far is the pickup, being a full sized Humbucker, is very close to strings, and it’s right where I pick. So you hear my pick tapping against the pickup a lot. Also, notes played high up on the neck have less sustain because the string is too close to the magnets. That’s not Marks fault or Mikeys fault. The pickup was changed out at some point. The stock pickup is a Kent Armstrong mini HB, so with the stock pickup on the guitar, there would be no issue. Dare I say, it could be even better..
    Trust me guys. This guitar is all it was cracked up to be. A top flight, pro level guitar that would excel equally as well on the bandstand or the living room. I am very fortunate to be able to play this guitar. For how and what I play, I can’t imagine anything better suited to me.
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    Joe D, where would you describe it, between a lightly built guitar with a good acoustic voice - or a more solid build guitar intended to be always plugged in and somewhat feedback resistant?
    When I read that they are heavily influenced by the L-5, I assume the latter, but I would appreciate your input.

User Info Menu

Is it a floating pickup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Is it a floating pickup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    t

a one off Pete Biltoft custom made
    id have sent Joe the stock pickguard but my cleaning lady occasionally “reorganizes’ the office from time to time. I’m gonna start running missing gear ads on milk cartons for this stuff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    a one off Pete Biltoft custom made
    id have sent Joe the stock pickguard but my cleaning lady occasionally “reorganizes’ the office from time to time. I’m gonna start running missing gear ads on milk cartons for this stuff
    And it’s a full size Floater, That sounds great.
    I was looking at pics of the stock mini Humbucker On other Standards and now I’m not so sure I’d pick up a whole lotta space under the strings. in any event, I’m happy as a pig in a mud pile.
    Thanks Mikey.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    It’s a light guitar, that is very solidly built. It excels both acoustically and plugged in. I know, impossible right?
    The one I have is a 5.9 lb guitar. So it’s pretty light. But here is the twist. The top is not thin. It’s actually perfect.
    The guitar sustains well. It feels light, but it also feels like it is built efficiently and well braced so it will last a long time. It is a lively acoustic guitar that is extremely solid. Like Marvin Hagler in his prime. The workmanship on this guitar is extraordinary. No detail was overlooked. Even the unbound f holes are finished off with a nice bevel and they are smoothly polished.
    When Mike got this guitar, I commented that it looks like a guitar that you will play, play and then play some more. Well, that’s EXACTLY what is happening now that I have it. I play it CONSTANTLY. For hours at a time. Both acoustically and amplified. Vinny told me these guitars take action really well. He wasn’t kidding.
    The only downside so far is the pickup, being a full sized Humbucker, is very close to strings, and it’s right where I pick. So you hear my pick tapping against the pickup a lot. Also, notes played high up on the neck have less sustain because the string is too close to the magnets. That’s not Marks fault or Mikeys fault. The pickup was changed out at some point. The stock pickup is a Kent Armstrong mini HB, so with the stock pickup on the guitar, there would be no issue. Dare I say, it could be even better..
    Trust me guys. This guitar is all it was cracked up to be. A top flight, pro level guitar that would excel equally as well on the bandstand or the living room. I am very fortunate to be able to play this guitar. For how and what I play, I can’t imagine anything better suited to me.
    Joe D
    Thank You Joe for the very helpful detailed reply. I have played only one Campellone, over 15 years ago at Mandolin Bros. I thought it had quite a Gibson vibe visually(minus any flaws), but I found the tone to be more in the modern camp (Benedetto,etc.).
    Now I am only familiar with modern L-5s, so I'm no expert but I was impressed with that guitar.
    Anyway you guys are really tempting me call Mark.

User Info Menu

Joe, your playing is restorative. I just got out of the Hospital after 7 days. I had bacterial pneumonia which is not 100% cured yet.

I listened over and over to your latest videos. I'm taking 2 different antibiotics but their effect paled compared to the restorative effect of your beautiful playing.

Thanks.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    And it’s a full size Floater, That sounds great.
    I was looking at pics of the stock mini Humbucker On other Standards and now I’m not so sure I’d pick up a whole lotta space under the strings. in any event, I’m happy as a pig in a mud pile.
    Thanks Mikey.

So, aside from trying to reduce the height of the p/u, what would the solution be ? And next time, do you have the builder make the neck joint ' taller' so the gap from top to strings is larger ? Or does this lead to other problems ?
    That had always been one of my issues with Heritage archtops with floaters - some I'd seen were so close the strings were basically touching the p/u. If the builders know it's an acoustic and a floater will be installed, why not build that joint taller ?

TIA

User Info Menu

... I have played only one Campellone, over 15 years ago at Mandolin Bros. I thought it had quite a Gibson vibe visually(minus any flaws), but I found the tone to be more in the modern camp (Benedetto,etc.). Now I am only familiar with modern L-5s, so I'm no expert but I was impressed with that guitar. Anyway you guys are really tempting me call Mark.
    Mark responds to his customer's needs, and builds his archtop guitars on a continuum from "very acoustic" to "very electric." If you want him to build you a guitar with lots of acoustic responsiveness, just ask for it. I play a 16" and a 17" Campellone and both of them are wonderful, VERY acoustic archtop guitars.
    Attached Images Attached Images Campellone Standard-campellone2310803-front_3965-jpg Campellone Standard-campellone_1981-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-29-2019 at 02:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    So, aside from trying to reduce the height of the p/u, what would the solution be ? And next time, do you have the builder make the neck joint ' taller' so the gap from top to strings is larger ? Or does this lead to other problems ?
    That had always been one of my issues with Heritage archtops with floaters - some I'd seen were so close the strings were basically touching the p/u. If the builders know it's an acoustic and a floater will be installed, why not build that joint taller ?

TIA
    Trust me Mr.Campellone knows what he is doing. That is not the original pu or pickguard.

User Info Menu

Campellone Standard-403f593e-eaf6-4ea5-bdf1-2ddc78ad8b27-jpgCampellone Standard-53f1d67e-a68e-4a27-9942-eeb79761a1ce-jpgCampellone Standard-0802cbd1-fd6f-4497-a9a1-ea746a38d7c5-jpgCampellone Standard-50ae0f5b-7b37-4377-8860-480bf8288692-jpgCampellone Standard-b4d198d1-2c64-40af-9293-4293bb77155d-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    TIA
    There's no reason why the neck joint cannot be " 'taller' so the gap from top to strings is larger." To accomplish this without changing the neck angle, the bridge needs to be taller as well. A hinged tailpiece adusts itself to accommodate this, and the effect on a non-hinged tailpiece is marginal. The additional amount of space required for useful clearance between the strings and the upper surface of a floating pickup is quite small.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-29-2019 at 01:43 PM.

User Info Menu

I ordered mine with a extra thick top as I like a more electric sound.
    Steve L (QAman) summed it up best. Mine sounds like a very good 1960’s L5. Even with the built in pu mine is a acoustic cannon unlike my modern L5’s. Plugged in it really shines with a very refined but woody tone. More clarity than a modern L5 without being overly bright.

I am hoping someday Joe gets one with a built in humbucker also. It is like a Wesmo on steroids. Trust me I am the L5’s biggest fan. It takes something really special to get me to veer away from Gibson.
    Steve L talked me into pulling the trigger. Glad I took his advise.
    Wish I did it 10 years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    Joe, your playing is restorative. I just got out of the Hospital after 7 days. I had bacterial pneumonia which is not 100% cured yet.
    I listened over and over to your latest videos. I'm taking 2 different antibiotics but their effect paled compared to the restorative effect of your beautiful playing.
    Thanks.
    Tony D.
    Tony, Wow! I hope you are all the way better. 7 days in the hospital. Oh my God. Stay strong Tony.
    Yeah listening to my playing is like getting a good solid nights sleep! I’m glad it worked for you bro.
    Hang in there and let me know how you are doing..
    PS, just had lunch at Carmines, that’s why it took me so long to respond.
    JD

Thank You Joe for the very helpful detailed reply. I have played only one Campellone, over 15 years ago at Mandolin Bros. I thought it had quite a Gibson vibe visually(minus any flaws), but I found the tone to be more in the modern camp (Benedetto,etc.).
    Now I am only familiar with modern L-5s, so I'm no expert but I was impressed with that guitar.
    Anyway you guys are really tempting me to call Mark.
    If you can swing it, and you got all the other things you need, this would be a great present for yourself.
    In the hopefully not so distant future, perhaps Mark will be building ours together. That would be cool!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I ordered mine with a extra thick top as I like a more electric sound.
    Steve L (QAman) summed it up best. Mine sounds like a very good 1960’s L5. Even with the built in pu mine is a acoustic cannon unlike my modern L5’s. Plugged in it really shines with a very refined but woody tone. More clarity than a modern L5 without being overly bright.
    I am hoping someday Joe gets one with a built in humbucker also. It is like a Wesmo on steroids. Trust me I am the L5’s biggest fan. It takes something really special to get me to veer away from Gibson.
    Steve L talked me into pulling the trigger. Glad I took his advise.
    Wish I did it 10 years ago.
    You and Steve combined are all anyone could ever need to be steered in the right direction. 2 extremely sensible and knowledgeable guys.
    I am committed on a beautiful L5 right now, or else I’d be getting one made along side the vaunted V1K signature model.
    I think I would get one built exactly the way Skykomishone got his. In any event, I think this Standard is all the guitar I’d ever need. And my abilities don’t even scratch the surface of this guitars capabilities.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony

so sorry to hear tony D...get better soon....it's holiday time! all the best

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    so sorry to hear tony D...get better soon....it's holiday time! all the best

cheers
    Yes Tony may the good Lord bless you with your health. You are a valued member here.
    I will add you to my prayer list.

User Info Menu

Yes Tony - -all the best, get better soon and don't let it get you down !

Dennis

User Info Menu

Tony

Prayers for a speedy and total recovery bro

Big

User Info Menu

Tony,
    Sorry to hear of your illness. Your in my prayers and I hope you recover quickly.