The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

These amps are getting a lot of positive feedback and reviews are great.
    Just wondered if anyone uses one?

I have just ordered one

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've owned a lot of amps over the years and the Jazz 12 is my all time favorite. It is light weight, simple, quiet, reliable, sounds fantastic, and even looks good! I'm
    sure you'll like yours.

User Info Menu

This vote comes from far away. Had a long conversation today with one of Finland's all-time guitar greats. A man of over 1,200 studio recordings, owner of a Dumble amp and a sound purist with golden ears, he now tours with Class D solid state amps and lightweight cabs (I have a finger in that pie.) He refers to "tube amp Talebans" and wonders why so many guitarists are so conservative, even backward-looking. I make my on cabs and mainly use a DV Mark Micro 50 head, which is by and large the same amp as in Jazz 12. Perfect for straight-ahead jazz. You made a good choice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    This vote comes from far away. Had a long conversation today with one of Finland's all-time guitar greats. A man of over 1,200 studio recordings, owner of a Dumble amp and a sound purist with golden ears, he now tours with Class D solid state amps and lightweight cabs (I have a finger in that pie.) He refers to "tube amp Talebans" and wonders why so many guitarists are so conservative, even backward-looking. I make my on cabs and mainly use a DV Mark Micro 50 head, which is by and large the same amp as in Jazz 12. Perfect for straight-ahead jazz. You made a good choice.
    Hi GB , what amp and cabs does he use now ?

User Info Menu

OP, apologies for derailing the thread! Pingu, thanks for asking! I've been collaborating with Peter Lerche for two years now. During that time, he has used a pair of TOOB 10T telescopics and Quilter 101Rs, I believe exclusively, for his hugely popular concerts with singer-actor Vesa-Matti Loiri and a small band which he leads and makes the arrangements for. Earlier this week, Peter took delivery of a pair of brand-new TOOB METRO 6.5GP (Guitar Ported) cabs loaded with Jensen P6V AlNiCo speakers. You may like to hear that those will be powered with TC Electronic BAM200s, which Peter considers just fantastic. He tried mine and was sold at once. He will tour with the cabs (3.6 lbs each) and amps in a hard-shell cabin bag and the effects board in stowaway luggage.

These "Baby TOOBs" are so new there's nothing on them on our website (TOOB) yet. However, their evolution (along with the rest of our news flow) is documented on our FB pages: facebook.com/toobspeakercabinet. Bilingual, occasionally multi-. Development started last winter with requests from NY guitar and bass pros for something truly public transit friendly. Prototypes have been in regular use there since May. Three versions will be offered: 6.5GP (also available with Eminence Alphalite 6A for more wattage and money), 6.5BG (Bass&Guitar, SICA 6 L 1.5 SL 130W) and 6.5FR (full range for any amplified instruments plus modeling amp/IR monitoring; SICA 6 D 1.5 SL 130W). The BAM is a perfect companion for anything tried so far: keyboard in jazz piano mode, violin, harmonica, acoustic guitars, bass guitar... Deliveries to start in December, barring further delays for reasons beyond our control. Pre-production 6.5 Alphalite samples available. E-mail: toobspeakers@gmail.com
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 11-24-2019 at 04:13 AM.

User Info Menu

I love the sound of my El Rey through my Benedetto Carino. I leave the tweeter switched on. I am considering a second amp, and the DV has my attention. As for the tube/ss debate, I believe us older folks prefer the ss because it tends to reveal details in the highs that our ears are no longer as sensitive to. I have a gorgeous EL34 tube head that was custom made for a semi famous rock guitarist. It sounds incredible through a 2x12 with alnico speakers. However, it sounds best with my Strat, perhaps because to me, it is biased towards the higher frequencies that I want to hear. To a younger person, it may not sound warm, but to this aging former 70s rocker/punker, it sounds great. Just not with my jazz guitar or humbuckers in general. Then again, the guitarist it was built for plays a Rick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krusty
    .... I believe us older folks prefer the ss because it tends to reveal details in the highs that our ears are no longer as sensitive to.....To a younger person, it may not sound warm, but to this aging former 70s rocker/punker, it sounds great....
    I think you might be onto something there Krusty. I was recently thinking about this around some of those discussions about Quilter being too bright. I'm sure 20 years on stage and 20 in wood shops is affecting how I hear mine.

I do find a difference between my 2 SS amps. And a difference again with my Mesa. Maybe this is a matter of degree. To younger ears they sound even more different. I need to find some younger ears to hang with...

User Info Menu

Interesting theory about solid state and age. If you look at the frequency ranges of typical guitar speakers, there's a sharp drop after 4-5kHz. How discernible are the harmonics to anybody? The guitar's fundamental notes reach about 1,2 kHz, so the question is, does age affect one's ability to hear 3rd harmonics and beyond - and so what? I for instance am past 70 and hear very little above 6 kHz - but how much I'm missing or whether that's actually a benefit, is inside my head and pointless for others to debate. To wit, an outdoor opera performance a few years ago was marred by a peculiar external source of noise: swifts. The louder and higher the fat lady sang (max. 3 kHz), the noisier the swifts got. I was so much less annoyed than my wife, who's always suffered from the piercing high notes from a trumpet or violin, which I still hear well and mostly enjoy. Solid state, especially Class D, amps have been criticized for their treble end. The same for Neo speakers. Maybe they just are too good.

User Info Menu

Hi GB,
    thanks for the info about Peter Lerche and his rig ....
    (are you saying that he runs one or two Jensen P6v's off a BAM200 !
    I would be worried about the power mismatch .....)

I've been using my BAM200 with various speakers
    for a couple of months
    and am well pleased with it ....

I'm gonna have a look at your Facebook site at
    your Toob metro 6.5 GP with Alphalite 6A

It looks like a really good light/loud solution to me
    Last edited by pingu; 11-25-2019 at 09:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Pingu, we did talk of the risk. The other speaker option (very good for jazz IMHO) is Eminence Alphalite 6A, which is rated for 100W max. It would have been a safer choice of course. But Peter is a tone perfectionist unwilling to compromise, plus has 40+ years of touring experience. I'll keep a couple of spare speakers in readiness just in case.

User Info Menu

Side note... Until Nov 27th... 25% at Guitar Center... using discount code shred25.

Little Jazz reg. price $400... sale price $300.
    Jazz 12 reg. price $ 500... sale price $375.

I've only played the Jazz 12 at a store for a bit and thought it had a great tone.

User Info Menu

Pingu, we did talk of the risk. The other speaker option (very good for jazz IMHO) is Eminence Alphalite 6A, which is rated for 100W max. It would have been a safer choice of course. But Peter is a tone perfectionist unwilling to compromise, plus has 40+ years of touring experience. I'll keep a couple of spare speakers in readiness just in case.
    thanks GB
    I PM'd you ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitrman
    I've owned a lot of amps over the years and the Jazz 12 is my all time favorite. It is light weight, simple, quiet, reliable, sounds fantastic, and even looks good! I'm
    sure you'll like yours.
    Thank you for your encouraging words. Yes, I am looking forward to receiving it.

User Info Menu

Had a young buck could play Robert Johnson type blues really well for having such a young inexperienced life.He had the long skinny fingers and a youthful better than thou attitude.Not excessive hes a good kid.so he was watching me use a tuner and his dad and him look at each other smile and his proud dad said to me 'my son tunes it by ear.He does nt need a tuner.'I simply said 'At my age i dont trust my ears just making sure my tools are in the best possible shape to do the best possible job that I'M getting paid to do.He has some picking techniques i would to have him show me sometime'the atmosphere lightened and i treasured the maturity i showed and enjoyed the evening even more. Crap speaking of old sorry bout the disrail.Hope the amp is great for you.

User Info Menu

Hi all,

My new DV MARK Jazz 12 arrived yesterday from Thomann, Germany (£378). What can I say! First impressions: what a well constructed, good quality amp it is and yes, very quiet at quiescent signal conditions with just a cable plugged into the input.
    The weight is amazing! you can easily pick it up with one finger! The size is perfect and stores easily with it good quality padded snug-fit cover.
    I plugged in my Prestige NYC Jazz archtop, set the bass, mid and treble tone controls to mid position, adjusted the reverb to about a quarter turn and I was rewarded with a beautiful warm clean jazz tone! Many other very nice tones can be had also and the controls are smooth quality pots.
    For Jazz, I wouldn't have the reverb just past a quarter, any higher some delay kicks in and full up you'll be a rock-a-billy player before you know it. Personally, I think DV MARK should have just kept this as reverb, to me it's very 'plate' sounding but nice.
    I plugged my JVC in ear headphones (you have to turn the speaker off) and a very nice almost compressed clean tone was had, lovely!
    All in all, what a fantastic clean amp! This amp has got to be the new jazz standard amp surely?
    I can not recommend this amp enough and the price is amazingly affordable to the family guy!?
    I am very happy with this amp!?
    Attached Images Attached Images DV MARK JAZZ 12 Amplifier-91279-tmpe0c1-jpg DV MARK JAZZ 12 Amplifier-91282-tmp47a-jpg DV MARK JAZZ 12 Amplifier-91283-tmp10ca-jpg 
    Last edited by sicourtjon; 01-01-2022 at 04:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Congrats! If I didn't make my own cabs, I'd probably use one of those. Too many potential/lost clients do. Just one caveat: If you use an extension cab, don't plug it in when the amp is on. The 1/4" plug causes a momentary short when inserted, and I've seen a DV Mark go in blue smoke of that.

User Info Menu

That's why I use Speakon connectors. I also turn off the power, but using 1/4" phone plugs for speaker connections is just another example of living in the past, for no good reason.

User Info Menu

Congrats! If I didn't make my own cabs, I'd probably use one of those. Too many potential/lost clients do. Just one caveat: If you use an extension cab, don't plug it in when the amp is on. The 1/4" plug causes a momentary short when inserted, and I've seen a DV Mark go in blue smoke of that.
    Thanks for the advice!
    I doubt I will be using an extension cab. I've always powered off before connecting speakers.

User Info Menu

After reading many reviews I decided to try a DV Mark amp. Looking for a very clean amp for Jazz and Blues. Could not decide between The Little Jazz and the Mark 12 so I purchased both. Very impressed with both amps. After several weeks of trail, it was a difficult decision, I decided on keeping the DV Mark 12. It had a little more depth and fuller tone I thought. This is by far the best amp I have ever had for true clean tone. It has a 3-EQ with bass, mid and high adjustments. You can dial any type clean tone you like. The Reverb is nice too. Amp sounds great for practice at lower volume levels and is just as clean at higher value levels for gigs. It will not break up at higher volume. It sounds good with all my guitars, Ibanez AG75, Gretsch, Tele, Strat and LP.

My search for the clean jazz tone amp is over. This one is a keeper!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sicourtjon
    These amps are getting a lot of positive feedback and reviews are great.
    Just wondered if anyone uses one?

I have just ordered one
    I have one and I like it. How do you like yours?

User Info Menu

I keep a Jazz 12 on stage at the club in which I play twice a week, and I have a Little Jazz at home that I use for practice and gigs. I love both!

The 12 is in our backline among a Vibrolux, a CS PRRI, a Blues Deluxe, a Peavey Bandit, and a highly modded Blues Junior. The club hosts touring acts on Fridays and Saturdays, so over 100 guitarists use our stuff every year (when Covid stats allow it, of course). As far as I can tell from the control settings, no one but me and one harmonica player has used it. The club owner (who’s been at every show and does the sound) confirms this. Go figure.

User Info Menu

You show up at a club to play, see the amps available, and go with what you know. Using gear you never heard, or heard of, at a paying gig when there are few gigs available, is not something many people want to do. They go for the familiar every time, even if it's inferior.