Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I've been searching for a while to find how to make full sized gibson classic 57 into floating mini-hum' depth like the one on that Peter's zeidler .
    but I couldn't find any clues on the internet
    anyone has heard something about it ?

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by philipark View Post
    I've been searching for a while to find how to make full sized gibson classic 57 into floating mini-hum' depth like the one on that Peter's zeidler .
    but I couldn't find any clues on the internet
    anyone has heard something about it ?
    I thought it was a pickup from a Howard Roberts, bicbw.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Woody is correct about Pete's pickup. As for converting a Gibson Classic 57 into a floater, I have done that. Since the forum was re-done a few weeks back, the search facility doesn't seem to work very well and I cannot find the thread that I posted about this maybe five years ago. It was called something like "re-new guitar day."


    Basically, I cut the legs off of the pickup, filed the cover down to be flush with the base plate and attached a bracket to mount to the pick up on the end of the fingerboard like a Johnny Smith style pickup. It worked great if a little crude in my workmanship; if you can find the old thread, it has pictures. I did damage one of the coils when drilling into the cover, sent it to Kent Armstrong who fixed it and balanced the coils. I have since switched to using a Pete Biltoft HCC pickup on that guitar and the Classic 57 is now sitting in a parts box. If you're interested, I'm happy to sell it to you. PM me. I can measure the minimum space you need, it is a pretty tall pickup.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    Woody is correct about Pete's pickup. As for converting a Gibson Classic 57 into a floater, I have done that. Since the forum was re-done a few weeks back, the search facility doesn't seem to work very well and I cannot find the thread that I posted about this maybe five years ago. It was called something like "re-new guitar day."
    I did a quick simple search on Classic 57, and retrieved this:

    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/sear...archid=1389442

    What's odd is that at the bottom it says "1-12 of 26." But then there's no way to advance to the next 14.

  6. #5
    well I googled it and it seems pretty cool, looks like it'll fit any guitar with floating hum
    but the point is how the howard roberts floating hum was made and why there's no similar p.us in the market ??

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by philipark View Post
    well I googled it and it seems pretty cool, looks like it'll fit any guitar with floating hum
    but the point is how the howard roberts floating hum was made and why there's no similar p.us in the market ??
    I've always been temped to try Shadow's Attila Zoller floater.


    Are you looking for full width AND full depth?

    Boris Dommenget Guitarmaker handmade Guitars and Pickups
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 11-22-2019 at 10:43 AM.

  8. #7
    I kept googling it and found dommenget jazzbucker few minutes ago
    this look awesome and sounds awesome
    I think I gotta place an order for that one for my gb10

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Depending on the space you have between the top and the fretboard (regardless of the height of the fret) it is perfectly possible to do it as Cunamara says, much cheaper than the dommenget pickup (sorry dommenget). The most complicated part is attach the bracket, but nowadays, I used simply double-sided tape to attach it, it's a very solid union.

    anyone knows how to make gibson classic 57 to floating p.u ?-20191122_201951-jpg


    anyone knows how to make gibson classic 57 to floating p.u ?-20191122_202136-jpg

    anyone knows how to make gibson classic 57 to floating p.u ?-sin-título-png

  10. #9
    looks good but is it really ok to cut off those screws ??

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by philipark View Post
    looks good but is it really ok to cut off those screws ??
    You mean if it sounds the same as without cutting them?
    That is impossible to know, there are too many variables, what I can say is that it sounds like humbucker.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by carlones View Post
    You mean if it sounds the same as without cutting them?
    That is impossible to know, there are too many variables, what I can say is that it sounds like humbucker.
    I think the height of the coils is more important than the length of the screws to get that sound, IMHO

  13. #12
    I thought we couldn't cut off those pole piece screws out of the base plate
    now I've start wondering how it's gonna sound like when it's with gb10

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    I did damage one of the coils when drilling into the cover, sent it to Kent Armstrong who fixed it and balanced the coils.
    What does that mean, balance the coils?

    Quote Originally Posted by philipark View Post
    I kept googling it and found dommenget jazzbucker few minutes ago
    this look awesome and sounds awesome
    I think I gotta place an order for that one for my gb10
    There's a recent thread on the Dommenget Jazzbucker .... Domenget Jazzbucker Full-size Floater anyone?


    Quote Originally Posted by philipark View Post
    looks good but is it really ok to cut off those screws ??
    I once asked Kent Armstrong about shortening the screws of a 12 pole floater:

    Question: the B string was quite loud in the higher register. In order to even out the balance with the other strings i raised the other polepeaces as the one on the B was almost touching the top of the guitar. Would it be okay to shorten the pole piece so that i can screw it down a little more? If i would want to raise it again later would there be any difference in sound because it’s shorter?

    Answer: Is it a 12 pole if so take out one of the “B” poles and try it. Yes you can shorten them ..



    _________
    JazzNote

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote View Post
    What does that mean, balance the coils?
    Matching the DC resistance of the two coils.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Where are you located, philipark? I remember reading somewhere that Ali Claudi from Düsseldorf, Germany did attach a full size humbucker of a fellow guitarists vintage L5 with silicone – stable and reversable. Let me know if you are interested, I held contact with Ali since writing a feature for Akustik Gitarre about him.