The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 66

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    In audio, dynamic range is the difference between the signal's peak highest level and its average level, in dB.
    sorry Paul ... thats not the case

from Wiki

"Audio engineers use dynamic range to describe the ratio of the amplitude of the loudest possible undistorted signal to the noise floor"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

regarding tone master models, what’s will gonna happen if some components burn?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopdream63
    hello guys
    Just would like to know what’s your preferences about most dynamic jazz amplifiers. 1) Small portable combo, 2) solid state, 3) tubes..
    three preference each.

I am going to assume that what you mean is musical dynamics rather than technical dynamics. In my case, my most musically dynamic amp is also a tube amp, my 5E3. It is easy to feel very expressive while playing through that amp. I have other amps that sound great and are fun to play through, such as my Polytone Baby Taurus, but there is something about the 5E3 circuit that is very fun.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 11-24-2019 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I am going to assume that what you mean is musical dynamics rather than technical dynamics. In my case, my most musically dynamic amp is also a tube amp, my 5E3. It is easy to feel very expressive while playing through that app. I have other amps that sound great and are fun to play through, such as my Polytone Baby Taurus, but there is something about the 5E3 circuit that is very fun.
    is your baby taurus 8” enough dynamic?
    Last edited by archtopdream63; 11-22-2019 at 03:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    For me, the answer is any good, simple, non master volume tube amp. The simpler the better, meaning preferably one channel, no effects loop, etc.
    That would be my answer as well.

anyway about “tone masters”model I will wait some more player reviews.
    My fear is if something goes breaking with its components, you’ll throw it like a modern digital dishwasher.. lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the caveat being that even a 50's twin can still be fixed and restored to perfect working condition!...these new ss fenders are meant to be disposable merch...ss state fenders are nothing new..they had'em decades ago..with all the same- sounds just like tube!- proclamations...tho you don't see any around these days!!!

like ss standels (that wes used) and thomas organ vox amps..which were great sounding amps, while they lasted

even everyones beloved polytones (which were simple in compare to these new ss amps) are becoming more difficult to have repaired
    Having the required digital processing capabilities at a consumer price point is new and when you talk about something like the Strymon Iridium, kind of startling in how much processing power is available in that small box. The world has changed and will continue to do so. As has my willingness to deal with heavy amps (like my 65lb Fender Concert) any longer.

As for durability, that depends on manufacturing. Strymon pedals, for instance, have a stellar reputation for durability. We'll see how the Fender Twin Tone Master does. And you can repair modern electronics. Just a matter of what fails and how much a replacement runs. Still, once these go for 15% off, they'll be 1/2 the price of a 65 Reissue Twin (which also has circuit boards). And yes, you can get a point to point wired twin and replace parts. But the cost of doing so can be steep and special skills are required which may, or may not, be available. If I were really concerned I would just buy two Tone Masters for the price of the tube Twin.
    Last edited by Spook410; 11-22-2019 at 05:50 PM.

User Info Menu

It's not that modern digital equipment can't be repaired. It can be. The issue is the time required to do it, and thus the salary that has to be paid to the person doing the repairs. With the cost of components being so low, it's therefore cheaper to buy new than to pay for the time required for repairs. Just as it's cheaper to buy a new bottom-of-the-line inkjet printer than to buy replacement ink cartridges. And cheaper to buy two Tonemasters than one Twin with obsolete components. And tubes are unquestionably obsolete. But guitarists are so bound by tradition that they have great difficulty accepting anything new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    ... And tubes are unquestionably obsolete...
    Obsolete in terms of what?

User Info Menu

In terms of everything. They're inefficient, expensive, unreliable, and their production harms the planet. Tube amps sound no better than solid state, except in the minds of their devotees, and it is, IMO, entirely in their minds. It's long past time to let them die in peace. But fanatics being fanatics, tubes live on.

User Info Menu

In terms of everything. They're inefficient, expensive, unreliable, and their production harms the planet. Tube amps sound no better than solid state, except in the minds of their devotees, and it is, IMO, entirely in their minds. It's long past time to let them die in peace. But fanatics being fanatics, tubes live on.

Yea.. but.. I'm an old guy, I like my old stuff, and I'm not getting rid of my tube gear. Just leaving it at home.

User Info Menu

Don't think I've ever met a single musician that shares this opinion in 30+ years of gigging.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Don't think I've ever met a single musician that shares this opinion in 30+ years of gigging.
    Yeah, thems fighting words. And as if semi conductor production (and disposal) grows daisies?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopdream63
    regarding tone master models, what’s will gonna happen if some components burn?
    You grab a bag of marshmallows, quick!!

User Info Menu

Ever consider the possibility that tube amps sound better than solid state, except in your mind, and it is entirely in your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    sorry Paul ... thats not the case

from Wiki

"Audio engineers use dynamic range to describe the ratio of the amplitude of the loudest possible undistorted signal to the noise floor"
    In the music recording industry it's peak over average.

User Info Menu

delete. It's already been said. Go tube amps!

User Info Menu

It could be only in my mind, and I admit that I'm a legend in my mind. But I refuse to live in the past, tilting at the windmills of the march of time, to mix metaphors. I gave up my slide rule long ago, because there are better options now. Same with tubes. I actually own a Fender tube amp, but it just sits. Periodically I pull it out to see if somehow it magically sounds better today, and it never does. It's getting too heavy to even pull out of the closet. I bought it back before high quality solid state amps were readily available, at least that I knew of, and I got it used for a very attractive price at the time. Today, I would not even consider buying any tube amp. But I have no quarrel with those who do, I just laugh.

User Info Menu

I have a couple of tube amps and I no longer use them.

I A/B'ed my ancient Reverberocket with my new Little Jazz (I explained the procedure in an earlier post) and I didn't think they sounded all that different. EQ variations made a lot more difference than which amp I was playing through.

Obviously, the LJ is a lot easier to move, but I now use it even in my own rehearsal room while the Ampeg sits in the closet.

That said, almost every time I've heard a player with tone that made me want to buy the same gear, it was a tube amp. Wes, Jim Hall, Santana, Knopfler, Burrell. Early Metheny was an exception. I once had a guitarist come out of the audience and offer to buy my entire rig. I was using a Boogie Mark III - not known as a jazz amp, but fully capable of it.

User Info Menu

It's not that modern digital equipment can't be repaired. It can be. The issue is the time required to do it, and thus the salary that has to be paid to the person doing the repairs. With the cost of components being so low, it's therefore cheaper to buy new than to pay for the time required for repairs. Just as it's cheaper to buy a new bottom-of-the-line inkjet printer than to buy replacement ink cartridges. And cheaper to buy two Tonemasters than one Twin with obsolete components. And tubes are unquestionably obsolete. But guitarists are so bound by tradition that they have great difficulty accepting anything new.
    Exactly, so how does one worry that the manufacture of tube amps "harms the planet", while at the same time promoting products that will likely be replaced upon failure? Somehow placing digital junk in the dump and/or the recycling stream and ordering yet another to be manufactured and shipped half way around the world is better for the planet?

User Info Menu

There is no magic solution. Everything is a compromise. But solid state components will be built whether or not they're used for guitar amps. Amps use off-the-shelf components. But tubes are still manufactured only for specific applications, and the Russian and Chinese plants produce tons of pollutants in their manufacture. Integrated circuits aren't going away, and their use continues to grow. Tubes could be replaced easily and rather painlessly. I just cannot find a reasonable excuse for continuing to use them.

User Info Menu

I just cannot find a reasonable excuse for continuing to use them.
    Aside from subjective personal preference issues, I have five tube amps at present. I am certain that each one with minor care and service will last the remainder of my lifetime, and probably that of the next owner.
    Also, I believe I can sell each and every one of them for more than I paid for it.
    How are these points unreasonable?
    Last edited by wengr; 11-23-2019 at 04:34 PM.

User Info Menu

I have 2 tube amps among my 6 amps, a Fender and a Mesa. They rarely go on gigs as they are not as light and reliable as my other 4 amps. But they have a sound that I like and I have a sentimental fondness for them. So they stay. And I have a supply of American made tubes to keep them working as long as I am around. Any harm to the environment in their production has already happened. And I doubt that either of my 2 tube amps will ever need to be recycled as E-waste.

this conversation is going off topic!
    Lol.
    Anyway.. regarding the dynamic range, an old walter woods head with 12” could satisfy a jazz guitarist ?
    how about fender jazz king?
    polytone mighty brute?
    Zt lunchbox ?
    Ibanez wholetone ?

User Info Menu

If you have tube amps already, by all means keep them. I have one, acquired lo those many years ago. But buying a new tube amp makes little sense to me. The only reason for doing so, that I can think of, is "By god Kenny Burrell recorded with a tube amp 60 years ago, therefore my religion requires that I continue to use one for eternity!" This seems to lead to the belief that there will only be tube amps in heaven. Or hell, depending on one's perspective.

Almost any amp could satisfy at least some jazz guitarists. It is entirely dependent on taste, and everyone's taste is different. Indeed individual tastes can change over time, and mine has, and continues to do so.