The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 66

User Info Menu

Hello guys,

I would like to know what’s your preferences about most dynamic jazz amplifiers:

1. Small portable combo
    2. Solid state
    3. Tubes

Three preferences for each type.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Before this gets too noisy, define “dynamic”.

User Info Menu

big tubes, big speakers...nothing else sounds like it

it breathes as much as you do while playin

you can play thru all the lightweight ss amps with 8" speakers you like..and sound good..and get used to it..but play thru a prime fender twin..with 4 big bottle 6L6 tubes thru two nice quality 12" alnico speakers...and its a different experience

the caveat being- luggin it around is a different experience too!!! hah

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Before this gets too noisy, define “dynamic”.
    Wide Dynamic Range

User Info Menu

I'd put my Acoustic Image Corus III up against most anything else. Twenty-two pounds, 300 watts, effects loop, Aleisis reverb, 8" forward firing speaker, 10" downfiring woofer, defeatable tweeter, adjustable shelving, other goodies. Clean, clean, clean. Also world's best warranty.
    Were I forty years younger, I would say Twin Reverb, or Mesa Boogie series IV. That train left the station long, long ago.

That being said, I've played a lot of jazz (and a certain amount of jive) with my Deluxe Reverb Reissue with good results, failing to deliver the goods only once, on an outdoor gig lacking proper PA support.

And I'm still kicking myself over letting my Silverface Princeton Reverb slip away....

User Info Menu

I recently heard a particularly fine archtop played by a good player through a Twin and it sounded awesome.

Then, the band came in. The archtop still sounded good, but not as striking in the context of a full band.

For my own playing the last thing I want is feedback. That's why I don't play an archtop.
    I want more sustain -- archtops aren't designed for that.

With my pedalboard, I can get close to my sound from a lot of different amps.

So, now, not so young, I think about weight - a lot.

Mostly, I use a 15lb Little Jazz. I play a JC55 (26lbs or so) when I need more volume. If I need more volume than that, there has to be a PA. I don't want to play louder than a JC55 can go.

If I had a Twin, it would sit at home and I'm not sure I'd bother to use it.

As far as dynamic response ... if I understand what that is ... I never think about it. I do recall that a Twin with JBLs I had decades a go seemed to have a very sharp attack. I recall thinking that I preferred the amp with the Eminence speakers it had when I first bought it. The attack was softer. But, since then, I can't recall using an amp which bothered me in that way.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 11-20-2019 at 11:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopdream63
    Wide Dynamic Range
    The definition of Dynamic Range is the ratio of maximum undistorted signal to the noise floor (or the difference between them in dB). I doubt that’s really what you mean by “dynamic” amplifier. I don’t mean to sound condescending, but there must be a better way to describe what you’re looking for.

My favorite amp is my 1974 Fender Twin Reverb. The reasons are tone and the amazing amount of muscle. Even played at relatively low volumes (with the MV rolled back) it feels good. Unfortunately, it’s in a corner waiting for me to find time fix a component. But I’m not sure how often I’d drag it anywhere.
    Last edited by KirkP; 11-20-2019 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    The definition of Dynamic Range is the ratio of maximum undistorted signal to the noise floor (or the difference between them in dB). I doubt that’s really what you mean by “dynamic” amplifier. I don’t mean to sound condescending, but there must be a better way to describe what you’re looking for.

My favorite amp is my 1974 Fender Twin Reverb. Unfortunately, it’s in a corner waiting for me to find time fix a component. But I’m not sure how often I’d drag it anywhere.

hi
    I mean the dynamic response, an amp that gives you back dynamically what your finger do...not linear, not hi-fi...

User Info Menu

Playing my Barker with a floating dearmond 1100 through my friends Fender Twin from the early 70’s is an assume sound. Nothing quite like it but at any volume it feeds back faster than speed if light.

I would never drag that amp around. It weighs a ton and is only something for the house.

User Info Menu

I had a older Fender Twin Reverb for many years. Really a great amp and capable of a wide range of sounds. I just got tired of moving it. I am using a VHT 12/20 12” hand wired combo now. I got a good deal on it and it is practically new. I could drive it with 6L6s instead of 6V6s, but it gets hot with the 6L6s and I am a living room player now. It definitely benefitted from a speaker change. I went with a Weber hemp alnico. I don’t know how to respond about the question of dynamics, but I have noticed that the VHT lets my guitars sound like themselves. I have some guitars with varitone switches and the VHT picks up every nuance of those settings. Same with other tone circuits. I sold a Fender Pro Jr. that didn’t pick up those types of variations much at all.

User Info Menu

hi
    I mean the dynamic response, an amp that gives you back dynamically what your finger do...not linear, not hi-fi...
    do you mean
    A when you play loud , it goes loud
    OR
    B when you play loud it gets thick and bluesy ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    do you mean
    A when you play loud , it goes loud
    OR
    B when you play loud it gets thick and bluesy ....
    Yeah. At first I was following you (OP) but it seems you think dynamic range means the opposite of what it actually meanzz bro

I would listen to Kirk here he knows what he is saying.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I find all six of my currently owned amps are quite "dynamic" in that they sound different in different rooms and with different guitars.

Just like guitars, women and a host of other things in life, one size fits all does not apply.

User Info Menu

In audio, dynamic range is the difference between the signal's peak highest level and its average level, in dB. This assumes a clean signal. With a musical instrument tube amp, if the signal's peak level exceeds the highest clean level the amp can produce, the tone eases into a warm slightly glassy and somewhat compressed sound with a little more sustain, then an over driven sound, then a rather distorted sound... not everyone seeks the most dynamic range; many guitarists like the warm slightly glassy sound for its natural compression, to smooth out chord playing or beautify the tone of soloing. A lot of amps historically and today provide this tone due to their design.

Big Fender tube amps' power specifications in watts are indicating when the distortion reaches 5%, which is still extremely clean (among the cleanest of all musical instrument amplifiers). Many of us who perform with Twins use various means to warm their tone. I use the lower level input No. 2, a lower gain preamp tube for first two gain stages (tube V2), and use the 1 10 1 tone setting (max midrange, minimum treble and bass). Makes my old Strat sound like an L-5.

User Info Menu

For me, the answer is any good, simple, non master volume tube amp. The simpler the better, meaning preferably one channel, no effects loop, etc.

User Info Menu

Twins are nice. There's a bit of romance there. Still. Too heavy. Too expensive. Not very applicable in the real world of stairs and stages. And not so sure they are, for me, still the amp that's best when applying the vague metric of 'dynamic' even when we're being picky about it.

Seems advances in tech have finally matched them and is quickly overtaking them. Some believe they are matched in the form of the new Fender Tonemaster's. Haven't played one yet but lots of trusted sources around here are happy with them. Still.. I think that is taking a narrow view of what tech is capable of. IMHO, next gen emulation with an FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) speaker is going to be the best gear ever available for jazz guitar. Yes.. we've done emulation and so far it appears it's not quite 100% there when side by side in the same room with a great amp. But it's just a matter of time. Thinking my next rig will look like a Strymon Iridium -> RCF NX 12-SMA.

User Info Menu

Easily my old workhorse '67 Twin w/ brown and gold Jensens.
    Use it on 99% of my gigs, hell I even use my '66 w/ the same speakers @ home!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    big tubes, big speakers...nothing else sounds like it

it breathes as much as you do while playin

you can play thru all the lightweight ss amps with 8" speakers you like..and sound good..and get used to it..but play thru a prime fender twin..with 4 big bottle 6L6 tubes thru two nice quality 12" alnico speakers...and its a different experience

the caveat being- luggin it around is a different experience too!!! hah

cheers
    funny, I always hated how it felt to play through those behemoths.

User Info Menu

I have a Princeton Reverb Reissue and a Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb side by side, and I love them both. They are responsive and really seem to move with the music somehow, even the TMTR. In fact, it's surprising how alive and responsive the Tone Master is. I can see why people who have the originals have been willing to drag those heavy beasts to gigs. Their tone and feel is totally worth it. Fortunately now, 33 pounds will get you there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    funny, I always hated how it felt to play through those behemoths.
    yeah, but you play guitars with weird holes cut into the top too!!!

haha

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Twins are nice. There's a bit of romance there. Still. Too heavy. Too expensive. Not very applicable in the real world of stairs and stages. And not so sure they are, for me, still the amp that's best when applying the vague metric of 'dynamic' even when we're being picky about it.

Seems advances in tech have finally matched them and is quickly overtaking them. Some believe they are matched in the form of the new Fender Tonemaster's. Haven't played one yet but lots of trusted sources around here are happy with them. Still.. I think that is taking a narrow view of what tech is capable of. IMHO, next gen emulation with an FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) speaker is going to be the best gear ever available for jazz guitar. Yes.. we've done emulation and so far it appears it's not quite 100% there when side by side in the same room with a great amp. But it's just a matter of time. Thinking my next rig will look like a Strymon Iridium -> RCF NX 12-SMA.
    I’m curious to compare both twin version...
    I’m a bit reluctant to try digital stuff, but, If TM sound the same, I will throw my heavy twin!

User Info Menu

I’m curious to compare both twin version...
    I’m a bit reluctant to try digital stuff, but, If TM sound the same, I will throw my heavy twin!
    the caveat being that even a 50's twin can still be fixed and restored to perfect working condition!...these new ss fenders are meant to be disposable merch...ss state fenders are nothing new..they had'em decades ago..with all the same- sounds just like tube!- proclamations...tho you don't see any around these days!!!

like ss standels (that wes used) and thomas organ vox amps..which were great sounding amps, while they lasted

even everyones beloved polytones (which were simple in compare to these new ss amps) are becoming more difficult to have repaired

cheers

User Info Menu

I had a Redplate that was like a cannon attached to your picking hand.

User Info Menu

huge dynamic?

- Komet 60 used in clean territory. ( not exacly a jazz amp BTW).
    - All the properly built Dumble stuff ( original or not , but with a correct set up)
    - Custom audio Electronics od100. (clean channel)
    - Old Marshalls.
    - Trainwreck style stuff.

Aside from the Dumble, not a single one of the above mentioned is properly voiced to sound as a "traditional jazz amp".
    But in terms of dynamic, these are top notch