User Info Menu

Usually I gig with either a DV Mark Little Jazz or a Quilter Aviator Twin Ten.
    The DV Mark is voiced fairly flat, designed for an uncoloured sort of tone. The Quilter is "kind of" voiced like a Fender.

Last night I decided to bring out my old Peavey Bandit 65. It was an open jazz jam session - I'm in the backing band for it.
    I ran my Junior Barnyard preamp in front of it to get a bit of that octal-tube character for 40s/50s sound. I do this with my other amps too. It adds some compression and attenuates the top end in a very subtle but flattering way. You can sound bright, but it's no longer harsh if that makes sense.

Anyway, I had one of the best tones I've had for a while using that old Peavey. It was a warm, fat, punchy sound. The DV Mark can sound a little bland at times, and the Quilter has a slight "honk" to the mid range which at times I get tired of. The Peavey had this lush round sounding midrange, but minus that honk. Oh- and the spring reverb is so good. I forgot how great a nice spring reverb sounds. Both the Quilter and DV Mark have digital reverbs, it's just not the same.

Tonight I'm gigging with a big band, for the electric guitar parts I'm going to use the Peavey with the Jr Barnyard Preamp. Usually I'd use the Quilter, but I really want to hear how the Peavey sounds.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've had friends with the Bandit 65s and they all sounded great. In fact, all the Peavy amps in my listening and playing experience have been very good. And they are built to last. My own early-production Classic 50 has required exactly one fuse replacement (and one trip to the amp vet to rectify the glitch) in its long history. Gigged with it for years and years, finally giving it to my Grandson after getting my DRRI. It is still going strong.*

*Of course I take very good care of my amps. Always use a cover to ameliorate thermal shock. Always use a handcart. Transport in a heated vehicle. I use scads of foam rubber and blankets to minimize jostling. Never drop or slam an amp. Etc. Gently, gently!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

I had one in the past, with a scorpion speaker - excellent amp. It there's a nuclear apocalipse, all that will be left will be cockroaches and bandit 65s, they are indestructable.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984 View Post
    I had one in the past, with a scorpion speaker - excellent amp. It there's a nuclear apocalipse, all that will be left will be cockroaches and bandit 65s, they are indestructable.
    Yours must be the same as mine - I've got the Scorpion speaker too.
    I've pulled mine apart once to replace the filter caps and was really impressed by how nicely put together it was.

User Info Menu

For other geeks out there, Hartley Peavey wrote an interesting white paper on the TransTube circuits.
    https://peavey.com/support/technotes/hartley/Chapter_3.pdf

That is a really interesting article. I actually prefer Peaveys that are pre-transtube; I found I didn't' like the later amps as much as the older ones. I mainly play clean...The distortion on the old amps isn't great, I think the transtube amps are better in that regard.

The Bandit was great at my big band gig. I use an acoustic archtop for most of the rhythm parts, but we did a few charts that were a bit more contemporary (a couple Buddy Rich arrangements) which called for an electric sound. It sounded beautiful - big round sounding mid-range, nice tight sounding low end and smooth highs. I had the Junior Barnyard preamp on too, so that adds a bit of compression, but doesn't drastically change the actual tone of the amp.

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed reading all this, and feel like I've learned a lot - thanks to all.