Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Here’s part 2, the live test with the same musicians, same song, same room. (Different days). White shirt is the “Luna” by Raezers Edge versus blue shirt playing the “Clarus SLR” by Acoustic Image versus the Quilter “Toneblock 202” In black shirt.
    Last edited by Mark Kleinhaut; 11-19-2019 at 06:12 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Under those conditions, I don't think I could reliably tell the difference between any of them. They all sound like Mark Kleinhaut to me.

User Info Menu

Great trio work, Mark!! Very cool!

[the tune was so long, the bass player grew more hair!]

They all sounded good to me -- thanks for doing these comparisons! Was there one that "felt" better to you at the gigs?

Marc

User Info Menu

1: Luna
    2 but very very close to 1: Clarus
    3 and a fairly distant 3rd: Quilter

I wasn't expecting that, as the Clarus was definitely my least favorite in the "studio/solo" video.

User Info Menu

Luna, Clarus, Quilter.

Funny, different than the other demo. I like the clarity of the Quilter, but too much upper mid-range honk. Perhaps adjusting its eq would change that.

User Info Menu

Thinking of the dynamics of a live performance - what you hear, feel and see on the spot - the choice between same-league amp alternatives probably matters less than the ride or crash the drummer has chosen to use. I would have enjoyed every take - hair-rising or not - equally and immensely.

User Info Menu

Update: the quilter has been sent back. I didn’t like it on the gig as much as the others and I don’t need another living room amp.

User Info Menu

After several more gigs the Raezers Edge Luna has become my favorite. The mid eq (tunable) has a magic spot!

User Info Menu

I was afraid you might say that. I suppose it might also sound good through my RE cabinet. Darn you, you GAS facilitator!

User Info Menu

Coming late to the party ... I liked the Clarus more than the other two. It seemed to me to have more of a midrange guitar-amp sound to me. The others had a a brighter, more hi-fi sound (which is not to my taste generally). This is somewhat contrary to my expectations, given that AI is usually thought of as a more acoustic-oriented amp. Cool tunes. And say hi to Joe Barna.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    Coming late to the party ... I liked the Clarus more than the other two. It seemed to me to have more of a midrange guitar-amp sound to me. The others had a a brighter, more hi-fi sound (which is not to my taste generally). This is somewhat contrary to my expectations, given that AI is usually thought of as a more acoustic-oriented amp. Cool tunes. And say hi to Joe Barna.

John
    . After this initial round of comparisons I started playing more with the eq and I found a setting in the RE Luna midrange, which has adjustable frequency center point, where a slight boost thickens the upper mids in a very pleasing way. A little more Clarus like but also maintaining the very clear top end.