The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 114 of 114

User Info Menu

I haven't seen many but if you are looking for the neck joint you can see it in Otto D'Ambrosio's patent. See below:

USD560708S1 - Guitar neck block
    - Google Patents

There is also a stack of them in a Youtube factory video. See below at the 1:29 mark.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    I haven't seen many but if you are looking for the neck joint you can see it in Otto D'Ambrosio's patent. See below:

USD560708S1 - Guitar neck block
    - Google Patents

There is also a stack of them in a Youtube factory video. See below at the 1:29 mark.

thanks. do you know if the rims are carved or plywood and if carved, are they glued to the back or is the entire back/rims carved from a single piece like the PRS hollowbody?

User Info Menu

Since the ER-4 is the only model one can readily take pics of the innards, I assume you mean the ER4 or possibly the control / pup cavities of another one?

One of the users on the Eastman owner's site had a pic of the inside bracing on the ER-4 after a discussion on whether the ER-4 was X or parallel braced.

Eastman wrote me and categorically stated it was "X" braced which made a bridge pup problematical but an owner on the Eastman site posted a pic of the innards of his clearly showing parallel bracing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    thanks. do you know if the rims are carved or plywood and if carved, are they glued to the back or is the entire back/rims carved from a single piece like the PRS hollowbody?
    In the clip you can see the assembled sides without a back attached.

User Info Menu

Jack, I can only speak to my two ElRey 4 guitars. They are solid back and sides assembled like a usual acoustic or electric guitar i.e. kerfing used to fix the top and backs to the sides. The top is carved. The bracing on my latest Elrey 4 is a parallel braced with the lower bout ends of the braces showing a slight flare outboard. I didn't check the bracing on my earlier ElRey but I assume it is similar.

I had a floating pickup on this guitar i.e. it was a custom model assembled, finish and painted by Otto D'Ambrosio in Eastman's CA shop. After struggling with 3 versions of the Krivo pickup I bit the bullet and routed the top for a set in pickup. I should have gone this route from the beginning. With this guitar, due to very limited space at the end of the fretboard the Krivo was the only option. Jason of Krivo's pickup builds a fine pickup and is very responsive to his customers, for me it just didn't work with this guitar.

User Info Menu

thanks guys, i was referring to the ER-1 and ER-2

User Info Menu

Jack, In the attached video in my first post. The picture shows the construction i.e. not from one piece of wood. The video is from 2011. The 4 model was not mfg'd until 2013 or so. I own a 2014 Namm ElRey4 unit. I suspect all Elrey's are mfg'd the same with regard to back and sides. Although given the thickness of the top and size of the ER-1/2/3, I don't imagine it has any bracing but I don't know if it (1/2) has a block under the bridge like the ER-3.

I remember you at one time owned both the 1 and the 2.

User Info Menu

i couldn't tell from the brief shot in that video due to small size. Eastman used to have pictures on their site but I cannot find them with a google search.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

thanks, too small to make out details though. i.e. are the rims plywood? Guessing yes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    The description says the bodies are "solid mahogany" and since they are separate back and rims it would be reasonable to assume that the sides are solid timber rather than "plywood".
    Decades of perusing guitar-poop have led me to conclude that for many guitar-poop writers, 'solid wood' means "not liquid wood."

For what it's worth, the area around the jack in my ER4 is reinforced, which tends to reflect solid mahogany sides.

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    Interesting that the top carve seems to show that the centre section is left uncarved to act as a single, very solid, brace. The top thickness seen in the pickup rout is very substantial. This may only be on one model though.
    That's how my former ER1 was. My ER4 has normal, parallel, glued-in bracing:

Opinions - Eastman El Rey-0329181956a-jpg

User Info Menu

Hello Everybody,

I'm Sébastien from Germany (Schwarzwald) and new in the forum. I allready apreciated and enjoyed the publications for some time but just did my forum registration yet.

I'm really interested in a Eastman El Rey-ER1. I'm relatively new in the jazz playing (a little bit more than a year) and play on a Yamaha SA2200 (I love the playability and the neck) and a Ibanez PM35 (don't care/travel guitar which is not so fun to play).

How would you describe the playability of the El Rey 1, the neck feeling, and the sound ?

I'm looking for a modern woody Jazzy sound. Am I in the right way?

I Would love to afford a Sadowsky SS-15 or a Bambino Deluxe but it's not in my financial scale...

Thank you for your answers.

Séb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I've wanted to try one since the day they were announced. There have been lots of conflicting reports of the actual specs but it looks like a great basic design.
    I can agree this. the Spec is meant to be 54mm at the 12th fret. I have a used ER2 and there it is correct.

I try to buy a new ER4 - which is a fantastic soundig (and looking) guitar (like the mahagnoy body and neck which gives it a deeper and mellower tone than maple does) - but I get it with 51,2mm and one other with 51,7mm at the 12th fret (thats the level of a Stratocaster!). This means both e-strings are very near beside the edges of the neck - not a good playability. My ER2 with 54mm plays like a dream.
    So I send them back and look for one which is inside the specs.
    Thats really annoying and shows that the quality control doesn't work properly. But if you get a good one: its fantastic!

And what some people mentioned is sadly troe: the finish with nitro ist good looking - but magnetic for scratches and dongs. Very, very sensitive...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sébastien
    Hello Everybody,

I'm Sébastien from Germany (Schwarzwald) and new in the forum. I allready apreciated and enjoyed the publications for some time but just did my forum registration yet.

I'm really interested in a Eastman El Rey-ER1. I'm relatively new in the jazz playing (a little bit more than a year) and play on a Yamaha SA2200 (I love the playability and the neck) and a Ibanez PM35 (don't care/travel guitar which is not so fun to play).

How would you describe the playability of the El Rey 1, the neck feeling, and the sound ?

I'm looking for a modern woody Jazzy sound. Am I in the right way?

I Would love to afford a Sadowsky SS-15 or a Bambino Deluxe but it's not in my financial scale...

Thank you for your answers.

Séb
    The guitars you mentioned have a different scale-length, so be aware of that. The ER1 has 25" and not 24,75" like SS-15 and PM35. Also the nut-width is different - so playability ist definitely not the same!

The PM35 ist a quite good guitar, but ER1 is really another step ahead. Its solid wood and a completly different sound!
    Personally, I love the playability of the ERs (I own a ER2 and ER4), but I dislike the nutwidth of 43mm and smaller and i prefer wider necks (ERs have 44mm) . So its a question of taste...

Quality and Sound of El Reys are outstanding!

But: If your looking for another outstandig guitar which is much more versataille then any Eastman: check out the Eastman Romeo! Fantastic! And there you have a 24,75" Scale length...