Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

So, I grabbed one of the last ones on Amazon. Paid $169 shipped.

I have to admit, the reviews were spot on. I've never been so impressed with a $169 guitar. It was playable right out of the box with the stock strings. I can't believe they are able to sell guitars this cheaply today.

It has a decent acoustic tone and sounds great plugged in. It's nicely appointed. The tuners work. The wood grain shows through the finish. To be fair, it has a few finish blemishes, but I cannot complain given the cost of the instrument.

I ordered some light gauge flats and a wooden bridge for it.

I see that they are currently sold out on Amazon but if you can get your hands on one, I highly recommend it.

I'm just keeping mine at the office to have something at work to jam on during lunch. I couldn't be happier. It's certainly no professional instrument, but it's exactly what I was looking for, especially considering the price.
    Attached Images Attached Images Grote "Jazz Guitar" - P90 thinline-img_7961-jpg Grote "Jazz Guitar" - P90 thinline-img_7962-jpg Grote "Jazz Guitar" - P90 thinline-img_7963-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks pretty cool to me. A non-cut single P-90 guitar is totally my bag.

Life is good if your type of job allows for a guitar to be hanging around. I always have a guitar or 2 in my classroom, just in case I get a spare moment (or a student wants to jam at lunch) and I'd say we definitely live in the "golden age of inexpensive instruments."
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Looks pretty cool to me. A non-cut single P-90 guitar is totally my bag.

Life is good if your type of job allows for a guitar to be hanging around. I always have a guitar or 2 in my classroom, just in case I get a spare moment (or a student wants to jam at lunch) and I'd say we definitely live in the "golden age of inexpensive instruments."
    Right on!! Really liked your Joyo American Sound vid btw.

User Info Menu

Nice. How’s the P90? I would expect it to be hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Another benefit of this sort of guitar is that you aren't afraid to mess it up when you need to learn a new skill. I do my own set up's, replace pickups, cut new nuts, and level frets. Would like to learn to make bridges next since I can never find what I want on the market. Cool looking guitar. Enjoy, make music, and don't hesitate to tailor it to your needs.
    Hell is full of musical amateurs - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by blille View Post
    Nice. How’s the P90? I would expect it to be hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, it certainly can be. But at lower volume levels it performs quite nicely.

User Info Menu

Cool! I actually saw some postings on Facebook about these, but I couldn’t find a seller overhere (Europa). Only on Amazon USA but that’s not very lucrative with import taxes and transport and all.

They look like Epiphone knock-offs or at least inspired. Maybe from the same factory even? But these have the 24.75” scale I believe (which I prefer).
    Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group | Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! | Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva La Voix

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    Cool! I actually saw some postings on Facebook about these, but I couldn’t find a seller overhere (Europa). Only on Amazon USA but that’s not very lucrative with import taxes and transport and all.

They look like Epiphone knock-offs or at least inspired. Maybe from the same factory even? But these have the 24.75” scale I believe (which I prefer).
    They sell via eBay as well and direct IIRC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille View Post
    They sell via eBay as well and direct IIRC
    I don’t find anything when search for ‘grote guitars’.....
    Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group | Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! | Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva La Voix

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    I don’t find anything when search for ‘grote guitars’.....
    https://ebay.com/usr/grote-guitar (had it saved )

and Grote Guitar

User Info Menu

I have been eyeballing these to go along with the new reissue Harmony tube amp I have on the way for a cheap living room guitar...another thing to go on the Christmas list!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tfling View Post
    I have been eyeballing these to go along with the new reissue Harmony tube amp I have on the way for a cheap living room guitar...another thing to go on the Christmas list!
    Please do a NAD post when you get the amp, I’m very curious.

User Info Menu

Rather nice looking guitar. I dig the Retro/Deco vibe. Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    Best regards, k