The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 62

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I am very curious about how these look inside..... if it’s not too much trouble, could any owner put a cellphone inside thru the f-hold and try making some pics? Thanks!
    Over at the Squier forum somebody some time ago posted a very nice photograph of the inside. I won't post a picture from another site. However the picture does show what appears to me to be a very clean build and it shows that it has, as somebody else said, just a single wood block support under the bridge or center section, so no bracing as I would call it.

In regards to this guitar, I think somebody said he or she replaced the bridge with a wooden one. Could somebody post a link or name the bridge, please?

Also could somebody measure the guitar for me? My main playing area is very small and I usually play a smaller-bodied guitar. I have some full-size hollow bodied guitars that cost more than this but I am always afraid of using them as I may damage it by banging into an amp or other obstacle.

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Found the picture you mentioned, I don’t think it’s against any rules to post it here as well:

The block under the bridge looks exactly like that in my Chinese ES-330 kit, but I am surprised to see the Grote is even constructed with kerfed liners to glue the top and bottom to the sides! Usually the low budget MIC guitars leave those out. That makes this guitar all the more interesting........!

User Info Menu

On AliExpress you can buy rosewood archtop bridges for as little as $5 and they work just fine. I bought several of those. Nothing wrong with it!

User Info Menu

Little Jay,

Well I think it may be my rule as I've read that generally these are proprietary items and you shouldn't repost them without the consent of the original poster and/or the administrators of the forum in which the pictures or articles first appeared.

And it could be argued that the Squier forum is a competing forum to this one. Members there have jazz guitars and they play jazz ... just as I'm certain there are people here who play non-jazz guitars and non-jazz songs.

In the same respect I would not just cut and paste articles and photos first published here in this forum and then provide them to other forums ... unless, as I said, I received some form of tacit approval.

But I'm glad you found the picture I was referring to.

User Info Menu

How the heck do you produce a guitar for $169, and make a profit?

User Info Menu

One other thing: Quite a few of the reviews I've read or seen complain that the P90 pickup is really too far down into the body. I know that the "sweet spot" for P90s in general is much, much closer to the strings. However I do know in general the "jazz" settings for pickups are lower than the standard for rock, pop and related music.

For you owners, have you found that you have had to insert some form of spacer to raise the pickup or if it is OK as it is? I've been looking at some spacer devices such as Fralin P90 pickup shims or similar products at MojoTone as I think they would be better than puttiing in some kind of sponge material or a felt washer.

User Info Menu

Ralph, I don't own one so no on-hand experience, but the guy in this video did put a spacer/shim under the P90:

(too bad he doesn't seem to do any jazz playing, so the video does not really show if the shim helps with the sound.

But with a package of different sized spacers (Lolar and Fralin sell them online) it's easy enough to experiment, no need to desolder anything, perhaps slacking the strings is not even necesary. I do find the distance to the strings pretty critical for the tone with P90 pickups and rising or lowering the whole pickup is very different from adjusting only the pole pieces (I use those only to balance the string volumes, usually lowering the B-string pole piece if you use flatwounds with a wound 3rd).

Now I need another guitar like a need a hole in my tooth, but this thing really gives me G.A.S...... the prospect of fine tuning and modding it to make it sound even better is soooo tempting :-D
    (and before you know you'll spend more on mods than you did spend on the guitar, hahaha)

User Info Menu

Btw, what wood is the neck made out of? Mahogany?

User Info Menu

Some measurements and a quick, non-EQd demo of what the guitar sounds like in my hands. I've used it on a couple of covid-era recording collaborations to accompany a singer and the end result was just fine. I bought the guitar used for something like $150 and have no complaints. Fretwork is fine, it plays easily, etc. etc. You're hearing the sound of 6 month old Chrome 12s, I think,

Grote "Jazz Guitar" - P90 thinline-img_20201030_123437-jpgGrote "Jazz Guitar" - P90 thinline-img_20201030_123445-jpgGrote "Jazz Guitar" - P90 thinline-img_20201030_123523-jpg

User Info Menu

Oh wow, it looks great in natural as well!

User Info Menu

Does anyone know of any locking tuners that are a direct drop in for the GROTE jazz box?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nakim55
    Does anyone know of any locking tuners that are a direct drop in for the GROTE jazz box?
    What’s the diameter of the pegholes?

User Info Menu

10mm, post length 1 inch and a 16th, pin screw at an angle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nakim55
    10mm, post length 1 inch and a 16th, pin screw at an angle.
    Gotoh SG381-07 MG-T Locking 3L/3R C – Thomann Nederland

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I can only read English, I bought these and the pins were to short to fit through the headstock
    Amazon.com

User Info Menu

These fit (see review), but they are not locking.
    Amazon.com

User Info Menu

Those pages have the option to switch to Enlish!

But I did not expect that: too short? Never saw that before, is the Grote
    peghead so thick?

User Info Menu

Gotoh SG381-07 MG-T Locking 3L/3R C – Thomann UK

Shaft length 20mm, so that’s about 4/5 of an inch… would be too short then?

User Info Menu

Yeah, i saw you could switch to English, sorry about that. The peg holes are 10mm, it’s the length of the peg you have to LOOK at. I bought the Gotoh SG381 locking tuners and they were to short. My guitar tech said “too short,” won’t fit, but I have some that will fit, don’t know the brand or remember what they came off of. I said go ahead and put them on. They look like the cheaper guitar works model you posted (kind of like Wilkersons, but with no name brand on them), they are HORRIBLE! They are so stiff you can barely turn them, then when they do turn you get 1/2 turn of slack before they catch. Can hardly get them to dial in precisely to pitch. Man, I have been looking,lol! I’ll probably just get the Gotoh non-locking “large” Schaller style machines, it seems they are a direct drop in.

User Info Menu

Headstock is 5/8 of an inch thick.

User Info Menu

only fault with mine was a dead 8th fret on top E string..just raised the bridge up 2 turns...Voila...perfect...might do the tuners one day...a guitar to keep...ty for video...and 11`s strings...

User Info Menu

Well more than three years after my last post about this guitar I went ahead and ordered the sunburst version and opened it this morning as a Christmas gift to myself. So far I'm happy with it.

Referring to the depth of the P-90 I did a quick setup and found that the gap between the top of the P-90 slug and the bottom of my low E string is about .175 inch. From what I've read online the optimal distance should be about 1/16 inch or about .625 so my P-90 is nearly 1/8 of an inch too low. Most people seem to put in a shim but I've read a couple reviews where the owner kept the P-90s as received. One reviewer even said he put in a 1/16-inch shim and then took it out, saying he preferred the P-90 set the way it was.

So do I need to put in a shim if I just want a clean-sounding pickup and am not concerned about a possible loss in volume? And are there any substitutes for putting in a shim that will cost me $20 to $40 for essentially a piece of foam and fabric? I was thinking of just putting in a couple of felt washers to raise the pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph124C41
    Well more than three years after my last post about this guitar I went ahead and ordered the sunburst version and opened it this morning as a Christmas gift to myself. So far I'm happy with it.

Referring to the depth of the P-90 I did a quick setup and found that the gap between the top of the P-90 slug and the bottom of my low E string is about .175 inch. From what I've read online the optimal distance should be about 1/16 inch or about .625 so my P-90 is nearly 1/8 of an inch too low. Most people seem to put in a shim but I've read a couple reviews where the owner kept the P-90s as received. One reviewer even said he put in a 1/16-inch shim and then took it out, saying he preferred the P-90 set the way it was.

So do I need to put in a shim if I just want a clean-sounding pickup and am not concerned about a possible loss in volume? And are there any substitutes for putting in a shim that will cost me $20 to $40 for essentially a piece of foam and fabric? I was thinking of just putting in a couple of felt washers to raise the pickup.
    .0626 - sorry for my OCD!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph124C41

A shim can easily be made from wood or plastic (black pickguard, old dvd boxes for example) and will look just as good. Hell, even dense cardboard coloured black with a sharpie would work and look good!