The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 62

User Info Menu

So, I grabbed one of the last ones on Amazon. Paid $169 shipped.

I have to admit, the reviews were spot on. I've never been so impressed with a $169 guitar. It was playable right out of the box with the stock strings. I can't believe they are able to sell guitars this cheaply today.

It has a decent acoustic tone and sounds great plugged in. It's nicely appointed. The tuners work. The wood grain shows through the finish. To be fair, it has a few finish blemishes, but I cannot complain given the cost of the instrument.

I ordered some light gauge flats and a wooden bridge for it.

I see that they are currently sold out on Amazon but if you can get your hands on one, I highly recommend it.

I'm just keeping mine at the office to have something at work to jam on during lunch. I couldn't be happier. It's certainly no professional instrument, but it's exactly what I was looking for, especially considering the price.
    Attached Images Attached Images Grote "Jazz Guitar" - P90 thinline-img_7961-jpg Grote "Jazz Guitar" - P90 thinline-img_7962-jpg Grote "Jazz Guitar" - P90 thinline-img_7963-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks pretty cool to me. A non-cut single P-90 guitar is totally my bag.

Life is good if your type of job allows for a guitar to be hanging around. I always have a guitar or 2 in my classroom, just in case I get a spare moment (or a student wants to jam at lunch) and I'd say we definitely live in the "golden age of inexpensive instruments."

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Looks pretty cool to me. A non-cut single P-90 guitar is totally my bag.

Life is good if your type of job allows for a guitar to be hanging around. I always have a guitar or 2 in my classroom, just in case I get a spare moment (or a student wants to jam at lunch) and I'd say we definitely live in the "golden age of inexpensive instruments."
    Right on!! Really liked your Joyo American Sound vid btw.

User Info Menu

Nice. How’s the P90? I would expect it to be hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Another benefit of this sort of guitar is that you aren't afraid to mess it up when you need to learn a new skill. I do my own set up's, replace pickups, cut new nuts, and level frets. Would like to learn to make bridges next since I can never find what I want on the market. Cool looking guitar. Enjoy, make music, and don't hesitate to tailor it to your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Nice. How’s the P90? I would expect it to be hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, it certainly can be. But at lower volume levels it performs quite nicely.

User Info Menu

Cool! I actually saw some postings on Facebook about these, but I couldn’t find a seller overhere (Europa). Only on Amazon USA but that’s not very lucrative with import taxes and transport and all.

They look like Epiphone knock-offs or at least inspired. Maybe from the same factory even? But these have the 24.75” scale I believe (which I prefer).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Cool! I actually saw some postings on Facebook about these, but I couldn’t find a seller overhere (Europa). Only on Amazon USA but that’s not very lucrative with import taxes and transport and all.

They look like Epiphone knock-offs or at least inspired. Maybe from the same factory even? But these have the 24.75” scale I believe (which I prefer).
    They sell via eBay as well and direct IIRC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    They sell via eBay as well and direct IIRC
    I don’t find anything when search for ‘grote guitars’.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I don’t find anything when search for ‘grote guitars’.....
    https://ebay.com/usr/grote-guitar (had it saved )

and Grote Guitar

User Info Menu

I have been eyeballing these to go along with the new reissue Harmony tube amp I have on the way for a cheap living room guitar...another thing to go on the Christmas list!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tfling
    I have been eyeballing these to go along with the new reissue Harmony tube amp I have on the way for a cheap living room guitar...another thing to go on the Christmas list!
    Please do a NAD post when you get the amp, I’m very curious.

User Info Menu

Rather nice looking guitar. I dig the Retro/Deco vibe. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Picked up the natural p90 Grote just yesterday. This is my favorite jazz guitar! It has a unique shape that gets the neck into a comfortable position. My playing and confidence went up a notch instantly. It’s thin like a 335, and not bulky like a regular jazz box. What is the wood? Balsa? This critter is feather weight! My Strat weighs more.

I’ve been playing for decades, but I’ve always been uncomfortable with every guitar I’ve tried. This is the first body that works for me, and not against me.

Same comments regarding quality. Very surprising. Frets were very well dressed. Intonation is a chore, as you have to fiddle with the floating bridge until it settles in. Tuners could be better, but they are fine for now. Otherwise, I’m overlooking any blemishes. I removed the pickguard, so the f-holes have more projection.

I don’t know if the tone is good or bad. When you play with confidence because you’re comfortable with the guitar, it’s surprising how much it changes your perception of the sound. It could sound like a shoe-box with strings for all I know. But it sounds like a vintage 50’s jazz tone, kinda like Barney Kessel. I’ll eventually put flatwounds on it. It has 10-48.

Only problem is now all of my other jazz boxes look pale in comparison. I’ve tried almost every guitar on the market. Never expected a cheap clone to save the day.
    Last edited by goldpark; 02-03-2020 at 03:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Now I am getting excited!
    I have one of these Grotes (in natural) arriving this afternoon to check out

User Info Menu

I'm holding out for a Groot guitar.

John

User Info Menu

Grote "Jazz Guitar" - P90 thinline-499b87aa-8025-4ff7-ad24-271cc8717711-jpg

I got this Grote in December. I was mainly curious as to what you can get for $260. Surprisingly light weight. Tuners aren’t very good (you have to crank them a bit before the pitch changes). Seems to stay in tune for the most part once you going with it. After doing a basic set up myself the action is good, frets or ok (no sharp edges but aren’t very rounded) and intonation is close enough. Pickups are decent. They are fully adjustable and I am able to get a pretty balance sound across all strings.

I had an Eastman 335 type for a while but I think this is more practical for a beater guitar.
    Would love to hear more from any other Grote owners.

BTW; There is an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where the topic is “Grote” Syndrome

User Info Menu

I saw a vid about this guitar a few weeks ago on YouTube on 60 Cycle Hum's channel. He thought it was a neat guitar, especially when you consider its price.

User Info Menu

Can anyone tell me how the top is supported on the P90 Thinline? Parallel braces perhaps? A block under the bridge?

If anyone can take a cell phone pic thru the f-hole that would be great.....

Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

pretty sure the guy in the 60 cycle hum vids (that ellen posted ^) said it has a small block under bridge!..dont know abt the bracing

cool cheapo...tho if you read more reviews, the quality control is all over the place on them...gotta hope for a decent one!!..

i see they are presently available in natural and sunburst..red is apparently gone

cheers

User Info Menu

Grote through a Monoprice video needs to happen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Grote through a Monoprice video needs to happen
    thru an azor fuzz!

(the cheapest fuzz on amazon!!)

cheers

User Info Menu

I found one these Grote ES125T knock offs locally yesterday. Natural finish, not red. Sold as used for less than an evening out at a restaurant. (remember when we used to do that?)

Astounding value, IMO. Even at the full price of $199. Fretwork is very good, intonation is good, solid feel all around. I put Chrome 11s on today and it sounds just like you'd expect a laminate, P90 guitar to sound. Good neck profile, not unbearably thin like some cheap imports I've tried... though everything feels small now that I'm calibrated to the Nocaster.

Tuners work fine. I'll likely replace the TOM with a wooden saddle, but really it's completely serviceable now.

Aside: all social distancing guidelines were observed when making this purchase.
    Last edited by Michael Neverisky; 04-05-2020 at 06:23 AM.

User Info Menu

A nice thing I like the red ,
    red guitars are cool ...
    Shame they don't make a 125 non T one ....
    (You could buy one and put a CC on it)

still very nice as is ....
    i you're into that whole t thing

User Info Menu

I am very curious about how these look inside..... if it’s not too much trouble, could any owner put a cellphone inside thru the f-hold and try making some pics? Thanks!