The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Which should I get first, the TC Elcectronic Hall of Fame 2 or Flashback 2?

I want to get both but right now I can only afford to get one at a time.

Opinions needed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm also getting both, but looking for compact size so I'll go for the mini ones

User Info Menu

I have the mini HOF Reverb. I’m a total Reverb snob (I’ve had like 3 plates, studio springs, and still use the best UAD stuff), and I’m fairly happy with it.

They have a very nice artist Reverb preset called piano verb or something similar. Very nice for jazz.

fwiw, I would buy that and a cheap delay. Much easier to make a convincing delay pedal cheap.

User Info Menu

The HOF2 is excellent. I've never tried the other pedal so I can't comment. However, I think reverb is the most usable effect ever, so I would probably start with that one.

User Info Menu

Another vote for HOF2...

User Info Menu

Friends, I have a sidebar question regarding the HOF. I have the original HOF and I struggle to get a natural sounding reverb out of it. The trail/decay sounds digital and crappy to me. No matter which settings I choose, I can’t seem to groove with it at all.

Question: is the HOF2 completely a different animal? I’m ready to have a better sounding reverb. Is there a secret to getting this to sound good? Perhaps I have a bad one? Or did the original HOF just suck?

Any insights are appreciated.

Roli

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Friends, I have a sidebar question regarding the HOF. I have the original HOF and I struggle to get a natural sounding reverb out of it. The trail/decay sounds digital and crappy to me. No matter which settings I choose, I can’t seem to groove with it at all.

Question: is the HOF2 completely a different animal? I’m ready to have a better sounding reverb. Is there a secret to getting this to sound good? Perhaps I have a bad one? Or did the original HOF just suck?

Any insights are appreciated.

Roli
    All settings? Toneprints also crappy?

I like the HOF and the sound of most of the reverb types (wish it had shimmer, though) but at this point I don't have other pedals to compare it with.

The reverb algorithms are the same for the HOF and HOF2.

User Info Menu

For me the best reverbs have always been the lexicon algorithms, so i would be curious to compare the Hofs with them..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    All settings? Toneprints also crappy?

I like the HOF and the sound of most of the reverb types (wish it had shimmer, though) but at this point I don't have other pedals to compare it with.

The reverb algorithms are the same for the HOF and HOF2.
    I have not tried any Toneprints yet. But, all the in-built reverbs have a digital artifact type decay that is unpleasant. I will try to update the firmware tonight to see if that makes any diff. Also will download the Toneprint app and give that a try.
    Last edited by rolijen; 11-25-2019 at 03:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Unlike most others who have commented, I have the Flashback 2, but not the HOF2. I love the Flasback, and my next pedal purchase will be the HOF. The above said, if I was to (now) get one of the pedals, my choice would be the HOF before the Flashback. But I would still want both sooner or later - they are not the same thing and can only go so far standing in for each other.

User Info Menu

I have the HOF 2 and the Flashback 1. I leave the HOF always on, with the Spring setting. If you set the pre delay to "long", you get a nice slap echo.

I hardly ever use the Flashback, although I love the reverse delay. Not much good for swing jazz, I'm afraid.

User Info Menu

I re-flashed the firmware and so doing must have reset it because it sounds lots better. I actually used it’s most of last night’s session added just the right depth and ambience. Loved it!

Now that I’m getting usable results with the HoF, I’m interested to try the Piano Verb TonePrint suggested by vintagelove earlier in the thread.

User Info Menu

+1 for the HoF 2!