The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I know of a an Artur Lang guitar locally. It looks to be in excellent condition and was basically acquired by the owner as an investment.(They don't play guitar)
    It's a blonde model, fully acoustic, in a nice tweedy looking original case.
    I was going to look at it again
    If I remember it looked a lot like this model with the curious F-holes
    What would be a reasonable price if the guitar is in excellent cosmetic and playing condition.Blonde Artur Lang Archtop price?-b1ec2d1cde225e4dfd0b4eafc9d9d96c-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wasn't there one for sale here last week?

Maybe
    I didn't see it. This one isn't on this forum nor currently up for public sale.

I'm just looking for a reasonable ballpark figure, the guitar in question does not belong to anyone on this forum, of that I am sure. Thanks
    Last edited by What now?; 11-18-2019 at 07:52 PM.

User Info Menu

The selling price range of Langs is typically between $3,500 and $6,500, depending on the model, condition, playability and originalty. Several people on this forum know a lot about Langs. Ask away.

There is one for sale on this forum right now for $3,210 | 2,900 euros (presumably + shipping). It appears to be in excellent condition. ABM typically made unique tailpieces for Lang, which are hard to find, but some guitars (as shown below) were equipped with the ABM Model 1266.. The guitar is located in Germany.

The ad is here:
    Artur Lang
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-20-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Alas I expected as much, It is far out of the price range of the sometimes working musician. They have entered the realm of moneyed collectors.
    I will probably go look at it anyway, the fellow knows it might be out of my range, but it would nice to actually play one. Who knows? Maybe it will induce me to sell all my other guitars....
    regardless I'll get some information regarding model, and maybe a picture if I'm allowed.

On the extreme end of the spectrum I might go look at a Framus Sorello 5/59 which would seem to be selling for about 2-4% of that range....

User Info Menu

The Framus Sorello 5/59 is an adequate, utility-grade, low-end guitar.
    It can be made functional and playable.

Old Langs are not particularly expensive compared to a variety of factory-built American archtops.
    $3,500 is not a lot of money for a carved archtop guitar, and Langs are vastly superior to any guitars in that price range.

Thanks, I've checked out the specs of Sorellos, Unless I really enjoyed playing it I wouldn't buy it. Sometimes ply archtops can sound decent. But I already have 4 plywood electric archtops. I have an acoustic solid top Fasan which is lovely sounding and stoked my love of the german archtops beyond their lovely aesthetics.

I'm sure the Lang is worth every penny quality and workmanship-wise, however I can't afford it unless I sell a few other guitars, nor can I afford it's possibly lesser North American equivalents. Maybe if I was playing for a living full time and being paid REALLY well, or working a high paid more conventional job..

User Info Menu

Hi Hammertone,

You are stating about the offered Lang: It has a non-original tailpiece
    Nope - 100% original! Not all Langs have this distinctive signiture tailpiece!
    I post a few random pics of other samples of this model having the same tailpiece:

Blonde Artur Lang Archtop price?-standard_sb_01_01-jpgBlonde Artur Lang Archtop price?-standard_nat_01_01-jpgBlonde Artur Lang Archtop price?-img_6921-jpg

But we may play a little game: there is indeed something not original on my Lang. You as an expert will easily find out!?

Besides the schaller pickup what's with the dots on the fretboard on one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alteklampfe
    Hi Hammertone, You are stating about the offered Lang: It has a non-original tailpiece
    Nope - 100% original! Not all Langs have this distinctive signiture tailpiece!
    I post a few random pics of other samples of this model having the same tailpiece:

But we may play a little game: there is indeed something not original on my Lang. You as an expert will easily find out!?
    Cool, I learn something new every day, and have amended my post accordingly.
    Your Lang looks great. If I was in the market and didn't already have a few of them, I'd buy it in a second.
    The only thing that looks odd to me is the plastic heel cap, but I've stopped second-guessing mis-matched plastic on German guitars.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-20-2019 at 10:24 PM.

User Info Menu

plastic heel cap, yes looks odd - but original.