Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

Hello, I'm curious as to the technical reasons for this small carve on the side of the neck at the fretboard extension. I have been able to make it out on same model guitar photos online but can't figure out why it's there!

Thank you

Fretboard extension neck carve question-img_20191118_200147-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what you're asking. The underside of the extension is carved out so that it doesn't touch the top past the solid part of the neck that goes into the block. I don't recall seeing any extensions with material removed from the side of the neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I'm not sure what you're asking. The underside of the extension is carved out so that it doesn't touch the top past the solid part of the neck that goes into the block. I don't recall seeing any extensions with material removed from the side of the neck.
    Actually, the neck *is* slightly carved out on the sides, under the fingerboard. You can see it from around the 17th(?) fret and up from there. I know it makes it more aesthetic to attach a floating pickup bracket, but I'm not sure if that's the actual reason for it.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 11-20-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Thanks for the responses. I can't tell if the treble side has the same as the pickguard is attached at that point but it does not look like it.

User Info Menu

I suspect it is to give some support to the extension, to prevent it from breaking. While keeping it off the sound board.