User Info Menu

We love our guitars. We buy some, trade others. Fawn over those we can't have.
    But as a slight diversion, are there any specific memories you associate with your jazz axes?
    I have an 18 Campy (blonde, non cut) that I always associate with my little daughter who was born a year before it arrived from Mark's shop. She still calls this 'her' guitar almost eight years later, and one that I should never sell. I remember warm summer days with it; learning some Eddie Lang and Django tunes, loud crickets at night.
    I have a 34 L5, too. This is one I used to play small gigs with. So I associate it with crowded jazz joints, an audience, sometimes too many Hendricks and tonic.
    The list can go on.
    How about the guys here?
    Fill it in and let's see what's the most memorable, common, or unusual.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I picked up a Heritage Golden Eagle in the 1990's, natural finish, that sent me over the moon. I loved that guitar. I had Heritage build me a pickguard with their "hotter" pickup, and with a tone control as well as volume. Had my name engraved on the truss rod cover.

But in 2006 or 2007, I sold it to address some overwhelming credit card debt. I have always regretted having to sell it, and have always wondered where it ended up. That guitar I will always associate with my beginning efforts in jazz. It was a beauty, and that beauty just slipped away.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Really only a couple...

My CSB ES-137C I bought new and back then, not planning on selling it, I registered the warranty in my 8/9 year old sons' name. Funny at 25 he has no interest in gits.

I had a late 60's or early 70's walnut 335 with trapeze. Hard times fell on me and it went. It's the one I judge every semi against.

fortunately or unfortunately as a retiree I can pretty much have most any git I want, and I acquired more than I need but, the walls were bare and now they are not.
    Regards,

Gary

User Info Menu

I feel for you guys. A bit over a decade ago after a divorce I was down to my last $500 and stretched thin on credit. I didn't have much of value to sell, except for some antiques. Against my better judgment I bought a lightly used Epi JP on Ebay. Probably the best $400 I have ever spent, as it pretty much saved my sanity.

It led me on a jazz journey that is still going strong, though I've come to terms with the fact I will never play like Joe or George or Pat (either one).

Through some luck I made it financially through the immediate post-divorce period, and have persisted despite some ups and downs over the last decade. I have also added a few guitars to the collection.

I probably should've kept the JP, especially after some nice pickup and hardware upgrades, but a sweet Peerless Sunset caught me eye, and I decided it was time to pass on Mr. Joe (get it?) to another soul in need.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

User Info Menu

So many guitars, so many memories. To choose one: my '64 (?) Gibson ES-345 - Months of scrimping to pay it off; hours of terror recutting the hopelessly out-of-whack nut; scores of gigs backing the best singer I've ever played with; bars and ballrooms, parties and pool halls, dumps, dives, and dens of iniquity. Good times.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

It remember when I got myself a new white strat on my wife's 40th birthday...she won't let me forget that guitar...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    It remember when I got myself a new white strat on my wife's 40th birthday...she won't let me forget that guitar...
    Funny. Here's what I've used over the years.
    The first wife didn't care what I bought until she wanted a divorce; then she became very interested in my guitar collection. Thankfully, if I continued to buy SB archtops since she couldn't tell the difference between them as new ones arrived. I used the UPS store for delivery, and kept most of the collection in their cases. Math wasn't her strong suit.
    The second wife spotted a D'A copy (Heritage) once and got freaky but when I bought a new classical she didn't seem to notice. I guess her eyes were trained on archtops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    I picked up a Heritage Golden Eagle in the 1990's, natural finish, that sent me over the moon. I loved that guitar. I had Heritage build me a pickguard with their "hotter" pickup, and with a tone control as well as volume. Had my name engraved on the truss rod cover.

But in 2006 or 2007, I sold it to address some overwhelming credit card debt. I have always regretted having to sell it, and have always wondered where it ended up. That guitar I will always associate with my beginning efforts in jazz. It was a beauty, and that beauty just slipped away.
    Have you contacted the person who bought it from you and tried to chase the trail?