The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

I have a Loar LH-700 on the way, and if it looks/sounds good then I will be wanting to add a pickguard

is the Allparts one decent?
    is it the longer variant or the shorter size (20’s era, mounted near the 16th fret)?

is the Fox-Guitars one head and shoulders better?

also looking for opinions on tortoise vs black
    - which looks more “period correct” - trying to give the Loar that classy old time look

any photos would be greatly appreciated

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have installed the Allparts Tortoise guards on a few L5’s. I like them a lot. The size, shape, color and binding looks correct for an L5. I also like the way the binding is slightly yellowed/aged looking. I attached a couple pictures of ones that I have installed.
    Keith
    Anyone use the Allparts L5 inspired pickguard?-703b586d-963a-442c-8c9c-8b48aebbcff8-jpgAnyone use the Allparts L5 inspired pickguard?-a2725b15-b0ab-4c36-919e-097bcf1c4185-jpgAnyone use the Allparts L5 inspired pickguard?-3e11097f-749e-458d-8a3c-85645ad159f0-jpg

Those do look good!

thanks for the quick response

does the Allparts guard come with the mounting hardware?

User Info Menu

Hey Keith,

What is the length and maximum width of the Allparts L5 guard? I’m wondering whether it would be a good fit for my16” noncut L7.

Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tfling
    Those do look good!

No

User Info Menu

But you can order the mounting hardware when you order the pickguard. They have it in stock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tfling
    Those do look good!

No, Allparts pickguards don’t come with hardware. In my case, I was replacing old deteriorating pickguards that were on the guitars and just used the existing Gibson hardware. You also have to drill the holes and cut out any openings for pickups, etc.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Hey Keith,

What is the length and maximum width of the Allparts L5 guard? I’m wondering whether it would be a good fit for my16” noncut L7.

Paul
    Hi Paul:
    I don’t have the guitars with me at the moment, so I can’t measure them. I am sure you could get that information if you contact Allparts.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    But you can order the mounting hardware when you order the pickguard. They have it in stock.
    Aftermarket pickguard brackets are not exactly the same as real Gibson ones.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Aftermarket pickguard brackets are not exactly the same as real Gibson ones.
    Keith
    A little background on my comment:

If we are talking about the vintage-style brackets with a threaded rod and nuts, most aftermarket brackets have “acorn” nuts. Gibson uses a flat nut. The thread size is also different. It’s not easy to find an original Gibson bracket though and aftermarket ones will look ok.

Gibson used a simple bent bracket in the seventies. That one would probably be easier to replicate.

Keith

User Info Menu

@pcjazz. Allparts L5 guard I mounted on my '48 L7N.

Just about 10" long by 3 15/16" at its widest.Anyone use the Allparts L5 inspired pickguard?-20191117_211029-jpgAnyone use the Allparts L5 inspired pickguard?-20191117_211057-jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

A little background on my comment:

If we are talking about the vintage-style brackets with a threaded rod and nuts, most aftermarket brackets have “acorn” nuts. Gibson uses a flat nut. The thread size is also different. It’s not easy to find an original Gibson bracket though and aftermarket ones will look ok.

Gibson used a simple bent bracket in the seventies. That one would probably be easier to replicate.

Keith
    I came across a vendor that sells brackets with a flat not acorn nut. Can't recall at the moment, and I ordered it online on my work PC. I can track it down tomorrow. IIRC it was Pickguardian, but not positive.

If you zoom in on my pics above you can see it. I did use the "shoe" from the original 1948 guard (the rod and nuts had been replaced) with the new bracket rod I bought. The hole on the shoe on the replacement bracket didn't line up with the hole on the rim of the '48, and I wasn't keen on drilling a new hole.

Edit; if you want a better pic of the bracket/rod/nut, I can take one. I also ordered a spare rod/nut set (they had them available seperately) and can pull that out for a pic as well...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B
    I came across a vendor that sells brackets with a flat not acorn nut. Can't recall at the moment, and I ordered it online on my work PC. I can track it down tomorrow. IIRC it was Pickguardian, but not positive.

If you zoom in on my pics above you can see it. I did use the "shoe" from the original 1948 guard (the rod and nuts had been replaced) with the new bracket rod I bought. The hole on the shoe on the replacement bracket didn't line up with the hole on the rim of the '48, and I wasn't keen on drilling a new hole.

Edit; if you want a better pic of the bracket/rod/nut, I can take one. I also ordered a spare rod/nut set (they had them available seperately) and can pull that out for a pic as well...

Brian:
    I also found a vendor who had brackets with flat nuts a few years ago. I ordered one for a guitar that I was working on. I recall that, although it looked authentic, it had a different thread size than my original Gibson ones. Fortunately, it came with the little threaded plastic piece that attaches to the underside of the pickguard. If you are using a brand new Allparts pickguard, you can glue the new plastic piece on the bottom and everything will work out fine. As you said, you can even use a Gibson “shoe” with it, because it isn’t threaded. You can’t mix old and new threaded parts though.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Brian:
    I also found a vendor who had brackets with flat nuts a few years ago. I ordered one for a guitar that I was working on. I recall that, although it looked authentic, it had a different thread size than my original Gibson ones. Fortunately, it came with the little threaded plastic piece that attaches to the underside of the pickguard. If you are using a brand new Allparts pickguard, you can glue the new plastic piece on the bottom and everything will work out fine. As you said, you can even use a Gibson “shoe” with it, because it isn’t threaded. You can’t mix old and new threaded parts though.
    Keith
    Bingo.

User Info Menu

.......And just for a heads-up, these furniture pads w/ adhesive backing work well for adding support / shimming from underneath the pg...Once you've fitted the pg, these can be attached to the underside of it, and the felt protects the top.....

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Round-...F6KERBHMYVGJSP

..and easy to cut and trim and really can't be seen once fitted...........

User Info Menu

I came across a vendor that sells brackets with a flat not acorn nut. Can't recall at the moment, and I ordered it online on my work PC. I can track it down tomorrow. IIRC it was Pickguardian, but not positive..... <snip>

Sometimes I should trust my instincts....lol

Brackets | Pickguardian

User Info Menu

Sometimes I should trust my instincts....lol

Brackets | Pickguardian
    Wow! Those look great. And it says “standard Gibson thread”. This is great news. I was never able to find an aftermarket one like this. Thanks for sharing.
    Keith

Just curious - how is the front of this pickguard supported/held down ?

all of the archtops I have had before have had a screw that went through the top of the guitar to anchor the front of the guard (which I am not a huge fan of drilling into the top)

am i I missing something about the installation of this?

User Info Menu

You can add a block in that area and screw it into the side of the fingerboard extension.

User Info Menu

Here's the original block on my '48. Originally glued, it came loose prior to me getting it and was secured using double sided tape. Here you can see how much my original guard was cupping/warped.

Which is why I got the Allparts guard.Anyone use the Allparts L5 inspired pickguard?-20190505_114524-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's the original block on my '48. Originally glued, it came loose prior to me getting it and was secured using double sided tape. Here you can see how much my original guard was cupping/warped.

Which is why I got the Allparts guard.Anyone use the Allparts L5 inspired pickguard?-20190505_114524-jpg

Brian, The original guard and block would have been tortoiseshell plastic, the one you replaced is a replacement as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Brian, The original guard and block would have been tortoiseshell plastic, the one you replaced is a replacement as well.
    On an L7?

User Info Menu

Yes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Yes
    Huh. Did not expect that. I didn't think the L7 got tort guards...thought the 5 ply BWBWB plastic was original.

Wonder how long ago it lost it's original then...there's no trace of damage typical of one gassing off on the finish.

User Info Menu

Huh. Did not expect that. I didn't think the L7 got tort guards...thought the 5 ply BWBWB plastic was original.

Wonder how long ago it lost it's original then...there's no trace of damage typical of one gassing off on the finish.

It could have been removed before it gassed too much. Some folks don't even like guards and take them off. The only difference between an L5 guard and an L7 is the amount of binding layers