The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Black guards w the beveled edge came on ES175s and others.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Black guards w the beveled edge came on ES175s and others.
    Good to know, and unexpected. Now I don't have to feel so cheezy about putting a tort guard on it...akin to putting Z28 badges on a base Camaro coupe...lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Looks nice on your guitar, I had a nice blonde '48 as well, the guard was just starting to go when I sold it. One of the better L7's I've heard, but then early post war acoustic Gibsons are generally punchy and full sounding for some reason.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tfling
    I have a Loar LH-700 on the way, and if it looks/sounds good then I will be wanting to add a pickguard

is the Allparts one decent?
    is it the longer variant or the shorter size (20’s era, mounted near the 16th fret)?

is the Fox-Guitars one head and shoulders better?

also looking for opinions on tortoise vs black
    - which looks more “period correct” - trying to give the Loar that classy old time look

any photos would be greatly appreciated
    Here's a pic of my 1970 L5 with one of the allparts pickguards . It looks good, altough i would prefer the semitransparency of the original. No way for me to use a black PG for an L5 and i think the Loar also would look nicer with tortoise.

Anyone use the Allparts L5 inspired pickguard?-1970_l5ces-jpg
    Last edited by JazzNote; 11-19-2019 at 06:06 PM.

User Info Menu

JazzNote, that is a REALLY beautiful guitar.
    You keep your stuff nice. I love it.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Just wanted to point out that the binding on the AllParts pg isn’t quite right. On most Gibson L5 pick guards, the first layer of black (from the outside going in) is thicker than the rest of the black layers. On the AllParts version, all the black layers are the same. They’re great guards, and I have one on my 55 L5CESN, but thought it might matter to some.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    JazzNote, that is a REALLY beautiful guitar.
    You keep your stuff nice. I love it.
    Joe D
    Joe, thanks for the praise :-), i love my guitars, love to play them and try to keep them in good shape.

User Info Menu

The price of these has got to point I cannot make them and earn a profit. I see some with 5 layers of binding for less than $60 and whatever they are doing is sure efficient because it still takes time and material. I have to get $80 or it is not worth the effort. The good thing is that some pickguards have to be fashioned indvidually for the guitar. The stuff I have been using is also twice a thick and works fine most of the time. In the end though just running a price check on ebay for L5 pickguards there are lots of good options that are not expensive. The price has definitely come down on them. It does not have be be exact just pretty close.

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Allparts guard. I’ve used 3 of them with great results each time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B
    Huh. Did not expect that. I didn't think the L7 got tort guards...thought the 5 ply BWBWB plastic was original.

Wonder how long ago it lost it's original then...there's no trace of damage typical of one gassing off on the finish.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    My 1947 L7 had the original guard on it when I got it. It was tortoise with a single ply of binding. Unfortunately, it was beginning to deteriorate, so I had a perfect replica built for it by Leroy Aiello (I didn’t want to use an Allparts guard because they don’t make one like this). I attached a picture of the replica, which looks identical to the original.
    Keith
    Anyone use the Allparts L5 inspired pickguard?-667ec5bc-5354-4ae4-85c3-a231cfc67b75-jpg