The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

I guess I`m the oddball, because I just bought another Quilter. Tone Block 202,which makes number 3.I can`t understand why any of you would not like it?
    It has the most usable Clean Tone of any amp I've ever owned ,and I've owned a lot.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    “Head to head” comparison of four amps: brand new for 2019, the Quilter Toneblock 202 and the Raezers Edge Luna vs 10 year old Acoustic Image Clarus SLR vs a vintage Walter Woods from 1978, the original class D amp that started it all. Two guitars use; a Ribbecke Testadura MK and a Ribbecke Halfling. I’d love to know if my guitar nerd friends like one more than another.

Hafling
    1. Walter Woods
    2. RE - Luna
    3. AI Clarus SLR, Quilter

Testadura
    1. RE Luna
    2. Walter Woods
    3. AI Clarus SLR, Quilter

User Info Menu

Usable is a very subjective term. I found no usable tones anywhere in either version of the 101. All I could get was a nasally honking tone, regardless of settings. It was always there and I couldn't get rid of it. But clearly a lot of people like that tone, and a lot don't. It's a matter of taste, and my taste is not the same as anyone else's, and no one needs to apologize for their taste.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Usable is a very subjective term. I found no usable tones anywhere in either version of the 101. All I could get was a nasally honking tone, regardless of settings. It was always there and I couldn't get rid of it. But clearly a lot of people like that tone, and a lot don't. It's a matter of taste, and my taste is not the same as anyone else's, and no one needs to apologize for their taste.
    nasal and honking is in line what I was hearing. Not at low “home” volume but on the gig. The louder we played the more it came forward in the sound. Probably brought out a little more scofield in my playing that night, but that’s not where I really want to go. It’s an aggressive sound and does cut through a loud stage mix, though that might be part of what made the band extra loud that night.

User Info Menu

The Quilter 101 I fou d to be underpowered for any loud gig application. On the other hand the Aviator and Tone Blocks would definitely cover any gig.
    Another important element is choice of speaker and cab. But this is true of any amp as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    The Quilter 101 I fou d to be underpowered for any loud gig application. On the other hand the Aviator and Tone Blocks would definitely cover any gig.
    Another important element is choice of speaker and cab. But this is true of any amp as well.
    . True about speakers, but my Raezers edge cabs sound great (to me) with every other amp I tried, so I have no reason to start rig building from scratch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I haven't tested the 101 in a live setting, but I just have a hard time believing the 101 wouldn't be loud enough. Can be enough to make the ears hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    nasal and honking is in line what I was hearing. Not at low “home” volume but on the gig. The louder we played the more it came forward in the sound. Probably brought out a little more scofield in my playing that night, but that’s not where I really want to go. It’s an aggressive sound and does cut through a loud stage mix, though that might be part of what made the band extra loud that night.
    Great comparison videos and nice playing. In the live videos it's hard to tell a difference; however, I agree the Quilter is a tad more nasally, but not a ton. IMO, the differences I hear could be minimized by twisting knobs. I'm fully on board with the notion that sounds we hear are very subjective.

User Info Menu

I guess we all hear things differently. Good thing there are so many options available out there. Now if gigs that paid were that abundant,LOL!

User Info Menu

Not gonna try to change anyone's mind or anything. Just wanted to say that I hate "nasally upper mid range honk" as much as the next guy. It's certainly not something I go looking for. I had that problem with Aviator 8 and bought another speaker cab and an expensive EQ to solve it. I don't have that at all with the 202. But I also prefer 12" speakers in open cabs. So that's... another variable.

Mark sounds great through all three amps if you ask me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Usable is a very subjective term. I found no usable tones anywhere in either version of the 101.
    Hey gnosnell.

As a Quilter owner, I've noticed a trend that any time Quilter is mentioned on this forum, you chime in with your disdain for Quilter's offerings. You've also mentioned that you do not like the Fender blackface thang, which Quilter is obviously emulating. So maybe this amp just isn't for you?

My concern is that by consistently offering your dissenting opinion, you are providing a disproportionate negative consensus. Your opinion is, of course, valid, but maybe you need to limit the expression of it. Or qualify it by the fact that you don't like blackface tones, and therefore are not a fan of solid state emulations of blackface tones.

Just looking out for other prospective Quilterites... I'm very happy with my 101 (and a big Fender Blackface fan), and I wouldn't want others to be put off by those who are really just after different tones.

User Info Menu

Besides, it,s more of a middle high end quack, if you ask me :-) :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Hey gnosnell.

As a Quilter owner, I've noticed a trend that any time Quilter is mentioned on this forum, you chime in with your disdain for Quilter's offerings. You've also mentioned that you do not like the Fender blackface thang, which Quilter is obviously emulating. So maybe this amp just isn't for you?

My concern is that by consistently offering your dissenting opinion, you are providing a disproportionate negative consensus. Your opinion is, of course, valid, but maybe you need to limit the expression of it. Or qualify it by the fact that you don't like blackface tones, and therefore are not a fan of solid state emulations of blackface tones.

Just looking out for other prospective Quilterites... I'm very happy with my 101 (and a big Fender Blackface fan), and I wouldn't want others to be put off by those who are really just after different tones.
    I am very happy with my MP-12, and newly acquired Aviator 8. Actually surprised at how full the Aviator sounds when adjusted correctly. Used it with my big band the past two weeks, and guys who didn't even notice a different amp came to me on the break telling me how great I sounded.

User Info Menu

Here’s a full track from last week with the Quilter 202. Nothing wrong with it. Nothing at all

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    the Quilter had the hardest attack
    This is why i've been a huge Quilter fan, I have most of their heads, just got the 202 and really like it. I play legato mostly, so an amp that has a better attack is best for me. I have yet to try the other amps in this demo, as i'm open to giving them all a try, i am really finding it hard to imagine a better amp for me, size, weight, power, price, portability, etc., than Quilter. I prefer using separate cabs too, not a combo. I'd be curious if this demo guy ever tried the new ZT Amplifier Jazz Club

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Hey gnosnell.

well said, seems most people i've ever observed dislike gear from others opinions. I have zero issue with anyone disliking anything, but again, i think most people have their minds made up prior to trying gear out, and are looking to find ways to dislike rather than being open minded and finding positives. For all that Quilters have to offer, size/weight/portability, tone, PRICE(compared to even just the other amps in this demo), Quilters seem like a steal