The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

“Head to head” comparison of four amps: brand new for 2019, the Quilter Toneblock 202 and the Raezers Edge Luna vs 10 year old Acoustic Image Clarus SLR vs a vintage Walter Woods from 1978, the original class D amp that started it all. Two guitars use; a Ribbecke Testadura MK and a Ribbecke Halfling. I’d love to know if my guitar nerd friends like one more than another.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'll bite!

With the Testadura:
    1. Woods
    2. Luna
    3. Quilter
    4. Clarus

With the Halfling:
    1 to 3: three-way tie between Luna, Quilter and Clarus
    4. Woods.

User Info Menu

I may lack the fineness of ear for certain nuances and frequencies, but the consistency of the 4 amps (at what appear to be flat EQs) is more remarkable than any difference.*

Are you sentimental about the Walter Wood? With each guitar, you seemed to let the opening notes on that amp bloom a bit longer than with the others. (And it responded well, as though you’ve known it for decades. I’m unfamiliar with WW, but came to Class D (Clarus, Quilter, Henriksen (?)) only in the last few years.)

Then too it must be said that most of the consistency and clarity in this comparison is in your hands.

Do you have a favorite of these, or a ranking?

*To hear differences—relative weaknesses, strengths in these amps—we might have to hear many more comparisons (all with treble rolled off; all with midrange maxed, etc.) And then there’s a risk of going crazy (either you or the listener) after hearing the same test phrases 12,16, 20 times....

User Info Menu

I really wish you hadn't included the RE Luna. It's giving me a really bad case of GAS. I preferred it over any of the others. Next the Walter Woods, the Clarus was very close to that, and the Quilter was in last place, as usual. I've never heard a Quilter that I liked. I bought both the 101 and the 101 Reverb, and couldn't get rid of them fast enough. But that Luna, I may have to acquire one. And I already have too many amps.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Mark -- sounds great!

[What cab were you using, and were you using some outboard reverb, too?]

User Info Menu

Actually those were all very good and quite usable. I really enjoyed your playing as well. I have Clarus, Henriksen and Quilter 202 class D heads myself. I found myself liking the Walter Woods the most by a slight margin. I would assume that is your keeper amp as others may come and go. That Luna also sounded great. Of course I have to like the most the two I don't have :-). But then again, as I said earlier, they all sounded great in your capable hands. Thanks for sharing this Mark.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Thanks, Mark -- sounds great!

[What cab were you using, and were you using some outboard reverb, too?]
    all through a raezers edge NY8; close miked to Zoom liq5
    mike/iPhone. The woods has no reverb so I used a. Outboards pedal, whilst the other ones used onboard reverb
    Attached Images Attached Images Class D amp shoutout-7d8f07de-122e-43ac-b4cc-68c9c6d71a7e-jpg 

User Info Menu

I like all the amps except Quilter. That one doesn't sound good no matter what guitar, but other 3 have different flavors I can live with fine.

User Info Menu

I preferred the AI with both guitars, followed by the WW and RE with the Testadura but those two were a tossup with the Hafling. I thought the Quilter worked better with the Halfling but liked it the least with both guitars. I prefer a bit of softness to the attack and to my ears the Quilter had the hardest attack. But they all were very usable.

Disclaimer- I have a Clarus 2r and RE12 of my own, so some of that may be familiarity.

User Info Menu

I like the WWoods for its clarity and midrange prominence. I like the AI Clarus SL for its malty rounded tone. The Quilter and RE Luna are...nice.

I would happily keep the WW and AI. To know that the WW dates from 1978 is astonishing.

User Info Menu

This is an interesting comparison in an unexpected way. I don't think this is a class D shoot out, more like a class D/ class AB ( probably) shootout. If the WW amp is from 1978, and judging from
    the huge heatsinks on the back of the WW, it's not class D ( which generates far less heat and doesn't need heatsinks). WW amps were innovative not for a class D power section, but for something equally useful and weight saving, a switchmode power supply, which all modern class D amps now incorporate.

So the WW is the daddy, but for the innovative power supply, not class D

But this only makes it more interesting; a chance to compare modern class D amps with a venerable, well regarded and - almost certainly - older technology, the WW.

I like the Quilter; certainly wasn't expecting that

User Info Menu

Hey, thanks!

Aaahh! This is like wine tasting, with a couple of noble vintages (read: guitars) poured into glasses (read: amps&cabs) of slightly different shapes. Invariably, opinions differ, but we're talking of nuances. A fine dinner (read: concert) is a different story, as the wine is an accompaniment to other great tastes. You add salt, pepper and other condiments (read: EQ, FX) for a more perfect union. Not to speak of a cafeteria lunch (read: club gig), where such vintages are rare and wasted.

Limiting the discussion to Class D amp heads only (thus excluding current DV Mark and Henriksen combos), the European jazz guitarist, at least on an amateur level, basically has DV Mark and Quilter to choose from. Between them, it's like comparing a robust red to a dry white. But if you can do without reverb or live with a separate stomp box, the G+K MB 200 or TC Electronic BAM 200 deliver great tones and plenty punch, while weighing under 2 lbs and costing seriously less than an arm and a leg.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 11-18-2019 at 03:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhl-ferndale
    ... Then too it must be said that most of the consistency and clarity in this comparison is in your hands.
    ... And then there’s a risk of going crazy (either you or the listener) after hearing the same test phrases 12,16, 20 times....
    A method to take the player out of such comparisons is to use a looper. Record a piece or test phrase into a looper, then put the guitar aside and play the recording from the looper into the amp being tested. That way, there are no variations coming from the players themselves, and listeners can evaluate the amps having the exact same input.

User Info Menu

So just a thought about amps . It seems as though many here prefer a Neutral or Flat response amp with their Archtops as opposed to say a Fender type of tone.

For me I like the Quilter since it not only works with my Elferink Tonemaster archtop, Martin OM 21, Tele, 335, even Synth etc.
    I end up using different size speaker cabs depending on application and venue.

User Info Menu

The Quilter was a strong number 1 for me with both guitars (a surprise to me since I've never liked playing through any Quilter I've tried). Maybe the ToneBlock would change that. The Luna was number 2 with the AI a relatively distant third and the WW an even more distant fourth.

Just a thought ... the WW and the AI are basically the amps that defined this genre and they deserve huge props for that but the Quilter and RE amps already had an established model to shoot for. I think that's huge advantage for them.

User Info Menu

All sounded good to me with the WW perhaps being my favorite, But they (Walter Woods) are expensive, old at this point and repairs may present difficulties. So I would choose one of the others. The customer service of Acoustic Image is beyond outstanding, so That should be a consideration to a prospective buyer.

I have to say though, speaking of class D amps, my Henriksen Blu may be the best solid state amp I have owned, particulalry when using my (built by Rich) Raezer's Edge Stealth 10ER cabinet as a "boost". I think I am set for years to come. A class D Henriksen head, if they ever release one, would be a strong contender in this type of shoot out.

Thanks for posting Mark!

User Info Menu

I liked the Quilter, and that's no surprise since I started using the 202 about 3 months ago and have never been happier with an amp in 50+ years.

Given all of them seem to be set pretty much flat, I think I'd be happy with any one of them after about 10 minutes of knob tweakage.

I'd like to point out that the 202 has quite a different EQ section from other Quilters, which would help explain Jim's comments. Note Mark's EQ settings. This is flat response and has plenty room to cut treble for those who might be so inclined.

Thanks for the demo Mr K!

User Info Menu

I liked them all; As a Corus III owner I am biased toward the AI. I thought they all gave workable tones - the flat settings give plenty of leeway for room-appropriate tweaks. Once again a prime example of "tone is in the fingers." Your elegant phrasing is captivating. Kudos, and thanks!

User Info Menu

Clarus, Quilter, Luna, WW. The Clarus sounds smooth, round and flat. (If that makes any sense.) Don't like the Woods at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    This is an interesting comparison in an unexpected way. I don't think this is a class D shoot out, more like a class D/ class AB ( probably) shootout. If the WW amp is from 1978, and judging from
    the huge heatsinks on the back of the WW, it's not class D ( which generates far less heat and doesn't need heatsinks). WW amps were innovative not for a class D power section, but for something equally useful and weight saving, a switchmode power supply, which all modern class D amps now incorporate.

So the WW is the daddy, but for the innovative power supply, not class Dt
    Interesting note about the Class D misconception. I am a big fan of Pearce amps. Early 80's SOA SS amps, made to compete with tube amps. Definitely not Class D. Heavy transformer and heat sink. (But still lighter than tube amps.) I still use a G2R in my studio, and recently bought the Pearce "preamp in a pedal" from Suncoast. I would be interested to hear the Pearce along with these other examples. It's definitely a more "all purpose" amp, from squeaky-clean acoustic, to shred.

Class D amp shoutout-stereo-jpg
    Class D amp shoutout-suncoast-g2p-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 11-20-2019 at 10:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks all who listened and commented. Please check out the shootout part 2 which is 3 of these heads in a live setting. Cheers.

User Info Menu

So maybe next shootout make us guess which amp you're playing. I'll bet the results will be differen t due to preconceived opinions.

Also we should remember we are splitting hairs,since they are being used for one tone application. as well as not in a band setting or recording.

User Info Menu

1. Quilter
    2. Luna
    3. Woods
    4. Clarus

That being said, they all sound good in different ways. I own the Quilter 202 and I like it quite a bit, more than the other three or four Quilters I have owned.
    Also just got a Henriksen Forte head which has a tube pre amp that I am enjoying quite a bit so far.

User Info Menu

Update: the quilter has been sent back. I didn’t like it on the gig as much as the others and I don’t need another living room amp.

User Info Menu

I owned two Quilters, and got rid of both of them. I could not find any settings that I liked. The seller told me they were getting a lot of them back. But some people really like them. Different tastes for different folks.