The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 90 of 90
    While it is quite a bit thicker than my other guitars, that didn't really bother me. The more problematic aspect is the shape of the neck. The back of the neck of all my other guitars is a smooth arc. The back of the neck on the L7 is a rounded V-shape so there is definitely a 'point' in the dead center of the neck. It was pretty uncomfortable for a few days.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It was a really fun deal, especially getting to read all the comments here while you did your research. I'm glad the guitar is in good hands. PLEASE don't put flats on it!

User Info Menu

just for info...possibly the most celebrated acoustic archtop maker of all time-john d'angelico-'s string of choice was bronze 80/20 on hex core!!! which he helped to pioneer with early d'addario fam stringmakers

(of course disregard this info if using magnetic pups)

now back to your penzoil! ^ hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    just for info...possibly the most celebrated acoustic archtop maker of all time-john d'angelico-'s string of choice was bronze 80/20 on hex core!!! which he helped to pioneer with early d'addario fam stringmakers

(of course disregard this info if using magnetic pups)

now back to your penzoil! ^ hah

cheers
    That reminds me. I was at Eric Schoenberg’s shop recently and I asked him what was special about his brand of strings (which he carries). He didn’t really have a lot of detail other than he asked D’Addario to make them “the way they used to”.

User Info Menu

yeah well i have nothing but respect for eric s...he's been around a long time..but his expertise, i believe, is really acoustic flat tops...which he is amazing with...

per archtops, and electrics/amps and the evolving related minutia..i've found less so..

& not a put down at all! everyone has their strengths!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    It was a really fun deal, especially getting to read all the comments here while you did your research. I'm glad the guitar is in good hands. PLEASE don't put flats on it!
    I haven't used flat wound strings in decades (on an electric guitar)...never even thought about it being a possibility for an acoustic guitar. Learn something every day.

User Info Menu

yeah well i have nothing but respect for eric s...he's been around a long time..but his expertise, i believe, is really acoustic flat tops...which he is amazing with...

per archtops, and electrics/amps and the evolving related minutia..i've found less so..

& not a put down at all! everyone has their strengths!

cheers
    Yeah who trusts a guy that has 3-4 1920s L5s hanging on the wall most of the year?

User Info Menu

Yeah who trusts a guy that has 3-4 1920s L5s hanging on the wall most of the year?
    A lot of guitar dealers know only archtop values, as in buy low, sell high. The minutia may not be of interest to them. Neatomic is spot on about Eric S. There are dealers who know quite a bit about archtops, but most do not.

User Info Menu

hey, you're the one who wrote he can't even tell you what design of strings he brands to string em with!!!

don't get why u'd draw the negative out of a well meaning post...i was very respectful with what i wrote! like to spice things up huh? hah

schoenberg shop is legendary!

cheers

User Info Menu

I'd be surprised to meet a dealer in the bay area who knows much about archtops, tbh. Remember a few years ago when you all helped me relabel the 50's ES-150 that Gryphon was calling an ES 300?

User Info Menu

I cant give any advice for finding the right guitar, but as far as an overview of old Gibsons go this website might give some valuable info: Vintage Guitars Info - Gibson collecting vintage gibson guitars
    A really cool page from before the web stores took over the internet.

hey, you're the one who wrote he can't even tell you what design of strings he brands to string em with!!!

don't get why u'd draw the negative out of a well meaning post...i was very respectful with what i wrote! like to spice things up huh? hah

schoenberg shop is legendary!

cheers
    Seems like I have stumbled onto the motor oil topic of this site ...it's not strings, it's "How much does Schoenberg know about archtops"

User Info Menu

Wanted to make sure you got a bit of a show!

User Info Menu

I'd be surprised to meet a dealer in the bay area who knows much about archtops, tbh. Remember a few years ago when you all helped me relabel the 50's ES-150 that Gryphon was calling an ES 300?
    There used to be a dealer in Berkeley who knew his stuff about archtops. His store was called "Blue Note Music". His archtop specialty did not translate to much financial success and his store went under. Trad jazz guitarist Tony Marcus is an archtop dealer (and he operates a bit under the radar) and he knows quite a bit about archtops. I have never met Steve Swan, but I am told that he knows his stuff about archtops. Stores like Gryphon, Schoenbergs, Sylvan music (Santa Cruz) and a few other long running Bay Area music stores know more about archtops than Guitar Center, but that ain't saying much.

User Info Menu

yeah agree... blue note was nice shop...certainly had some nice archtops..tho info varied with staff...still tho a solid store..and always had the flatwounds!!

my archtop gold standard mentor was always rudy pensa...he was into them as treasures long ago..why he amassed his museum like collection!!..but he was equally a fan of the lesser archs, like rics and gretsches...early friend and seller of godin too! a true lover of all things guitar!

just a beacon in my book...never to be replaced too easily anywhere in this world...east west north or south

cheers