Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

I scored a 1978 Yamaha SG2000 about a year ago for $400. It has the original pickup in The neck but has a bill Lawrence in the bridge. I’m not a tweaker, but it bugs me that they are different pickups.

I’m generally a single-coil player and for reference, I love my Kay pancake pickup, my godin p-90 on my 5th ave and my tele Duncan quarter pounders (no cheese) the best. I every so often dime my 1970s vibrochamp and the Lawrence pickup sounds like heaven above, but that’s 1% of my playing- I mainly play live experimental music with a clean tone.

so in certain ways I should follow my nature and don’t change a thing, but I really like this guitar- it plays great and has a great neck, but I miss the crispness of my single coils.

I’ve been looking at humbucker-sized p-90s, but I’m not sure how that would translate with a neck-through maple-topped boat anchor.

any thoughts and/or suggestions?

given that I got the guitar for such a deal, I’m not opposed to getting Lollar or equally expensive pickups- I could even sell the original pickup and the Bill Lawrence pickup to off-set the pickup price.

the humbucker- sized p-90s are calling out to me.

what ch’all think? Any experience putting in p-90s into a les Paul type solid body?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Actually, soapbar p90s are the classic sound of a vintage les paul, so go for it, should sound great.

Dream 90 Humbucker SIzed P90 - Black on Black

User Info Menu

If you like the way it sounds now, you may regret changing it later. Iirc the SGs had coil splitting, no? At least my SG1000 did...

Thanks for the suggestion- I’ve read good things about the dream and mean 90s.

the later sgs had coil taps. Mine does not.

i like the sound solo- very fat and warm, but in a band situation, it’s too muddy and doesn’t cut. If I were a rock player or in a zep cover band, the Lawrence in the bridge would rule.

thanks for the comments and suggestions.