Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

HI
    This a guitar I'm considering buying as a project. Does anybody have an idea as to what it is. It looks like it says 'Kirri' on the headstock but it looks like a Huttl to me.

Any help would be appreciated

It has a bow in the neck even strung up with 10-46 electric strings.
    So I think a fret board planing or reset and slight planing would be necessary. It has older brass frets.
    It comes with a interesting 'Ideal' brand pickup mounted on a chrome pickguard. The pickup slides back and forth on a separate metal plate.
    It has a high quality looking ebony bridge with a bone saddle that is truncated on the treble side to accommodate the pickup/pickguard arrangement.
    I only have the pictures sent to me by the seller. They are small. The guitar measures 16.5" across the lower bout, I didn't get any other measurements. I suspect it's a laminate top but it's pretty loud even with the light electric strings.
    I wonder if it was refinished black as the paint is on the binding of the treble side F-hole(you can see it in the pictures). Also there's a little overspray inside the guitar and there's a few other things which make me question the originality of the finish.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hüttl

cheers

Thanks!
    The headstock and fretboard look very Huttl
    the bridge is identical
    and that one has paint on the treble F-hole binding that's under the pickguard too..hilarious!

Does anyone know if these were all laminate instruments?

User Info Menu

.010-.046 strings are pretty light. .012-.056 are closer to standard on archtops, and .013 sets are pretty common. Perhaps those heavier gauges would straighten the neck enough. Or perhaps not, impossible to say from way over here.

User Info Menu

ops got the right idea...if it has bow with 10-46 than anything heavier is gonna make it bow worse...even more tension! sounds like he needs the neck to be clamped and straightened....dont know if theres any rod (even non adjustable) in neck...hopefully...otherwise even a reset and fret planing might not cure...it's the wooden neck thats bowed!!! not the angle it meets the body!

try 08's!! hah

luck

cheers

User Info Menu

Bowed neck to me means backbow, which can sometimes be removed with heavier strings. If there is too much relief, and no truss rod, not much can be done with strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Bowed neck to me means backbow, which can sometimes be removed with heavier strings. If there is too much relief, and no truss rod, not much can be done with strings.
    i get you...but way op mentioned trying light strings, i assume he means too much bow...not too straight!!...if there's too much bow, lighter strings will lessen tension..tho cure is as i mentioned...clamp, heat and straighten neck..may work

otherwise he just bought himself a slide guitar!!

cheers

Okay to clarify, The guitar has too much relief with what I would think would be ridiculously light gauge strings on an acoustic.
    I'm betting the 'relief' is not a result of the strings it currently has on it and suspect it would still be there when tension is removed.
    I don't have a straigtening rig, though I know stewmac makes them (I think it's stewmac)I could probably build something and I do have a little luthier/craft iron but it seems to be a gamble/

User Info Menu

exactly...why i said clamp, heat, and straighten is whats needed!

08's was a bit of levity..tho the lighter the string the less tension is true..(in less extreme conditions)

you don't need pricey kit...some clamps. sturdy boards...google it!!!

sounds like you don't have much choice!

good luck

cheers

Well I actually do have a choice as I haven't purchase the guitar yet and humourously I just googled neck straightening before checking back her. It looks pretty straightforward and mighty be fun to try. I've done a few resets on my own 50s Gretschs (they did need it, loose necks), many fret jobs, rebinding and refinishing. Some neck straightening might be a good skill to add. I have an iron, many many clamps, luthier and otherwise ,and all the other bits needed. I have some luthier training. ( a year in a guitar building course too many years ago and some time spent working at Larrivee many years later)

I appreciate the insight and I understood 08s were a joke though I understood the premise of greter/lesser tension

Now I have to see if I can get it at a decent price, otherwise I won't be worth it.
    Any insight as to these levels of Huttls every had solid spruce tops? The one you posted looks it. BUt they made some very convincing laminates.

User Info Menu

cool!!

from pic i posted could very well be a pressed spruce top...even cheap harmony level guitars in 50's-60's had pressed solid spruce...so entirely possible

be nice to know if there's some kind of rod running thu that neck tho...even tho non adjustable..like early martins...betters your odds

sounds like you are up to the task (50's gretsch resets!!! of course!! hah)..keep us posted

cheers

I wouldn't be adverse to a pressed top, they also made very very convincing spruce laminates. One Hofner I had (a 463S..an aesthetically beautiful guitar but acoustically dissapointing) looked solid if you examined the inside with a mirror, till I noticed this one spot right by the year stamp where the spruce laminate had a flaw exposing the inner laminate with contrary grain. Both my 52 Electro 2 and my 55 Convertible have very convincing fake spruce tops but both have pickup routes where you can see the edge grain. I might contact teh seller with an offer I think I can justify and maybe he'll accept.