The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

The Ibanez Piccolo guitar is cool to take with you when you are travelling and you are not too choosy. You can play anything on it if needs be. It's a steel string. But it IS very small. The model is oficially called Ibanez EWP 140 PN. The intonation of the thing is weak and you have to tune it a lot though. Playability is tricky. Neck too cramped for chord melody. Single note and camp fire proof though. Think "better than nothing. In my studio I can get anything to sound good so the sounds you hear are flattered (reverb added) but the thing does have a cute tone and is dirt cheap. For more info click here.

DB

Last edited by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog; 11-12-2019 at 08:51 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks like you're having a lot of fun with it...

User Info Menu

Neck too cramped for chord melody.
    It's possible to play chord melody on a mandolin, players do it all the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    It's possible to play chord melody on a mandolin, players do it all the time.
    Like this guy:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Like this guy:

Yeah but a mandolin has only 4 strings to finger. That's the difference.

Higher up the neck trying to fit 4 fingers on 6 strings in the tiny space between the frets on the Piccolo guitar is a bitch.

DB
    Last edited by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog; 11-12-2019 at 12:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Like this guy:

bruh, that is sick

User Info Menu

Actually, a mandolin has 8 strings, thus very close together. It's purely a matter of technique, which does require practice.

And Aaron Weinstein is a very good mandolin player, as well as a violinist. He has some CDs out with the Pizzarellis, and has played with other musicians, including Frank Vignola.

User Info Menu

acoustic type bridge limits intonation possibilities...try different strings, short scales usually work better with heavy strings

also some short scales work best tuned to A or B..vids seem a bit high tuned..uke sounding..tho well played per usual!!

been wanting to post this about maestro abercrombie on electric mando...seems good a time as any

Small Wonder: John Abercrombie Loves His Electric Mandolin | Fretboard Journal

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 11-16-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

Didn't Ibanez make a little Soprano archtop version for Pat Metheny?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Didn't Ibanez make a little Soprano archtop version for Pat Metheny?
    indeed

User Info Menu

Cool. I found the tone on "Andantino" enchanting.

User Info Menu

DB I think you would make a plank sound good—love the Piccolo Blues! (Somewhere above us JP is smiling down on you...)

For travel I used to take a uke with me, but not really a guitar substitute, except that they both have strings and frets. Nowadays I carry a VoyageAir foldable guitar, with the added bonus that I can fill the guitar with socks and underwear when packing.

Anyway the Ibanez looks like a nice guitar at a great price.