The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

12th fret is a well known store in Toronto for high end used guitars, mandolins and banjos. Pretty much the only store of it's kind in the city (There is one other similar but smaller store). This guitar has been in the store for months. They keep knocking down the price. Now it's at 6750 CAD (comes to around 5000USD). It's not like it has any flaws. It's pristine. Comes even with the original case. Is this another sign that archtop market is dying:
    Gibson Super 400 Archtop Guitar Natural, 1948 | www.12fret.com

Note: This is not a sale post. I'm not selling the guitar nor do I have any affiliations with the store or the owner of the guitar. It's just that I've been seeing a lot of achtops lately with very good prices just collecting dust in the stores.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

refinished

Yeah you're right. I missed that. Still though, according the reverb price guide this is like half price.
    Gibson Super 400 1948 Sunburst Price Guide | Reverb

User Info Menu

1/2 price is typically what a refinished guitar is worth.
    but if you like it make an offer, they'll probably bite.

User Info Menu

It does not look like as photos of the actual selling item, more like "borrowed" stock or article photos,
    Maybe I am wrong... but anyway, above $5000 the buyer expect more than 2 photos and including close ups...)

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    1/2 price is typically what a refinished guitar is worth.
    Wow ruthless.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Wow ruthless.
    I don't set the market, it is what it is...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    It does not look like as photos of the actual selling item, more like "borrowed" stock or article photos,
    Maybe I am wrong... but anyway, above $5000 the buyer expect more than 2 photos and including close ups...)
    nah, they're photos of the actual guitar, I'm sure if you want more they'll email them to you.

I saw and played the guitar a couple of months ago. It's exactly like in the photos. It was too light and acoustic for my expectations from a Gibson archtop. But then it's 1948.
    I was shocked how clean it was. Didn't suspect that it was refinished like a doofus.

I want a refinished 1959 ES 175.

User Info Menu

I saw and played the guitar a couple of months ago. It's exactly like in the photos. It was too light and acoustic for my expectations from a Gibson archtop. But then it's 1948.
    I was shocked how clean it was. Didn't suspect that it was refinished like a doofus.
    well, it is an acoustic guitar, not sure what you were expecting

User Info Menu

nah, they're photos of the actual guitar, I'm sure if you want more they'll email them to you.
    My bad then.

I did not know the actual store and meanwhile I googled using the picture and did not found match so I concluded I was wrong, it's original.

well, it is an acoustic guitar, not sure what you were expecting
    I played other super 400's none of the were nearly as light weight as the one in the ad.

User Info Menu

I played other super 400's none of the were nearly as light weight as the one in the ad.
    were they acoustic Super 400s? pickups, pots, knobs, etc add weight

were they acoustic Super 400s? pickups, pots, knobs, etc add weight
    Some of them. There is more to weight of the build than the hardware. Of course gravity does it's part, but super 400's I played felt more thickly carved than this one. There was an acoustic L7 in the store when I played the S400 which felt heavier.

User Info Menu

refinishing requires sanding, that'll thin things out a bit.

User Info Menu

Refin without a serial number on the label......I think it’s priced fairly.

User Info Menu

My 51' Super 300 non cutaway weighs 6 lb 2 oz /2.78 kilo with original finish and no pickup.
    Will

User Info Menu

My bad then.

I did not know the actual store and meanwhile I googled using the picture and did not found match so I concluded I was wrong, it's original.
    Probably the most reputable store in Canada.

User Info Menu

refinishing requires sanding, that'll thin things out a bit.
    I'd have to think a natural -original-to-natural refinish wouldn't remove too much ' meat '......But I'd agree original sunburst-to-refinish in natural would mean some aggressive sanding....

Yes, no or ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    I'd have to think a natural -original-to-natural refinish wouldn't remove too much ' meat '......But I'd agree original sunburst-to-refinish in natural would mean some aggressive sanding....

Yes, no or ?
    probably correct Dennis, I was just funnin'

User Info Menu

I wouldn't feel too bad about not having spotted the 'refinish'. The color was an original natural, so you wouldn't have seen the telltale marks that are typical of sunburst-to-natural refinishes.

User Info Menu

Refin
    Non-original pick guard
    None cutaway
    Still, $6750 is $5,000 usd and a good price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Refin
    Non-original pick guard
    None cutaway
    Still, $6750 is $5,000 usd and a good price.
    Agreed, but I wouldn’t say ridiculously good. I got a straight 55 L5N last summer for $4200
    Last edited by customxke; 02-25-2020 at 01:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    Agreed, but I wouldn’t say ridiculously good. I got a straight 55 L5N last summer for $4200 last year
    You did good !! Nice going !!