The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hi, I am new here as a poster, but have been doing a lot of research on this site. Thank you to all that have posted so much great info! I am looking to add a hollow body to my collection and something in the $400-$600 range. Also want to get the full experience so hoping for a 17" body. I have a Gretsch Electromatic with their Filter'trons and that is a 16" and while a cool axe doesn't get that classic Jazz tone. I don't have a lot locally to try so this may be an online purchase.

I have read some good reviews on the Washburn J3, but some are older reviews. At some point I believe they moved production to China, and while I don't care where it's made, I don't know if the reviews here reflect models made in China or Korea ( Indonesia ?) Also it's hard to tell sometimes if the online seller doesn't post a photo that gives an indication. So for the Washburn J3 is there a "better" quality based on country of mfg.?

Also as the title says, I am considering a Epi JP which I know is slightly smaller, and maybe an Ibanez ES-175 size model in my range. A quick suggestion on these other possibilities would be appreciated if anyone has a suggestion.

Lastly I have a set of humbuckers ready to go for this purchase. Part of the reason for my desire to buy a Jazz box is to find a home for some Bartolini's I have had sitting idle for 25 years! A 1C and I believe a V-88.

Thanks for any suggestions, advise. I have played a little jazz in the past and want to dive in more.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a 2016 Washburn J600k 17” made in China. Replaced the junk electronics and had a luthier level and polish the frets. Numerous finish issues. Dead acoustically but slightly improved with bronze strings. Put in/on a Benedetto S6 floater. ~$800 all in for a meh guitar.

User Info Menu

Try to find a Korean-made Epi Emperor Regent. Mine is from -99, impeccably made and stable. Abalone, five-layer bindings etc. People in the know say that the D'Angelico Excels of the same period are actually the same guitar.

User Info Menu

Epiphone Broadway
    If you have the right pick-up to fit in, you can't go wrong with a MiK.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of Epiphone Broadways. I don't own one but every one I played were fantastic. They are relatively easy to find used and within your price range.

User Info Menu

Plus one for the MIK Epiphone Broadways and Emperor Regents. A colleague had a Broadway and I have an Emperor Regent. We gigged extensively with those instruments to good effect. He used cello tape over his f-holes to control feedback. I use right and left hand damping. Both great bang-for-buck instruments. Since you've got pups on hand, Ibanez makes wonderful platforms for upgrades. I have had several and love 'em. Great QC.

My ER has a great neck, one of the best I've ever had. Ibanez necks are also nice and have volutes, which I count as a plus. As always, try before you buy or make sure of a lenient return policy. Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice! Will look for a Broadway. I may need to stick closer to give or take $500 so as another option, are the Ibanez AF's going to be 17" body guitars? What I have seen in the AF range at my price point is MIC, which again is not an issue. My Gretsch Electromatic is Korean made ( 2016) and it's pretty acceptable to me as far as fit and finish goes. An intermittent wonky p/u selector that needs to be sorted but otherwise fine. I know what the expectations are tone wise at this price. Also thanks to whoever runs this site, just downloaded the Jazz Guide and Chord Dictionary! I am sure I'll enjoy them.
    Last edited by Dave T; 11-12-2019 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

+1 for the Epiphone Broadway
    A friend of mine has one - it's a great guitar.
    The electronics aren't brilliant, but that can be replaced. Main thing is that the guitar itself is good.

I've got the more upmarket japanese made Epiphone Emperor from the early 80's - the Broadway compares well to it.

User Info Menu

You may want to find an Eastman 371.
    I don’t usually go around recommending Gibson copies but the Eastman 371’s are really nice guitars. They are hand made and feature a lighter build, sort of like a 50’s 175. Good luck.
    JD
    Ps, i would have thought the Gretsch that you have would be very capable of getting the jazz sound.

User Info Menu

Eastman AR371 is certainly a good and nice guitar but has a 16" lower bout, not 17".

User Info Menu

I thought the OP was open to sizes other than 17".
    If 17" is a must, An Epiphone Emperor Regent gets my vote here.
    Check out our very own Fred Archtop's videos for more. You cant go wrong with that guitar. Too bad it doesnt come with his chops!
    JD

Thanks for the suggestions once again. I wanted a 17" but have purchased an Eastman AR372 CE. Not quite the ES- 175 spec I believe as it's a 16" body but I think it's a slightly thicker body than the ES-175. In any event it was a lot of guitar for the price and a friend owns on and was very positive about it being a good fit for my needs/wants. I should have it sometime next week !!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T
    Thanks for the suggestions once again. I wanted a 17" but have purchased an Eastman AR372 CE. Not quite the ES- 175 spec I believe as it's a 16" body but I think it's a slightly thicker body than the ES-175. In any event it was a lot of guitar for the price and a friend owns on and was very positive about it being a good fit for my needs/wants. I should have it sometime next week !!
    Good choice.
    Enjoy your new guitar. Make good music with it.
    JD