The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

What would be the difference in terms of specs, construction, woods and sound? Which is more desirable and why?Any difference in price levels? I am talking about the models with humbuckers.

Thanks,

DB
    Last edited by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog; 11-09-2019 at 06:04 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The ones with PAFS are going to cost an arm and a leg. I never heard the pickup difference.

Woods, etc, are pretty much the same.

User Info Menu

I own a 59 reissue and have played a few genuine late 50's models. I also owned a genuine 1963 example. Here are my thoughts:

The 50's models are more "acoustic" meaning that they have thinner tops.

The 50's models have a thicker neck profile (by far)

The 50's pickups (alnico 2 long magnet PAF's) are a bit darker/bassier than the 60's models (alnico 5 short magnet PAF/early patents stickers)

The sunburst of the 50's are 2 tone whereas the sunburst of the 60's are 3 tone

The tuners of the 50's are single ring whereas the tuners of the 60's are double ring

The case of the 50's are brown whereas the case of the 60's are black

The knobs on the 50's are "bonnet knobs" whereas the knobs of the 60's are "reflector knobs".

The one you like better is more "desirable" The ones with PAF stickers as opposed to Patent number stickers will cost more.

HTH

User Info Menu

Just to deviate a bit, but I actually prefer the newer heavier built Gig ES-175 guitars to the old ones. They are generally more feedback prone and sometimes use prettier looking veneers as well.
    Just an opinion, but they are also way more affordable as well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Just to deviate a bit, but I actually prefer the newer heavier built Gig ES-175 guitars to the old ones. They are generally more feedback prone and sometimes use prettier looking veneers as well.
    I already own a 1982 175 that I like a lot. A very cool sounding 175 with mahogany for the back and sides. So I don't really need a newer one.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I own a 59 reissue and have played a few genuine late 50's models. I also owned a genuine 1963 example. Here are my thoughts:

The 50's pickups (alnico 2 long magnet PAF's) are a bit darker/bassier than the 60's models (alnico 5 short magnet PAF/early patents stickers)

The tuners of the 50's are single ring whereas the tuners of the 60's are double ring

The knobs on the 50's are "bonnet knobs" whereas the knobs of the 60's are "reflector knobs".

The one you like better is more "desirable" The ones with PAF stickers as opposed to Patent number stickers will cost more.

HTH
    So the 58 and 59 ones have bigger necks than let's say, a 1961 or 62 one? I had no idea about that. Thanks.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    So the 58 and 59 ones have bigger necks than let's say, a 1961 or 62 one? I had no idea about that. Thanks.

DB
    to get a little more specific, most '57 and 58's are Louisville Sluggers [think big] until about mid '59 ish. That's when you get the, well, let's call it the Goldilocks neck, not too big, not too small, but just right. Once '60 rolls around you get the tapeworm neck, wide and flat until around '63-'64 ish when it gets closer to that 'perfect' mid '59
    once '65 rolls around they're usually thin again until the narrow nut width of late '65 creeps in and stays that way the rest of the decade until mid '69 ish when the nut width gets wide again.
    there will be variations in most yrs of course, but this is a general overview.

User Info Menu

I was referring to the all laminate maple ES-175 for the newer ones . They have some at Wildwoodguitars.com in Colorado.
    They have a Red and Natural 175's in the Used Guitar section.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    As a 60s 175 player I do believe this is the case.

I’ve not had trouble with mine feeding back, but I don’t tend to play super loud gigs. The very bright and resonant response can translate into a bit of nasality in the tone which can be useful but also I end up eq’ing out in some rooms. I think the newer ones are smoother sounding. OTOH I find them lacking in character. My guitar has bags of character. Sometimes it drives me up the wall, like the daft little neck, but on a good night like last night it has a real sound.

It keeps saying ‘look you little s**t I’ve been around a bit longer than you, and you have a lot to learn. You play by my rules ok? You stick your thumb over the neck and play like a real guitarist and stop trying to do that high falutin’ Lage Lund bs. You hit the strings a bit harder and forget that silly legato rubbish. Also keep the treble on you doofus.’

I would say that 60s 175s are often similar in price to new ones, so it’s a matter of preference really. I think I come in at the amplified acoustic end of the jazz guitarist spectrum, rather than electric player if that makes any sense.

User Info Menu

I say buy a newer one they are usually cheaper and frankly if you can simply play one you are looking for it will be the way to go. Too many variables in the situation to get a true grasp of sometimes very small differences. Much as I don't like mahagony on guitars it does seem the mahagony neck 175's have better sound. I think be cause mahagony has more flex than maple and a 175 is not carved top so gets a bit more of the lower end bass. I suppose to me the sound is rounder, but in any given room due to the acoustics you probably could throw that out the window.

A good 175 through a nice matched amp is a thing of joy, it is like trying to find the piece of rice in a 50 pound bag of sand.........you have to hunt around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger

HTH

Great overview.

How would You say about the 59 reissue in this comparison? Just same as 50's models (not counting the PAF bonus value)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Great overview.

How would You say about the 59 reissue in this comparison? Just same as 50's models (not counting the PAF bonus value)?
    My 59 reissue (2017 Memphis model) is the equal of any late 50's 175 that I have played. That said, I have heard reports from several guitarists (whose opinion I respect) that the quality of the 59 reissues is all over the map and that there are quite a few dogs out there. Caveat Emptor.

User Info Menu

I’ve had an original ‘57, three ‘59 Reissues, and several earlier ‘50s with P90s. The original ‘50s guitars were all somewhat light weight than the reissues and more resonant, but the reissues were lighter than more modern versions, closer to the originals.

By the way, the ‘57 I had had a full C shaped neck, but definitely not a baseball bat. It wasn’t any bigger than a modern “50s” Gibson neck. They do vary though. There is no single neck carve from that period.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    to get a little more specific, most '57 and 58's are Louisville Sluggers [think big] until about mid '59 ish. That's when you get the, well, let's call it the Goldilocks neck, not too big, not too small, but just right. Once '60 rolls around you get the tapeworm neck, wide and flat until around '63-'64 ish when it gets closer to that 'perfect' mid '59
    once '65 rolls around they're usually thin again until the narrow nut width of late '65 creeps in and stays that way the rest of the decade until mid '69 ish when the nut width gets wide again.
    there will be variations in most yrs of course, but this is a general overview.
    I have had a number of ES-175’s from different periods. I currently have an original ‘59 (natural, with two pickups) and a ‘69 (sunburst with two pickups and a 1 11/16” nut). My ‘59 is the best 175 I have ever played. IMO, it has a perfect neck, a little chunky but not too much. The paf’s sound amazing - warm and creamy. I wouldn’t say it has a thin top. In fact, I think it is a little heavier built than the earlier p90 versions. I believe that having some weight in the body has a lot to do with the amplified sound, which I find to be about as good as it gets. I highly recommend finding a late ‘50’s model with one or two paf’s. They are not really that expensive when you think of what people pay for rock guitars from the same era.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I had a really clean '59 twin paf model w the same neck Keith describes. It was an earlier '59 so it was a little chunkier than what a late '59 or early '60 would be but very playable and I have big hands anyway.
    That guitar played and sounded great but ultimately I sold it as I'm a dyed in the wool 25.5 scale big box guy and prefer L-5's and Super 400's.
    But I can't imagine a humbucker 175 sounding better. The paf/early pat sticker hype is real, especially in a good sounding guitar.
    I also agree w Keith that heavier archtops w built in pickups sound fatter.