The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 141

User Info Menu

As I said in my OP, I told the owner what would probably need to be done, and now that I've gone over the amp a bit, I was mostly right. It had a medium level persistent hum, so new filter caps, and howls at certain settings, so new tubes. What gave me pause was the three-wire line cord. The owner told me she had never had work done on it, but I hadn't asked her if she had bought it new. She hadn't, which means I don't know what else had been done to it. She thinks she bought it forty or more years ago, so it probably wasn't heavily modded. It has a broken Intensity pot, but the other controls worked, as does the reverb, the trem, and the footswitch. At settings where it's not howling it really sounds pretty good, assuming you ignore the hum. Looks to be '72-'73.

Fender Vibrolux Silverface Reverb-fender-vr-gracie_01-jpgFender Vibrolux Silverface Reverb-fender-vr-gracie_01_01-jpgFender Vibrolux Silverface Reverb-fender-vr-gracie_01_03-jpgFender Vibrolux Silverface Reverb-fender-vr-gracie_01_02-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks to be in great shape.

What are they looking to get for it...after applying the JGF discount, of course.

User Info Menu

The 3 conductor power cord could easily be stock. My '71-2 Twin R. had one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Looks to be in great shape.

What are they looking to get for it...after applying the JGF discount, of course.
    I'm working on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack
    The 3 conductor power cord could easily be stock. My '71-2 Twin R. had one.
    I took another look and think you are right. It's got a red plug, which is what Fender used back then, and it's got a grounded utility outlet, which I doubt anyone would have updated. The ground switch threw me, but I remember they kept that for awhile since lots of venues still had two-wire outlets, and it's got a center off position.

Thank you!

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    I'm working on that.

I took another look and think you are right. It's got a red plug, which is what Fender used back then, and it's got a grounded utility outlet, which I doubt anyone would have updated. The ground switch threw me, but I remember they kept that for awhile since lots of venues still had two-wire outlets, and it's got a center off position.

Thank you!

Danny W.
    My ‘73 Vibrolux Reverb also came with the red grounded plug, but it it has the earlier “tail” logo (see picture). I believe the change to the non-tail logo, like the one on your neighbor’s amp, took place sometime during ‘73 or ‘74 (amp experts, please chime in). I have owned three Vibroluxes since the 1960’s and they are really nice amps, right in the middle of the lineup. Reasonable power but not too heavy.
    Keith
    Fender Vibrolux Silverface Reverb-9fa66dbe-a89b-4e22-bf0a-e123dd9b1eb3-jpg

User Info Menu

My '80s VR has a ground switch. I don't think I've ever bothered to move the toggle, in 30+ years. It has a replacement plug, but the cord is original. I don't remember if I replaced the plug or if it came that way, but it's certainly a replacement.

User Info Menu

I've been on the hunt for a Vibrolux for a while. I checked out a reissue at one point but there was a ghost in the machine. The silverface were in my price range and decided to search out a decent '76, the year I was born. Got this one.
    It needs caps and power tubes...and the speakers reconed.
    But I love it! And my wife thinks the color of the lettering is cute. So there's that...
    Fender Vibrolux Silverface Reverb-vibrolux-jpg

User Info Menu

I like the silverfaces better than the blackface sound, generally speaking (amps do vary, of course). I have a 1972 Pro Reverb that is a wonderful sounding amp, although with 2 JBL K120s, it doesn't sound quite original and it weighs quite a bit more.

Congratulations and enjoy your new amp!

User Info Menu

my favorite amp for smaller gigs is a blackface VR, though I normally use blackface Twins for the extra juice on most gigs.
    enjoy it...

User Info Menu

I have an early '80s VR, which doesn't look nearly as nice as yours. Reconing the speakers didn't help much, if at all. They just sounded bad. Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers made a dramatic difference to me. I bought the amp used in the early '90s, and mostly it just sat, because I didn't like the sound of it. Recently I changed the speakers, and now I actually play through it occasionally.

User Info Menu

nice..looks clean cosmetically...solid amp...

a pair of jj 6l6's are nice power tubes for it

congrats & enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Nice! VRs are great. Now you'll sound just like Peter Bernstein.

John

User Info Menu

It's funny, back in the day no one wanted VRs, everyone liked Twins, Pros and Deluxes for combo amps, you could barely give a VR away.
    Then in the 90s they started catching on and became about the hottest Fender, though Princetons and Deluxes have really surged in recent yrs.

User Info Menu

A Vibrolux Reverb was the amp of choice for the late, great Roy Buchanan, IIRC. You are in good company. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    It's funny, back in the day no one wanted VRs, everyone liked Twins, Pros and Deluxes for combo amps, you could barely give a VR away.
    Then in the 90s they started catching on and became about the hottest Fender, though Princetons and Deluxes have really surged in recent yrs.
    its all part of the trend towards lighter more portable amps...the generation of tube amp lovers is gettin olde my friend!!

vibrolux is like mini twin..half the power tubes and 2-10's instead of 12's...and that's even big for most nowadays..abt 50 lbs...but two 6l6's is really a great thing..not nearly as gritty as the 6v6s used by deluxe and princeton...you can stay loud and clean that much better

the right 10" speakers are also essential...lotsa great choices these days...really makes a huge difference..in tone, volume and weight!!

fender went through lots of different speaker makers in those days...some of them not so great!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    its all part of the trend towards lighter more portable amps...the generation of tube amp lovers is gettin olde my friend!!

vibrolux is like mini twin..half the power tubes and 2-10's instead of 12's...and that's even big for most nowadays..abt 50 lbs...but two 6l6's is really a great thing..not nearly as gritty as the 6v6s used by deluxe and princeton...you can stay loud and clean that much better

the right 10" speakers are also essential...lotsa great choices these days...really makes a huge difference..in tone, volume and weight!!

fender went through lots of different speaker makers in those days...some of them not so great!

cheers
    Exactly, though VRs came w Oxfords '64 to late '65, then Jensens late '65 through '66, back to Oxfords in '67.
    To me the brown and gold label Jensens are the best, very full and rich sounding, they're all I use including the 12" version in blackface Twins.
    Twins had Jensens in '64, Oxfords in '65, back to Jensens in '66 and back to Oxfords in '68.
    But you could special order a Twin w JBLs.
    Leo must have gotten a deal on Jensens in '66 and '67.

User Info Menu

^ absolutely wm, but by '76...they were using last of cts, and utahs, and early eminence...& ceramic mags not alnico...

the once mighty jbl d series (and even k) alnicos long gone!

today the choices are great!!..can get just about anything...but a good alnico jbl d series clone!!..too costly!

cheers

ps- leo sold fender in jan '65...cbs "negotiated" for those jensens!! haha

User Info Menu

This one has Oxfords that need to be replaced. I'm open to suggestions on speakers...there are so many options it's overwhelming.
    I haven't tried a whole lot of speakers. I have an alnico Weber in my 5e3 kit that I I've been happy with. A Tone Tubby red alnico in my 65 Amps Tupelo. Like that too. No experience with 10's though.

User Info Menu

Depends on what sound you're going for. If you like clean a Weber 10F-150 is probably a better speaker than any of the old speakers that came stock in VRs

User Info Menu

"
    ps- leo sold fender in jan '65...cbs "negotiated" for those jensens!! haha"

good point, probably explains why you're still seeing Oxfords through '65 as they used up their old stock

User Info Menu

yes really subjective...what direction you want to take the amp in...i like alnico speakers...especially modern celestion..they have tight deep resonant low end..not boomy...flat mids and nice highs..they are also efficient so you get max volume for your watts...they can also stay clean until pushed..

tone tubby is in your area..they make great alnicos too..

many choices..some even use 2 different types in a combo...

its a trial and error rabbithole...good luck and have fun!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I'd like tight punchy bass...one of the appealing features of 10s in general.
    I'd like some volume...so something fairly efficient.
    And I don't want anything that will detract from the Fender-ish characteristics.
    I have tended to lean toward alnico over the years, but I'm not committed to that.

I was considering Tone Tubby 40/40s. Or maybe the Weber 10F150H or 10A150H. I do like the smoother highs that I associate with hemp cones.

User Info Menu

I put a TT40/40 in a Princeton Reverb. I originally bought it to place into a 2-10 Fender Concert because the (Fender labelled) Eminence Legend 1058 's were very strident and too bold. I wanted to tone it down.
    But before I put it into the Concert, I tried it in the PR. It was horrible - killed the tone of a great PR. So I put it in the Concert and it balanced the other speaker Brilliantly. One punchy, and one mellow! What a beautiful full and woody sound, with definition.

The leftover Eminence went into the PR, and again, miraculous tone with increased efficiency.
    In my Princeton Reverb II, I use the Eminence Allessandro 64 (?) It's a 12 inch. Beautiful old Jensenish tone.
    Last edited by Jimmy Mack; 11-08-2019 at 10:52 PM. Reason: adding to description

User Info Menu

lastly, as i wrote ^..its a rabbit-hole..to each his own..

but, don't equate celestion with non fender british tone..they currently make a vast great line of speakers...and their alnicos are amongst the best ever...

regardless of us/uk tone speculation...don't dismiss based on that..their golds, ruby and creambacks are all worth serious consideration..for any amp!

cheers

User Info Menu

These are killer amps, everything sounds great through them! I played through one at a gig recently and i remembered why people carry these big Fenders...! Enjoy it!