The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Hi,

I'm starting to do more gigs with a quartet with drums and need an amp that is portable and something that has a warm tone that can really bring out the tone of my 1980 175. I was thinking about this princeton reverb online? Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb - musical instruments - by owner
    What do you guys think? I would prefer an amp that can maintain tone at all volumes. I have considered Henriksens and DV Marks but there's no used ones in my area and I'm someone who likes to try gear before purchasing.

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A Princeton is a good amp, that can sound great.

You have to mind it's only a 2x 6V6 amp, that puts out only 12-15 watts before distortion. The Custom-series are voiced to break up even a little earlier. And, as it is a tube amp, it is pretty heavy. I think a Princeton is about or maybe even over the limit for an amp that you can carry comfortably in public transport for example.

So two things to consider imho:
    - how loud is your quartet?
    - how would you transport your amp most of the time?

For a quartet with drums, bass, piano and guitar in a quiet room where band volume stays modest, a Princeton reaches out and sounds great imho, especially when placed on the floor to get some more 'oomph' in the low end (it can sound a little boxy - it's a small amp with a 10"). But in a bar with a noisy audience you will soon get some hair on your tone, especially with a 175 with humbuckers. Now you either like that or not. Personally I have played a 70ies Princeton (Non-verb) with my 125 with P90 in noisy bars and liked it. I think the non-verbs have a little more headroom but it got raunchy in a pleasant way and the 10" gives more focus and less low-end which is good to cut through.

User Info Menu

Your price range might help you get some good advice.

Have you got a Guitar Center nearby? Their return policy for new or used gear can leave one with some nice options at no risk.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender
    Your price range might help you get some good advice.

Yep -- a budget always helps with gear recommendations, thanks! Tube amps are $300 - 3000 (plus) USD.

User Info Menu

That Princeton is only 12 watts and designed to breakup early, no clean headroom, and would not like a neck humbucker very much.
    Can't you find a new DV Mark DV Jazz 12 45 Watt 1x12 Jazz Combo somewhere with return options, it's affordable and should do the job.

User Info Menu

FWIW, I gig often with a tweed Deluxe. This has the same power output as the Princeton Reverb reissue. I never have difficulty in the wineries, microbreweries, clubs, auditoriums, etc., that I play.

I think you would be pleased with the PR.

PS: gigging Sunday; the band has requested that I use the tweed Deluxe.

User Info Menu

Have you been following the Tone Master threads?

User Info Menu

The Tone Masters look intriguing. Lawson Stone's TMTR sounds very nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    FWIW, I gig often with a tweed Deluxe. This has the same power output as the Princeton Reverb reissue. I never have difficulty in the wineries, microbreweries, clubs, auditoriums, etc., that I play.

I think you would be pleased with the PR
    I agree. I've been using a PRRI for the past three or four weeks when rehearsing with a local theater group. The amp can be carried comfortably and gets out on top of the brass and percussion. Highly recommended.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

I have a vintage Blackface Princeton with a JBL D-110F and except for the loudest rooms, it does fine ( and that is with a neck humbucker!). If you need more clean headroom, a Deluxe Reverb will get you there (I actually replaced my Silverface Deluxe reverb with a Mesa 50 Caliber. It is the same weight as a Deluxe Reverb, around 45 pounds and has more clean headroom than I will ever need. And they are way cheaper).

IMO, for jazz, a Princeton or Deluxe needs a speaker upgrade if you are using a hollowbody with a neck humbucker.

User Info Menu

A Quilter at 20 lbs will outperform any reasonable weight tube amp. Tubes have become too expensive and unreliable. Save yourself some grief...I don,t mean to criticize the Princeton...Afine unit in its 60,s form... Not worth the trouble imho...mickmac

Thanks for all your responses. I have a fairly low budget under 500. What do you guys think of DV Mark Jazz 12. Does it get loud enough. Will it be able to bring out the warm tone of my 175? I was considering Henriksen but their just too expensive even the old ones. How does the sound of a DV Mark Jazz 12 compare to a Henriksen?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skadiddle12
    Thanks for all your responses. I have a fairly low budget under 500. What do you guys think of DV Mark Jazz 12. Does it get loud enough. Will it be able to bring out the warm tone of my 175? I was considering Henriksen but their just too expensive even the old ones. How does the sound of a DV Mark Jazz 12 compare to a Henriksen?
    Those are good amps. It will certainly bring out your 175's tone. As for loud enough, it will depend on the room and the band. They are pretty robust amps, though.

User Info Menu

The smart buy is the right silverface fender and $150 to a tech. You’ll end up with a hand wired blackface in disguise that’ll run another 30 years and sound as good if not better than the 3k boutique offerings available new.

My 2 cents...

User Info Menu

For many years I used a Fender deluxe with my ES-175. When my supply of old stock tubes ran out I sold the innards and replaced it with a cut down SideKick Bass 65, added a tweeter. To tell the truth I can't hear a difference.

On the rare occasion that I get out the 175 I use a Fishman LoudBox Mini. I like it and would never go back.

Before I went for a high priced tube amp I would play through any of what Fishman has to offer. In my opinion less expensive, lighter, and more powerful.

User Info Menu

Just try the Fender Deluxe Reverb Tone Master before you buy something. Not tubes, but it's getting some great reviews... and it's light to carry, should be plenty loud, and you can get the same sound at various volumes with the attenuator.

User Info Menu

Did anyone read that his budget is $500?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Did anyone read that his budget is $500?
    The best tube amp I have is a 60ies Framus Strato 345.... bought for €150 ($175). I gig with it all the time and it is pretty light for a tube amp (less than a Deluxe Reverb):

(2xEL36, 12”, 25 watts or so)

And I found a great Dynacord DA-16/v chassis for €100 that I put into a cab:

(2xEL84, 12”, 18 watts, 10kgs)

Now of course you needs some luck and effort to locate these, but if you know some more about tube amp maintenance, you can find real vintage gems out there that sound great! Old Dynacord, Selmer, Meazzi, Davoli, FBT.....

But I realize this is not a very practical recommendation..... ;-)

User Info Menu

A sleeper tube amp that ventures into Princeton territory is the Laney LC15R, with reverb, that can often be found for around $100-150. 2x EL84 tubes, around 15 watts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone

I think you would be pleased with the PR.

PS: gigging Sunday; the band has requested that I use the tweed Deluxe.
    He's looking at a silverface 68 custom princeton reverb ri, not a 65 PRRI, two different amps. I would not recommend the 68 ri that's been customized by fender as a crunchy amp.

User Info Menu

For that budget I'd look for a used blues junior. I've been playing these for like 15 years and it is one of my favorite amps regardless of budget. I've been using our bass player's blues junior a couple of times before getting my own. We did some A-B recordings with the polytone I was playing then and the blues junior won by far. It doesn't have overwhelming bass – which is a good thing IMHO, let's just say the bass is tight and controlled at reasonable volumes. It has the nice fender top end. And it has always been loud enough for any jazz gig, also for any blues and soul gigs. And ist has zero noise. Between the volume and master you can dial in clean tones or a little grant green drive at any volume. The reverb is not great but good enough on 2 to take away the dryness of a small room (aren't most jazz gigs in small rooms these days?). Honestly given the choice between a Princeton and this, I'd get a Blues Junior anytime.

User Info Menu

Here comes my plug for the Roland Blues Cube Artist or Stage, and the BOSS Katana 100W Mark II or Artist. The BOSS Katana 100 Mark II has a remarkably nice Clean channel, even if you don't use any other feature. Comes in at $360 new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    A sleeper tube amp that ventures into Princeton territory is the Laney LC15R, with reverb, that can often be found for around $100-150. 2x EL84 tubes, around 15 watts.

I believe that basically the Monoprice Stage Right 15 watt is the same amp. I've seen photos of the PCB of the Monoprice with the "Laney" name stamped on it.

Advice on buying a tube amp-monoprice15watt-jpg

User Info Menu

How about a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe? You can always replace the 12ax7 preamp tube with a 12ay7 for Cleaner tone. As well as the speaker for a Neodymium one. That's what the George Benson version Fender does.

But you might want to try a Quilter Aviator amp and save yourself the hassles with tube amps,lol!

User Info Menu

My Peavey Classic 30 is holding up well twenty years in. Paid $300 new. Think they’re closer to $500 now and made in China instead of St. Louis. Look for a used one.